Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exit strategy

Exit strategy

Old Sep 21st 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exit strategy

Originally Posted by 007fair
They are offering the relocation to avoid paying redundancy
Also they can fire me in the US after a couple of DAYS with out recompense. This is the way business works in the US and elsewhere these days
Fixed that for you - FL, right-to-work state.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Fixed that for you - FL, right-to-work state.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
...as company is obligated by a L1 visa to pay for a move back if they lay you off....
I do not believe this is the case for L-1 visa. I got laid off on a L-1B, subsequently found out that company had no responsibility to pay for anything. YOU must put it in your contract that they will, or they offer it as part of their own company responsibilites, but legally they do not have to.

For H-1B they must pay for the air fare home, but only for the visa holder - everyone else is not covered legally.

Of course, if rules have changed since 2012 please someone feel free to correct me!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
I do not believe this is the case for L-1 visa. I got laid off on a L-1B, subsequently found out that company had no responsibility to pay for anything. YOU must put it in your contract that they will, or they offer it as part of their own company responsibilites, but legally they do not have to.

For H-1B they must pay for the air fare home, but only for the visa holder - everyone else is not covered legally.

Of course, if rules have changed since 2012 please someone feel free to correct me!
I stand corrected, thanks - yes, in our contract we had very specific agreements, one of which was repatriation and compensation on the event of termination of employment.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007fair
They are offering the relocation to avoid paying redundancy
What recourse do you have if they relocate you to the US (at a cost less than that of redundancy) and then fire you the day after you arrive?

I'm not suggesting that they actually *would* do this but it seems to me that they *could* do it ...