Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Educational Qualifications Equivalence

Educational Qualifications Equivalence

Old Sep 26th 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Educational Qualifications Equivalence

For starters please accept my apologies if my question has been asked many times before.

I am contemplating a move to New Jersey to live with my partner, a US citizen. Maybe for just a year or 2 before we both come back to Scotland (current circumstances mean my partner must be in NJ but she loves it here in Scotland!)

I need to know where to pitch my applications for work. I have 25 years of admin experience mainly with the UK Ministry of Defence. When I left the MOD - early severance - I went to college and completed an HNC in Admin & IT.

Now, where does my HNC sit amongst qualifications in USA? Coupled with my experience I wonder what I should be putting on my Resume and/or covering letter for job applications?

I have looked around the internet and I am led to believe that my HNC coupled with my work experience may equate to an Associate Degree in USA. I wonder what the thoughts are on this?

Grateful for any views which may help me make fewer mistakes!

Thanks.

Last edited by stuwoolf; Sep 26th 2016 at 8:40 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educational Qualifications Equivalence

If you were to marry it would be far easier for you to come to the US to live and work, regardless of how long or short a stay you wish to have.

I'm afraid that an Associates Degree is meaningless in education qualifications for an H-1B visa although I believe the number of years of work experience will count for something.

Have a go at the wiki page and look for Pulaski's Ways to Live and Work in the US.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rete,

Thank you for your prompt response and guidance.

Marriage is very much on the cards and it is hoped this will assist both me and my partner.

Looking at the link you posted it seems permanent migration may be the way to go. Thanks for the link.

I guess what is uppermost in my mind is the time it will take for me to secure permission to enter US and be able to look for work. As you may have guessed I am 57 years old and want to get settled asap.

I wonder how long it would take to receive permission to enter US and be able to work in the event of engagement and marriage. Any ideas?

Once again, thanks for your input
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you were to marry it would be far easier for you to come to the US to live and work, regardless of how long or short a stay you wish to have.

I'm afraid that an Associates Degree is meaningless in education qualifications for an H-1B visa although I believe the number of years of work experience will count for something.

Have a go at the wiki page and look for Pulaski's Ways to Live and Work in the US.
Gets married to partner and it's not a issue....though as mentioned, the qualifications are meaningless over here.

Don't bother get them converted as it's a waste of money. Each place would likely have you use a difference service anyway.

You'll have to get around HR and the auto-reject and there are plenty of threads on that subject, pretty recent ones too.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuwoolf
Rete,

Marriage is very much on the cards and it is hoped this will assist both me and my partner.

Looking at the link you posted it seems permanent migration may be the way to go. Thanks for the link.

I guess what is uppermost in my mind is the time it will take for me to secure permission to enter US and be able to look for work. As you may have guessed I am 57 years old and want to get settled asap.

I wonder how long it would take to receive permission to enter US and be able to work in the event of engagement and marriage. Any ideas?

Once you are married and have then applied for a spouse visa to live and work in the US the process will take about 8 to 10 months to complete.

Your then spouse will need to sponsor you.

With regard your HNC. Yes, it will probably be the equivalent of an Associates degree. Sounds as though you have been an administrator for most of your working days, and unfortunately, that level of education does not warrant an H1B - admin work in itself would not warrant the issue of an H1B (or any other work visa either I think).

I hate to say this but at 57 and without a full degree you might be looking for some time to get a decent job.

Please also note that with your plan to return to Scotland after a year or two with your US spouse, then YOU would have to sponsor her for a settlement visa for the UK.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Sep 26th 2016 at 10:00 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 12:04 am
Concierge

If the GF has permission to live in your country, then if you were to marry, say next week, she can file for your conditional permanent residency (CR-1) at the US Embassy in London and you might well be able to enter and live and work IMMEDIATELY in the US upon entry with the approved CR-1 visa in about 6 to 8 months (it seems to be going more quickly these days). How does that sound?

BTW hubby had 36 years as a computer technician in the RCAF and at the age of 57 when we married and he migrated to the US, he could not find work in his field for love of money. You see he had no formal degree but did have 36 years experience. The issue was his age. Eventually he got employment in a New York State school district as a computer tech and while the money was shite, the benefits were wonderful and are holding us in good stead in retirement.

Rete,

Last edited by Rete; Sep 27th 2016 at 12:09 am.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Big ask to get anything much above minimum, if that. But you may be lucky.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Again, thanks for the very helpful replies.

I have a pension from my former employer which may allow me to accept a much lower salary. I would like to work in State or local government. Not sure how much they pay it will help.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Again, thanks for the very helpful replies.

I have a pension from my former employer which may allow me to accept a much lower salary. I would like to work in State or local government. Not sure how much they pay it will help.
Government jobs usually (always..?) require you to be a US citizen, not just a Permanent Resident.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it an option to just stay put? The timeline you mention would be eaten up by getting married, applying and waiting for your visa, and when you finally get your visa to find a job without much in the way of qualifications.
You will be spending a lot of money on a process that will probably be useful for a year and then you return to Scotland.
2 years sounds a lot but in the visa world not really, my process took 15 months, (there were hiccups on the way!).
Personally due to doubt about employment and timescales I would stay put and maybe visit a few times on an ESTA.
Its how a few of us managed.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Is it an option to just stay put? The timeline you mention would be eaten up by getting married, applying and waiting for your visa, and when you finally get your visa to find a job without much in the way of qualifications.
You will be spending a lot of money on a process that will probably be useful for a year and then you return to Scotland.
2 years sounds a lot but in the visa world not really, my process took 15 months, (there were hiccups on the way!).
Personally due to doubt about employment and timescales I would stay put and maybe visit a few times on an ESTA.
Its how a few of us managed.
I agree. From the date of the start of the visa process, the OP would be lucky to get a job worth doing (for all the reasons already listed - wait for visa, age, foreign qualifications/ lack of degree, perceived lack of relevant experience, etc.) within 24 months.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2016 at 2:23 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

and working in Government....
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

I have looked at the US immigration website and have become aware of at least some of the costs involved. I am not certain but it would appear to be around $2000. Is that about correct? What costs are involved in the immigration process?

Those costs, coupled with the time for completiing the process (between 8 - 15 months?) gives me something to think about.

Grateful for a more insightful view of the costs involved.

Thanks for your continuing help and guidance.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked at the US immigration website and have become aware of at least some of the costs involved. I am not certain but it would appear to be around $2000. Is that about correct? What costs are involved in the immigration process?
Cost of getting to the consulate/embassy, cost of doing the medical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.