Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual US/UK Citizen moving to US

Dual US/UK Citizen moving to US

Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US/UK Citizen moving to US

Originally Posted by JimFL
In sales based roles, there seem to be lots of ads for these jobs on the job sites too.

One friend works in Insurance, the other in Advertising sales.
Mainly low base, commission type roles? Don't require a degree?

That have 'unlimited potential'.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:42 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you sure? I looked briefly at relocating to that area for a job in DC, and found house prices to be comparable with the greater New York city area.
If you move to Rockville, Alexandria orChevy Chase you'll spend lots, but there are far more reasonably priced places.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

JimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I realise there are lots of scam adverts but still plenty of decent firms too.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I realise there are lots of scam adverts but still plenty of decent firms too.
Well...I wasn't really referring to the scam type 'opportunities'

Many legitimate businesses offer low base salary with commission programs.
And they happen to be most common in sales, advertising and insurance which can be very high employee turnover sectors.

As long as the employee knows what they're getting in to.

If you ever have the opportunity check this out. It's riveting...

Glengarry Glen Ross (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

JimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond repute

Those not blessed with qualifications for certain professions have little choice unfortunately...

The film looks very interesting, will be sure to check it out.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Those not blessed with qualifications for certain professions have little choice unfortunately...
That's very true and these days a Degree is very rapidly becoming a minimum requirement for a lot of jobs as there are so many graduates unemployed.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

It's all down to personality and connections what you make of yourself.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

People without those need pieces of paper.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's all down to personality and connections what you make of yourself.
No. Sorry. That's too simple a statement.

For example in my business you need a Physics Degree or similar.

When I need an employee, that will be one of the minimum requirements, along with 10 years of sales experience, excellent reading/writing skills, time management, and a suitable personality.

And for those without 'a piece of paper'?
Yes, there are many low paid jobs where you'll barely survive, certainly not prosper.

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 21st 2014 at 8:11 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Why too simple?

No need to overcomplicate things.

I'll bet good money there are people doing your job today without a physics degree.

I'm sure there are lots of low paid jobs... There are also plenty of well paid jobs, but again as I'll regress to what I initially said it's all down personality/ enthusiasm and who you know/ who you meet that can make you or break you.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll bet good money there are people doing your job today without a physics degree.
Then you'd lose. You absolutely need a degree in Physics, or Chemistry with a Physics component, to understand what the products I sell actually do, in order to sell them.

it's all down personality/ enthusiasm and who you know/ who you meet that can make you or break you.
No it's not
As I say, many jobs require a degree before you'll even get looked at, regardless of your personality.

(Have you ever worked in America?)
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Man, Ive got better things to do than to sit here on Saturday and argue.

Of course you'd need the piece of paper to get the job via the conventional route, again depends who you know if your personality will help you get a job.

Go for it Sarah, you can do whatever you set your mind to.

OP has a degree anyway, And I'll do just fine for myself...
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's just that you claimed that was all you need.

We try to be accurate on the forums.

Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
..........his username suggests he may have some unresolved issues to work through
True, but after assuming wrongly for quite a few folks, I've just stopped bothering to go by username unless they have the little symbol up
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why too simple?

No need to overcomplicate things.

I'm sure there are lots of low paid jobs... There are also plenty of well paid jobs, but again as I'll regress to what I initially said it's all down personality/ enthusiasm and who you know/ who you meet that can make you or break you.
Thing is, unfortunately these days in many jobs, without a degree, your experience and resume will be binned before it is even looked at. So your experience and personality won't count for anything.

There are loads of people with personality, experience, skills and a piece of paper competing for the same lowest common denominator jobs these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.