Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exit strategy

Exit strategy

Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exit strategy

Moving TO Orlando - we do not want to stay forever as we have too many ties back in the UK. So we would rent a house in the US and rent our house out back in the UK.

So we need to have a plan of sorts to return to the UK. One thing that worries me would be when - in 4 years - we wanted to come home, how easy is it to get a job in the UK while living in the US ?

Anyone done that ? I work in IT
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Colorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exit strategy

That all depends on what skills you have to offer and how the job market is faring at the time. Logistically, the biggest problem would be making yourself available for face-to-face interviews at short notice. But it's not really any different from living in Cornwall and looking for a job in the Lake District.

But I'm confused. Under what sort of conditions are going to Orlando in the first place? I thought it was a intra-company transfer. Are they sending you for a few years? Won't that mean you have a job to return to anyway? Or are they sending you permanently but you're going to quit after a few years?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Colorado calling
But I'm confused. Under what sort of conditions are going to Orlando in the first place? I thought it was a intra-company transfer. Are they sending you for a few years? Won't that mean you have a job to return to anyway? Or are they sending you permanently but you're going to quit after a few years?
Intra company transfer on a permanent move basis. My job in the UK is being relocated so there will be no job here to come back to. I don't want to emigrate permanently so wanted to give some thought to what happens once the adventure is over Obviously impossible to say for sure but wondered if anyone had had that experience
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, others have done it. You might try asking over in the MBTTUK forum as some of the people there have done what you're contemplating.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Colorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond repute

Does the company know they are going to the trouble of arranging visas for you and your family and organising relocation for someone who is only prepared to give them a few years mileage in return for their efforts? Have they given you a minimum term?

I appreciate anyone is entitled to resign if the job is not right for them but it sounds like you are going into this with resignation in mind.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Colorado calling
Does the company know they are going to the trouble of arranging visas for you and your family and organising relocation for someone who is only prepared to give them a few years mileage in return for their efforts? Have they given you a minimum term?

I appreciate anyone is entitled to resign if the job is not right for them but it sounds like you are going into this with resignation in mind.
They are offering the relocation to avoid paying redundancy
Also they can fire me in the US after a couple of years with out recompense. This is the way business works in the US and elsewhere these days
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sure, others have done it. You might try asking over in the MBTTUK forum as some of the people there have done what you're contemplating.
Didn't realise there was a forum specifically for that sorry and thanks!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007fair
They are offering the relocation to avoid paying redundancy
Also they can fire me in the US after a couple of years with out recompense. This is the way business works in the US and elsewhere these days
It seems a very risky strategy for you to move to the US in these circumstances. If you know you are going to be looking for a new job in the UK anyway at some point, what is the benefit in making that harder to do by moving to the US? Sure, people do get jobs while looking from afar, but it's never going to make job searching easier by being long distance.

Might be costly too - if they let you go while you are still on an L visa, you would have a limited time frame to move back to the UK. That can be expensive and stressful to expedite.

Would it not be a better option to take the redundancy money now and try and get a job in the UK? Possibly using the redundancy money to fund a move to somewhere else in the UK if necessary.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
It seems a very risky strategy for you to move to the US in these circumstances. If you know you are going to be looking for a new job in the UK anyway at some point, what is the benefit in making that harder to do by moving to the US? Sure, people do get jobs while looking from afar, but it's never going to make job searching easier by being long distance.

Might be costly too - if they let you go while you are still on an L visa, you would have a limited time frame to move back to the UK. That can be expensive and stressful to expedite.

Would it not be a better option to take the redundancy money now and try and get a job in the UK? Possibly using the redundancy money to fund a move to somewhere else in the UK if necessary.
I think you're off base. People often do limited overseas assignments, and Orlando would be a great once-in-a-lifetime experience for four years. I'd certainly do it.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're off base. People often do limited overseas assignments, and Orlando would be a great once-in-a-lifetime experience for four years. I'd certainly do it.
Even if it meant breaking your rule about moving high school age kids

I'd probably do it with either no kids or very young kids, but the OP has a 16 year old and would also leaving behind a couple of slightly older kids.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Pulaski, especially as company is obligated by a L1 visa to pay for a move back if they lay you off. We came with a huge group of enigneers in 2000/01. About half of them returned to the UK before it was time to renew their visa. Most of them did not return to their orginal job as the plant had shut down. They were simply relocated to different jobs in the UK as the company was required by the visa to give them their old job or something similiar. They came, they enjoyed the life as a expat and then returned to their normal lives. That was always their intention.
There were also a couple of enigneers who were pink slipped in that time and yes, it was hard for them to find jobs but at least they did not have worry about the selling of their houses and moving costs as the company paid for them to return to the UK. One guy tried to get job within the States but found it impossible due visa status which expires almost immediately.

Last edited by jjmb; Sep 21st 2015 at 1:00 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:59 pm

I'd probably do it with either no kids or very young kids, but the OP has a 16 year old and would also leaving behind a couple of slightly older kids.
I had forgotten about the OP having children.

I wouldn't do it with teenagers. It is going to make a complete mess of the 16 year old's education.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Exit strategy

This is a good point

This is a good point

This is a good point

.. My dilema encapsulated. You guys know me so well now !

I think the wise thing is to stay put and take the redundancy. But it does bug me because as Pulaski says its a once in a lifetime opportunity. Generally I would rather be slightly stressed than bored (.. but not too stressed! )
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 007fair
...... My dilema encapsulated. You guys know me so well now! .....
We've been throught it, and seen it hundreds of time more on BE.

At least you recognize the decisions you face. .... Others come here asking for "advice", but really want confirmation of whatever decision they are determine to take.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Will your son have completed his highers by the time you move? They are generally year long course if I remember rightly. If so, if you are OK financing him he could treat the couple years over here as a his gap years which UK students often do before they start university. His status as a home student would not be effected as you were on a temporary visa and he was obliged to move with your as he was a minor at the time.

If he has to wait until May to complete his exams, is there a way he could stay with a relative or good friends for the few months leading up to exams. I know at one point we considered sending back our eldest daughter to stay with good friends so she could complete her Standard grades as she was so homesick. Fortunately she found 'love' and her feet so it never came to that but there are ways around the family situation. Only putting this out there, as you all seem so keen to have an adventure of a lifetime.

As to what he could do while here, I am sure there are plenty of none working volunteer jobs which would look good on any university application. He does not have to start university as soon as he leaves school and sometimes that is a good thing in the long run (user experience)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.