Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Excellent credit rating, what will happen to it in the states?

Excellent credit rating, what will happen to it in the states?

Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excellent credit rating, what will happen to it in the states?

Originally Posted by Anian
There is some kind of car website where you do all the haggling online and then just go in to get the car and sign the paperwork. carmax? carpros? I'm not sure.
hertzcarsales have a no haggle price. You rent the car for 3 days for $100, then if you like it, they refund the $100. The prices are generally quite good. The paper work is mostly done online.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:05 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

We spent a lot of time looking at used economy cars for our daughter. We considered many of the models mentioned here as well as the Hertz (and other rental company) car sales programs.

Ultimately, we were able to negotiate such a good deal on a new Hyundai Elantra it was way more attractive than of the used cars we'd seen. And that came with a full warranty and attractive (4%) financing. We put nearly half down and paid off the loan in around 4 months so we only paid $100 total interest. It was easily worth it to make everything fit our cash flow goals and constraints.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are car shopping,I would certainly recommend renting a car of the same model you are intending to buy. That is if you have not driven the car before. I find test drives too short to know if I like a car or not.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:12 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
We spent a lot of time looking at used economy cars for our daughter. We considered many of the models mentioned here as well as the Hertz (and other rental company) car sales programs.

Ultimately, we were able to negotiate such a good deal on a new Hyundai Elantra it was way more attractive than of the used cars we'd seen. And that came with a full warranty and attractive (4%) financing. We put nearly half down and paid off the loan in around 4 months so we only paid $100 total interest. It was easily worth it to make everything fit our cash flow goals and constraints.
and how long have you been in the USA?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you are car shopping, I would certainly recommend renting a car of the same model you are intending to buy. .....
That can be easier said than done when typically you sign up for "a Nissan Altima, or similar, "a Chevy Cruze, or similar", etc.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That can be easier said than done when typically you sign up for "a Nissan Altima, or similar, "a Chevy Cruze, or similar", etc.
I have leased from the dealerships in the past. Also sometimes you are able to lease the higher end models not found at car rental companies.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Extended test drives have also been offered to me while shopping. Typically can borrow the car for 24 hrs or so at no charge.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the original OP and credit....

A new arrival in the USA with no credit history or a very low score ( which is what you will have for about a year) is unlikely ( not going to get) a nice interest free deal or a low interest deal on a new car from a dealer of their choice in the USA. Malch has been in the USA since 1992 and obviously has a good long credit history and a good credit score.

VW has an Expat business program and Mazda self-finance so both of these companies will help you to buy a car. Most dealers will not be able to secure financing for a new arrival through the finance companies they use normally.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You'd be surprised who they are willing to lend money to on a secured loan. You can always refinance at a later date for a better rate. They are fairly desperate to lend money to people these days.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You'd be surprised who they are willing to lend money to on a secured loan. You can always refinance at a later date for a better rate. They are fairly desperate to lend money to people these days.
No surprise at all with a secured loan, but that is not what most people are talking about here.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 12:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No surprise at all with a secured loan, but that is not what most people are talking about here.
I think he's talking about a car loan being a secured loan. ..... In other words you can often get a car loan even with junk credit rating. The rate will be high though.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2017 at 1:00 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone says, UK score means nothing in the US.

Can attest to that, a perfect long history 999 in the UK and nothing here, not a bean.

You have to be wise and build it up from scratch. Which is a matter of being patient and being careful.

Even after 6m or a year you'll have something. Quite easy to monitor too 🙂
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:54 am
Just Joined

ChrisK is an unknown quantity at this point

Credit scores in the US are a scam - in the UK they essentially reflect how god you are at paying your bills/loans on time - in the US they are set to see how much more money the banks can squeeze out of you.

My wife and I had perfect UK scores - moving to the US, for some reason my wife had a better score than me, even though I had had a US bank account (and SSN ++) for over 20 years with no missed bills - and she had nothing - and of course there are lots of different credit scores out there anyway... .

A couple of annoying examples is that they look at the CC balance - even if you pay it off in full each month; another one was when we were refinancing our house last year with WF - for some mysterious reason our credit rating fell for that particular quarter that we applied for the loan (thereby making it more expensive).
Old Sep 25th 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisK
Credit scores in the US are a scam - in the UK they essentially reflect how god you are at paying your bills/loans on time - in the US they are set to see how much more money the banks can squeeze out of you.

My wife and I had perfect UK scores - moving to the US, for some reason my wife had a better score than me, even though I had had a US bank account (and SSN ++) for over 20 years with no missed bills - and she had nothing - and of course there are lots of different credit scores out there anyway... .

A couple of annoying examples is that they look at the CC balance - even if you pay it off in full each month; another one was when we were refinancing our house last year with WF - for some mysterious reason our credit rating fell for that particular quarter that we applied for the loan (thereby making it more expensive).
You clearly don't understand how credit scores work in the US; they certainly aren't a "scam". Your credit score reflects the likelihood of you defaulting on a loan, and so credit card balances are part of that equation. However credit card balances are quite a small part of the equation, such that the difference between a zero balance and having say, a 10% balance which you pay off every month, is truely [u]negligible[/].

Unfortunately, a few years ago, my wife and I had a period of having several credit cards (at least six, maybe seven) between us that were as near to maxed out as makes no difference - like 95%-99.5% balances ..... but we still had credit scores in the 700-730 range. .... In short, don't obsess about your credit card balance, it is only a very small part of the overall picture.

By far the largest part of the picture is paying your bills on time every month, almost a third of your score is driven by your payment history.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2017 at 12:10 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

To get a high FICO score when you live in the states depends on many factors but i would suggest you open a bank account first and then ask your bank for a secure credit card, which works like a credit card but is based on how much you have in your account.

Secondly, you have to own some debt in order to build your credit, so if you can get one of those store credit cards and pay it of every month on time will help.

Banks want to see if you are financially responsible, this usually takes about five years after the great recession to get at least a high FICO score.

There are so companies that help do this but cost a pretty penny and it all depends on your circumstances, such employment, debt to income ration, stable address etc.

Originally Posted by Stevie P
Hi, I'm wondering when my wife a USC and I move permanently to the states, if we need to at some point will I be eligible to get a loan for anything ?
You know like for a car or whatever.
My credit rating is perfect here in the UK, but will that mean anything once we have moved to the US ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.