Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Family moving to New York

Family moving to New York

Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family moving to New York

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Ecto17....looks like I posted a very similar response! great minds ha!
Do you live in one of these towns?
Haha! It is like a NJ cheer squad has taken over this thread!!! We are in Somerset County in Basking Ridge. We didn't need the direct train for commuting so decided on a bigger and newer house slightly further out but 20 mins from Summit so still go there for the train and for the lovely restaurants! I did love all those towns thou!
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Family moving to New York

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
There are many many suburbs of NYC and each has its own particular flavor and so you have to be careful to end up in the right one for you. Some towns may have great elementary schools, but not such great middle schools. Some are great for buying, but lousy for rentals. I've heard of people using a company called Suburban Jungle Realty and I think it would be well worth using a consultant or real estate agency to help you find the right town and property.

I live in Brownstone Brooklyn and am very happy there, but a lot of people do make the move out of the city. Popular towns for families are Montclair and Maplewood in NJ.
So many families have moved out from Park Slope, Brooklyn to Maplewood NJ that it is even unofficially called "Brooklyn West" There are even realtors bringing people over from Brooklyn in small buses to view properties in Maplewood/South Orange lol!

To the O/P: I live in the next township over, but the Millburn township schools are not as 'relaxed' in vibe as the Maplewood schools. You say you're bringing your dog - there is the huge South Mountain Reservation which skirts South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn and West Orange; it has hiking trails and there is a dog park (a great way to meet other dog owners). Also adjacent to the reservation is the Turtle Back Zoo, treetop trail, mini golf course, play park, restaurant/bar and a boating lake.

I know a very nice expat from Wimbledon who is a realtor in the Maplewood/South Orange/Millburn & Short Hills area (her spouse commutes to Manhatten). She has two websites; one for properties and the other is her expat blog...a wealth of information for new expats to the US and info pertinent to NJ:-

www.the-british-agent.com

and www.njexpatguru.com

Hope this helps!

W

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 30th 2017 at 1:22 am.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Just to throw ideas into the pot, we just moved to Bayside in Queens and it's a truly delightful place. We pay $2900 for a two bed, two bath, two balcony apartment on a quiet leafy street that's a four minute walk to the LIRR. That gets me into Penn Station in 20 minutes on the fast service. The train I get goes to Great Neck, which might be an option for you.

I would strongly recommend getting the app Citymapper on your phone (you may already use it if you're a Londoner as I was!) and try out some of the commuting options on that. It uses live and predictive data from all the public transport services and - in my experience - has been overwhelmingly the most accurate predictor of commute times vs just using Google Maps or equivalent.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

There are express trains from NJ suburban towns too in peak hours am and pm (my spouse takes these trains quite often). The lines and timetables can be found here for the trains, ferries, PATH subway trains and buses:

New Jersey Transit - Home