Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA driver's license on an F1 visa

CA driver's license on an F1 visa

Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default CA driver's license on an F1 visa

A friend of mine just arrived on an F1 visa and wants to get a California driver's license while he is here.

According to the CA DMV web site information on "Limited Term Legal Presence"

All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date/legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Since he is on an F1 visa his I-94 (which along with his passport is, I believe, his "legal presence document") doesn't have an expiration date - it is just marked D/S - "duration of status".

Does anyone know how the CA DMV interprets this in terms of what the expiration date on his license will be?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA driver's license on an F1 visa

Originally Posted by md95065
A friend of mine just arrived on an F1 visa and wants to get a California driver's license while he is here.

Since he is on an F1 visa his I-94 (which along with his passport is, I believe, his "legal presence document") doesn't have an expiration date - it is just marked D/S - "duration of status".

Does anyone know how the CA DMV interprets this in terms of what the expiration date on his license will be?
Things may have changed, but back in 1996 I was on an F1 studying in CA. I took my driving test and passed. They took my photo and so on, but the only license I received was a printout from the DMV office where I took the test that was valid for a year. I called a few times and they told me they had to confirm my residence status with the INS before they could issue the license. I never did receive it, but I was only there for another 7 months or so.

Fast forward to 2001 when I moved to San Francisco from Connecticut, (I'd moved to CT from Europe in 2000,) and went to take my CA driver's test again. They still had a record of my license from 1996 and were able to issue me the real license then and there, with the original license number. I was on an H1B at the time. (This was a big bonus for me - my insurance cost dropped dramatically as I'd been continuously insured for 5 years with no accidents or moving violations on that license.)

Not sure if this is still pertinent, but hope it helps.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CA driver's license on an F1 visa

Originally Posted by md95065

I know you asked specifically about CA, but thought it may be helpful to tell my experience. I am in IA; had to take along my passport and my I-20. Once I had passed the theory and driving test, they issued my licence to coincide with the end date on the I-20.