Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Equifax hack - site to check and register

Equifax hack - site to check and register

Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:45 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Equifax hack - site to check and register

Apparently my details were probably stolen so they have signed me up for their ID protection free of charge.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-find-ou...hac-1806121695
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equifax hack - site to check and register

Yay, Equifax leaked my details so I'll sign up for their service and trust them even more.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:04 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Yay, Equifax leaked my details so I'll sign up for their service and trust them even more.
haven't had anyone else offering to help. Have you?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
haven't had anyone else offering to help. Have you?
There is constant tv ads for these services. Even the NRA was running some promotion for a free year of one of them.

Discover also offer this for free, which I believe can also be taken by non-customers

You can get a free credit report at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ and then consider freezing your credit with each bureau.

But really, I wouldn't willingly trust that company ever again.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:38 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
But really, I wouldn't willingly trust that company ever again.
Hah. You think you have a choice? They will continue to collect every bit of personal data on you that they can. And I seriously doubt this will be their last leak. Hate them all you like but they will still be a-collecting and a-leaking long after you're pushing up daisies.

Don't get me wrong. After this they won't get one cent out of my pocket. But the simple fact is, they have my data and don't give a hoot about my trust.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Can I get some clarification. As SSN are with us for life one of the national news programmes advises us to freeze our reports and unfreeze when we need to apply for credit ( unfreeze can come with a charge $5-$15 ).

My question therefore, is this for life?

Makes you wonder if they allowed the hack to get in money for unfreeze?

I also worry about giving my whole SSN when they ask for it as could be impacted
What a bunch of numpties

Last edited by Fred16; Sep 14th 2017 at 11:39 am.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The Equifax offer of monitoring for one year, and then with their own subsidiary, is just a bad joke. The hacked data stays with us for life so they should be providing monitoring for life. I'm just waiting for the class action cases to get going. This one has a long way to run.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:00 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred16
Given the fact that the entire companines purpose is to provide trust and integrity - it would be an incredibly dumb move (putting it lightly), to destroy its own reputation for what is effectively chump change in the grand scheme of things.

We obviously don't know the full details, but it's likely that this is complacent IT security.

Petitefrancais - so sorry to hear you're caught up in this I hope they secure your details soon, change whatever info they can and give you SSN protection for as long as you need it! A coworker of mine also got caught up and is in the process of getting her protection sorted but she saw online that taking their free services as a result of the hack prevents you from joining a class action/seeking conpensation.etc - did you get a notice about that?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Given the fact that the entire companines purpose is to provide trust and integrity - it would be an incredibly dumb move (putting it lightly), to destroy its own reputation for what is effectively chump change in the grand scheme of things.

We obviously don't know the full details, but it's likely that this is complacent IT security.

Petitefrancais - so sorry to hear you're caught up in this I hope they secure your details soon, change whatever info they can and give you SSN protection for as long as you need it! A coworker of mine also got caught up and is in the process of getting her protection sorted but she saw online that taking their free services as a result of the hack prevents you from joining a class action/seeking conpensation.etc - did you get a notice about that?
I believe the class action clause was removed when signing up, that would be stupid and surely would never hold up
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Better and better.

Equifax's credit report monitoring site is also vulnerable to hacking | ZDNet
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by malch
Hah. You think you have a choice? They will continue to collect every bit of personal data on you that they can. And I seriously doubt this will be their last leak. Hate them all you like but they will still be a-collecting and a-leaking long after you're pushing up daisies.

Don't get me wrong. After this they won't get one cent out of my pocket. But the simple fact is, they have my data and don't give a hoot about my trust.
Malch, you should re-read what I write before quoting.

"I wouldn't willingly trust". I have control who I personally sign up for - especially dodgy credit monitoring.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:06 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I was apparently not impacted.

However, I've had an identity monitoring service active for a while now.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of the 1.43 million hacked.
So, on Sat. I set a Security Freeze on my credit report - as recommended.

Equifax generated a Pin, to be used for lifting or removing it entirely, in future, if desired.

Turns out the PINS that Equifax was issuing were non-random, sequential and nothing more than date-time stamps of the freeze request enrollment time. As such PIN is highly vulnerable/brute force hackable.

Having learned that this morning - I phoned Equifax to request my PIN be changed.

I spent 40 minutes on phone with 2 different reps, growing increasingly enraged as I was placed under a microscope, assaulted by a barrage of highly intrusive questions. They pried and fished for personal info and arcane minutiae....details I've never been asked about before.

Finally slammed down the phone in a fury.

Am left with a hacked credit report, a credit freeze with an insecure PIN, and a load of new personal details now added to Equifax data base.

/furious
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:04 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Keeps getting worse for equifax: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/...x-has-my-data/

Had an online accessible portal open with a login of admin/admin
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred16
Can I get some clarification. As SSN are with us for life one of the national news programmes advises us to freeze our reports and unfreeze when we need to apply for credit ( unfreeze can come with a charge $5-$15 ).

My question therefore, is this for life?

I also worry about giving my whole SSN when they ask for it as could be impacted
What a bunch of numpties
Agreed I wondered that as well. It's a great way to promote the business of collecting fees for all 3 of the major credit reporting agencies.

I am sitting here waiting for the next expose when it is discovered that in addition to making off with personal details the hackers also created a fake mirror site to sign up for a 'credit freeze' and have successfully collected hundreds of thousands of profiles from people thinking they were doing the right thing!

As someone else said giving your details again to the very people who lost them in the first place has at a minimum to be viewed with skepticism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.