Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fed up of public transport/Driving license question

Fed up of public transport/Driving license question

Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fed up of public transport/Driving license question

So I am getting pretty fed up of journeys taking at least twice as long as they would in a car of my own.

I took the driving test this week and due to lack of sleep the night before and general exhaustion I wasn't as focused as I could have been, and nerves got the better of me - so I failed, which is pretty embarrassing considering I have been driving for years in the UK (Pulaski, feel free to mock at will )

Question I have - I know that you are supposed to get your license exchanged within 30 days in NY state by applying for a NYS license ... but while you are waiting for road-test etc. are you allowed some leeway? Can I drive on my UK license whilst I am waiting to be tested even it has been a few months?

It is really restricting my job-hunt as all the good (i.e. paying a living wage) jobs are in the 'burbs and I am stuck downtown at the moment with very few prospects for employment ...

Hoffage
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed up of public transport/Driving license question

Can I drive on my UK license whilst I am waiting to be tested even it has been a few months?
Legally no, since you have established residence, but you will most likely get leeway if you're stopped.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Legally no, since you have established residence, but you will most likely get leeway if you're stopped.
Thanks Civil - yeah just tempted to get on with it, as doing things the right way is not proving fruitful and I am having to reject potential jobs because they are too far away otherwise.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Thanks Civil - yeah just tempted to get on with it, as doing things the right way is not proving fruitful and I am having to reject potential jobs because they are too far away otherwise.
The issue is, now that you've got a failed test behind you, your insurance might not cover you, especially if you're passed the 30 days.

All about your risk tolerance for an accident and/or repercussions of driving without insurance in the state etc.

Realistically, nothing will probably come of it, people drive without a license all the time...but that's not what you asked was it.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would check with your local DMV. Once I had passed my written test, I was given a temporary license which allowed me to drive unaccompanied due to the fact I had a UK license. Of course, even if your state does this, you may not qualify once you have failed a behind the wheel test.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
.... I took the driving test this week and due to lack of sleep the night before and general exhaustion I wasn't as focused as I could have been, and nerves got the better of me - so I failed, which is pretty embarrassing considering I have been driving for years in the UK (Pulaski, feel free to mock at will ) ....

Sorry buddy, I feel for you.

Have you been waiting this long just to do your test? You know that you don't have to do the road test locally, don't you? I did my road test in NY, and was offered dates three months away, but we went on line and found that the further away from NYC and big cities we looked, the sooner I could take my test. I ended up taking it the following week, in Herkimer, NY.

Originally Posted by Bob
The issue is, now that you've got a failed test behind you, your insurance might not cover you, especially if you're passed the 30 days. ....
I agree with Bob, and Mark; having failed a test I think you may have a real problem, and unless you can find something specific in writing (there are plenty of cops and DMV staff who apparently spout cräp about what is and is not legal) that says (i) you can drive on your current permit and/or UK license, AND (ii) that you have valid insurance, I could not in good conscience recommend that you drive until you have passed your test.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 26th 2014 at 2:59 am.