Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exemption from UK Income TAx

Exemption from UK Income TAx

Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exemption from UK Income TAx

HMRC have taxed me on a private annuity and interest earned in the UK even though on my tax return I stated I have lived in the US since 2006. They have done it for 2008-09 claiming I owe several hundred pounds of unpaid tax. They state the exemption from UK income tax is not automatic and has to be claimed. They say I am due the exemption but until I fill out the form and claim it I have to pay UK income tax.

Has everyone had to fill out a Form US-Individual 2002 to claim exemption from UK income tax and I've just overlooked that I had to do so?

If anyone is interested the form is here:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/us_individual_2002.pdf
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exemption from UK Income TAx

Yes you need to fill out the HMRC form US-Individual 2002 and an IRS Form 8802 together with a check for $35 and send them both to Philadelphia (address on 8802 instructions). The IRS send the certified form to HMRC and about four months later you receive a letter from HMRC stating that your pensions/annuities are now exempt UK tax. Another two months later you receive a PAYE coding notice from HMRC Cardiff giving your new UK tax code as NT (no tax) and stating they have notified your pension/annuity provider and instructed them to repay you any tax paid.

I’ve just gone through the whole process for my wife who has a UK State pension, an NHS pension and two annuities. We now receive them all tax free into our Isle of Man bank account and declare them on our US tax return.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Zonie appreciate the information. I'll wait until I get my citizenship next month (hopefully) and claim the exemption on everything in one go.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to wait until you're a US Citizen. As long as you're considered resident in the US you benefit from the same tax treatment.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
You don't have to wait until you're a US Citizen. As long as you're considered resident in the US you benefit from the same tax treatment.
I have a Government Service Pension which is treated differently. When I become a US citizen then the US tax that pension and not the UK. As I hopefully will be a citizen in the next few week unless you advise differently I might just as well wait and send the forms in when I have citizenship. Otherwise I think I would have to submit another form in a few weeks to cover my GS Pension and as I get back any tax I shouldn't have paid it seems easier to do it all together.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I have a Government Service Pension which is treated differently. When I become a US citizen then the US tax that pension and not the UK. As I hopefully will be a citizen in the next few week unless you advise differently I might just as well wait and send the forms in when I have citizenship. Otherwise I think I would have to submit another form in a few weeks to cover my GS Pension and as I get back any tax I shouldn't have paid it seems easier to do it all together.
Unfortunately that's not right- you probably read IRS pub 901 page 33 right? Where it says that income from UK government pensions isn't taxable in the US unless the recipient is BOTH a resident AND citizen of the US?

The IRS pub is very misleading. The US-UK tax treaty is very clear that if you're considered resident in the US, then income from UK government pensions is taxable in the US, even if you're not a US citizen. If you PM me I can send you the references.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
The US-UK tax treaty is very clear that if you're considered resident in the US, then income from UK government pensions is taxable in the US, even if you're not a US citizen.
Just to be clear, if you're a permanent resident in the US this rule applies to you.

Last edited by Peter Newton; Nov 20th 2009 at 6:45 pm. Reason: Clarity