Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To emigrate or not to!

To emigrate or not to!

Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:21 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To emigrate or not to!

Originally Posted by Ray
Actually your wrong ... that requirement is for labor certification... not an H-1B visa ...
I concede defeat - although i think to get a green card from a h1b you have to go through labor cert?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I concede defeat - although i think to get a green card from a h1b you have to go through labor cert?
That exactly right ... but I know shit about Linux ..you win there ..
I thought is was a type of antelope..
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:24 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
That exactly right ... but I know shit about Linux ..you win there ..
I thought is was a type of antelope..
Isnt he Charlie Brown's mate?

Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:39 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Isnt he Charlie Brown's mate?

Hell, I thought it was something like a cougar:
Attached Thumbnails To emigrate or not to!-lynx.jpeg  
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:44 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You need an LCA for an H1B. But it's really not that hard for a willing employer. There's always some specialty that a specialty worker can supply. Fendy jeans assembler? The hardest part is finding an employer who actually gives a s**t.

And before OP gets excited, it's a very very difficult part.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Hell, I thought it was something like a cougar:
No!!! they are made by Mercury...
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

pepsoid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in particular to Muswell Hill and ImHere's detailed responses.
Pepsoid is my partner's username from other forums that I have borrowed! I'm female and he and i have been together for 12 years, we're not really into marriage but if we needed to for a visa we would. We thought because I have temped in the last couple of years in Accountancy, whilst doing my MA in Photography, that we could get a 'working visa' of some sort. Our plan was to get any old office work in somewhere around New York, see what we thought of the place for a few months and consider applying for residency. We don't have any responsibilities or commitments, so we thought this was a workable plan, can you not do this in America????

p.s my boyfriend is not a nurse unfortunately, just an accounts assistant!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:23 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by pepsoid
can you not do this in America????
Easy answer there ....No...
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:31 pm
ImHere

Pepsoid is my partner's username from other forums that I have borrowed! I'm female and he and i have been together for 12 years, we're not really into marriage but if we needed to for a visa we would. We thought because I have temped in the last couple of years in Accountancy, whilst doing my MA in Photography, that we could get a 'working visa' of some sort. Our plan was to get any old office work in somewhere around New York, see what we thought of the place for a few months and consider applying for residency. We don't have any responsibilities or commitments, so we thought this was a workable plan, can you not do this in America????

No problems and your welcome.
As Ray said. Nope. Not a chance. As far as Im aware (although Im no expert on this) I doubt you could do it for Australia either. I think your only bet is to do this in Europe.

PS If you decided to to come over on holiday and pick up some work (difficult without proof you are allowed to work here) and you were caught then you'd get literally thrown out and automatic ban for 10(?) years from the US.

Last edited by ImHere; Jul 17th 2005 at 2:13 pm.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

We thought because I have temped in the last couple of years in Accountancy, whilst doing my MA in Photography, that we could get a 'working visa' of some sort. Our plan was to get any old office work in somewhere around New York, see what we thought of the place for a few months and consider applying for residency. We don't have any responsibilities or commitments, so we thought this was a workable plan, can you not do this in America????
unfortunately definitely not, this place is a nightmare to get into, and since I've been here for two years now, I'm confused as to why people want to come here. (I moved because of a relationship, no other reason)
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:47 pm
ImHere

unfortunately definitely not, this place is a nightmare to get into, and since I've been here for two years now, I'm confused as to why people want to come here. (I moved because of a relationship, no other reason)
Image. For some reason a lot of Brits have a skewed perspective of the US (and the UK). Florida, for instance, is made entirely from gold and candy...didnt you know that?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:48 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Image. For some reason a lot of Brits have a skewed perspective of the US (and the UK). Florida, for instance, is made entirely from gold and candy...didnt you know that?
They tried milk and honey but the heat made 'em go off.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:57 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by cindyabs
They tried milk and honey but the heat made 'em go off.
LOL. Thats k worthy if i didnt have to spread.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

You are quite welcome.

To be totally honest, just as the other posters have said, it is extraordinarily difficult to move here, even with sponsorship. In my case I moved here as my wife is a US citizen, but even then, meeting all of the criteria it took almost three years, yes three years to become a legal permanent resident. Really the US is only looking for people who can do jobs that locals can't, and in order to prove this the applicant has to go through "labor cerrification" i think it's called.

Really living here is no different to living anywhere in western Europe in terms of day to day things. Some are better, some are worse. The "quality of life" issues in my opinion are worse, such as no free medical cover. I am serious when i say it will cost around $200 to see a GP, over $500 to have a tooth pulled at the dentist, and the birth of my son cost over $30,000. We have health insurance but still have to pay 20% of all costs. I would recommend coming on a month long holiday and touring the US to see what it is really like. Make sure you visit little towns in rural states and go to church on sunday to see how conservative they are. As a photographer you should photo the signs that are outside many churches as they are a hoot....my personal faves: "No fully automatic weapons, semi automatic OK" and "No snakes".......could be a prize winner there

Do you speak any european languages? I hear certain eastern european countries are ripe for investment opportunities right now.......best of luck
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:06 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Florida, for instance, is made entirely from gold and candy...didnt you know that?
Bunch of modern day conquistadors, I tell you. It'll all end in tears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.