Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drug Screen and Background Check - L1 visa

Drug Screen and Background Check - L1 visa

Old Apr 6th 2018, 7:09 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drug Screen and Background Check - L1 visa

As a non-alcohol drinker, I wouldn't be adverse to checking for that if a company deemed it better for them.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
As a non-alcohol drinker, I wouldn't be adverse to checking for that if a company deemed it better for them.
This is comedy gold
Old Apr 6th 2018, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
"According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1"

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...and-statistics

You're going to have a mighty small job force then. Or perhaps it's time for prohibition - that worked out really well last time around.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1"

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...and-statistics

You're going to have a mighty small job force then. Or perhaps it's time for prohibition - that worked out really well last time around.
Really fun work parties, also.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
What if the subject took in the marijuana outside of work in a state where it was legal? Would you not employ them on federal law grounds? All a but pathetic IMO
I asked this - response was the same. Drugs considered illegal at the federal level, regardless of where they were consumed are considered a fail.

I honestly couldn't care less about marijuana, but the policy is policy. I should add they do ask you to do a breath test too, to check your alcohol levels.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
I asked this - response was the same. Drugs considered illegal at the federal level, regardless of where they were consumed are considered a fail.

I honestly couldn't care less about marijuana, but the policy is policy. I should add they do ask you to do a breath test too, to check your alcohol levels. I honestly couldn't care less about marijuana, but the policy is policy.
So you can be addicted to opioids and pass but smoke an occasional joint and fail... pure stupidity.

I should add they do ask you to do a breath test too, to check your alcohol levels.
Which tells you basically nothing given how relatively soon alcohol dissipates in the body.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 8th 2018 at 12:36 am.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 1:15 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
So you can be addicted to opioids and pass but smoke an occasional joint and fail... pure stupidity.

Which tells you basically nothing given how relatively soon alcohol dissipates in the body.
Dont be a dxck, they can measure historical opioid use from your hair. Its also not that they are discriminating against you because you use recreational - dodgy legally - drugs, its because you become exposed by illegal activity to potential blackmail, and because you expose yourself as someone who doesnt mind breaking some law or another.

If you want to work for ‘the govt man’ dont break his rules.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Dont be a dxck, they can measure historical opioid use from your hair. Its also not that they are discriminating against you because you use recreational - dodgy legally - drugs, its because you become exposed by illegal activity to potential blackmail, and because you expose yourself as someone who doesnt mind breaking some law or another.

If you want to work for ‘the govt man’ dont break his rules.
Many opioids that are used recreationally are actually legal drugs.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
So, I'm in the US on an L-1a visa.
I'm moving over to the US payroll, but will remain an employee of the UK company.

The US HR manager wants to submit me for a background check and drug screen. I have absolutely nothing to hide but I'm still reluctant as I obviously want to keep those kind of checks to an minimum unless absolutely required.

Before I go talk to my UK director about it, any advice on where I stand here?
Probably has to be done for insurance purposes. Don't sweat it.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be sure to ask them for their GDPR policies on how they will handle the result. We IA professionals have Xmas bonuses to make..............
Old Apr 13th 2018, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NavyBoy
Just be sure to ask them for their GDPR policies on how they will handle the result. We IA professionals have Xmas bonuses to make..............
GDPR shouldn't be relevant for US executed tasks..?

Edit: Also not until May 29th, if I recall?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NavyBoy
Don’t start me on GDPR!
Given I deal with our customers data this is a nightmare...or it was before I moved to the US and left it on someone else’s plate!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

GDPR shouldn't be relevant for US executed tasks..?

Edit: Also not until May 29th, if I recall?
If it is a EU data subject then it is relevant. Until test cases come in we will not know the full extent of the reach but for companies which trade in the EU the fines can be eye watering.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 4:45 am
Just Joined

ChrisK is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I'm thankful that I work for a more enlightened (US) employer where such a test might be seen as an infringement of civil liberties.

Clearly using illegal drugs is, well, illegal, but as noted above, given that the US seems to be obsessed with taking a pill for any perceived ailment - most of which seem to be opioids, it does appear to be a bureaucratic case of "we've always done it - why are you questioning it?" (to which could be added, "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah").
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChrisK
it does appear to be a bureaucratic case of "we've always done it - why are you questioning it?"
Funnily enough we havn't always done it - it's a very recent requirement, especially hair samples which only came into affect 1st Jan.

Personally I have no qualms with it, but then I know I wouldn't fail, so besides the (minor) inconvenience of having to go and give a sample, I couldn't care less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.