Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship travel question(s)

Dual Citizenship travel question(s)

Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship travel question(s)

Originally Posted by Gozit
Err, yeah, they do.
No. They don't. The police have to ask the airlines for confirmation on people exiting the country. The UKBA have no clue who leaves. They know whose coming in, sure, but leaving? Forget it.

Again, when the UKBA guy
s/guy/lady

asked you to present the passport you booked/checked in with you probably got an arse.
No. She was lovely actually. I had prior presented my Passport Card instead, to see if I could enter on that alone by air, but apparently only works when travelling between countries within the EU.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Not as a US citizen, no. As an LPR yes technically as LPR's don't have the right to enter.
Actually, the most CBP can do with an LPR is keep said person held to present before an immigration judge. They can't deport them at the border.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I got global entry about 2 months ago. CBP asked *lots* of questions (English also wasn't the officers first language so I think he had a hard time understanding me), But I was approved and sent on my way. He gave me a 2 page leaflet about the Kiosks but I thought they gave you a demo of it?
Not anymore, at least not in the last 18 months from reading the flyer forums.

I'm guessing they are super easy to use, but the CBP officer made a big point of saying that I present my Green Card and Global Entry card to it i
They're an idiot. The GE card serves no purpose other than:

1. A(nother) form of Federal ID
2. Allows you to jump to the head of a queue when the GE machines don't work for you.

I'm unable to use my GC with the GE kiosks currently (it's expired), so I show my GE card and get put to the front of the crew line instead.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The UKBA have no clue who leaves. They know whose coming in, sure, but leaving? Forget it.
I believe exit checks are back in operation as of 2015.

Passport exit checks begin at UK ports and borders - BBC News

Data is being collected on all passengers as they leave the UK on scheduled commercial international air, sea and rail routes.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:38 pm
Banned

Looks like you're correct.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cks-fact-sheet
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Yeah.... I had the same, he took my photo when I wasn't ready, and was holding the camera to the side.

Similar thing happened with my NY Drivers license as I didn't know you were allowed to smile... they let me retake it when I was getting the 'temporary alien' bit removed!
Yes!! Camera to the side. Whyyy?

Originally Posted by tonrob
When not using eGates (for whatever reason), 90% of my entries into the UK (always using my UK passport) have consisted of the following dialogue:

Me: Hi
UKBA: Hi
(pause)
UKBA: Thank you

In the 10% of cases that have involved a more protracted conversation, the added element has been:

UKBA: Where have you flown in from?
Me: Boston

This has usually happened where the border area has been super empty and I've 'led the charge' from the plane, as it were. My assumption has been that they've asked so that they know where they expect the ensuing horde to have originated from.
Yep me too when entering the Schengen area on an EU passport. (Never been to the UK)

I just advised the eGate for those who really don't want to talk to UKBA. Though I don't know why they wouldn't. I can understand aversion to CBP though.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:38 pm
Banned

On a tanget, why the **** can the US just not implement e-Gates for its citizens? Why do they have the ridiculous GE system for their citizens?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
On a tanget, why the **** can the US just not implement e-Gates for its citizens? Why do they have the ridiculous GE system for their citizens?
Funding/money.

No US government project gets implemented unless funding is available for it, which usually means getting the users to cough up fees to pay for the implementation.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

normanbarker is an unknown quantity at this point

With the addition of exit checks at Heathrow is the process from a dual UK/US citizen

1) Use US passport with airline for all stages
2) Use UK passport at Heathrow as lines may be quicker
3) Use US passport exiting Heathrow
4) Use US passport with USA border control

?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by normanbarker
With the addition of exit checks at Heathrow is the process from a dual UK/US citizen

1) Use US passport with airline for all stages
2) Use UK passport at Heathrow as lines may be quicker
3) Use US passport exiting Heathrow
4) Use US passport with USA border control

?
Pretty much. Essentially you should be using your US passport at all stages bar your entry to the UK in which case you just breeze through the eGates.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Pretty much. Essentially you should be using your US passport at all stages bar your entry to the UK in which case you just breeze through the eGates.
Breeze through? Having just gone in via Manchester it definitely wasn't a breeze through with some e-gates not working and people not knowing how to use them.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Breeze through? Having just gone in via Manchester it definitely wasn't a breeze through with some e-gates not working and people not knowing how to use them.
Certainly breezed through LGW the last time I flew into the UK with no queue at all and there's never more than a five minute wait at LHR T5. Regional airports seem a bit more patchy.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:17 am
Banned

60 second to get through at LHR via eGates the other week.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I use eGates (mostly at LHR T3, T5 and LCY) every few weeks and I can count on one hand the times I've had to wait longer than 30 seconds to use them.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I use eGates (mostly at LHR T3, T5 and LCY) every few weeks and I can count on one hand the times I've had to wait longer than 30 seconds to use them.
So maybe I was unlucky, or Manchester is different. I waited at least 20 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.