Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Driving in the US

Old Mar 7th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the US

Hello everyone!

I’m hopefully moving over to Nebraska next month on a k-1 Visa. I’m getting married in July, until I adjust my status, am I not a resident?

I just want to know as I want to drive almost straight away when I move, I have a full UK and can get an international driving permit if needed. Just need some advice!

Thanks,

Joshua
Old Mar 7th 2018, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Essentially you're not anything. The K1 visa is one time use and once you get married it's null and void. Your NOA's from adjustment of status (and your I94) are proof that you're in the US legally until your I-485 is adjudicated.

I wasn't unable to obtain a driving license until I had NOA1 from AOS here in Colorado.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Does this mean I can drive on my UK driving license since technically I’m not a resident? I’ve seen people have done so but I’m not sure how it works with insurance etc..
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive on your UK license until you obtain a local one. Look up the State DMV to see how long that is. If you feel adventurous the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, to which the USA is a signatory gives you 365 days. Most States have a different time limit for residents, but Oregon does honor the Convention if asked.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
You can drive on your UK license until you obtain a local one. Look up the State DMV to see how long that is. If you feel adventurous the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, to which the USA is a signatory gives you 365 days. Most States have a different time limit for residents, but Oregon does honor the Convention if asked.
Sounds good! I’ll get my fiancée to ring the DMV in Nebraska today. As far an insurance goes, do I just get added to hers? And does it cost a lot extra usually?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Sounds good! I’ll get my fiancée to ring the DMV in Nebraska today. As far an insurance goes, do I just get added to hers? And does it cost a lot extra usually?
If you get the usual DMV dimwit quote the Convention to them and ask them specifically if they abide by it.

I got insurance on my UK license but you really need to get a local license ASAP because 1) insurance is usually more expensive without a US license, and 2) if you do get stopped I found most local police officers do not have a clue about the legality of out of country licenses. It saves a lot of hassle to get your test done and out of the way. It is ridiculously easy.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:34 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that for a while, you will feel traffic coming from the direction you're used to back home. It's like muscle memory. And you might be tempted to pull out thinking the coast is clear. Make it a habit to always look both ways for a while.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I drove on my UK license until such time I could obtain one.

I also drove myself to my driving test which is fairly amusing.

As lansbury said, just make sure whoever the vehicle is insured by will acknowledge a foreign license will be using the vehicle.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
....always look both ways for a while.
and they let you drive! Shouldn't you always look both (all) ways every time.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Sounds good! I’ll get my fiancée to ring the DMV in Nebraska today. ....
Verbal advice from a government employee in the US is worse than useless, meaning if it is wrong and you rely on it, you may be wrong but think you're right. .... And the chances of you finding anyone at the DMV knowing what a K-1 visa is and anything about "adjustment of status", is as near to zero as makes no difference.

So just go to the Nebraska DMV Web site for all the information you need. ... I'd start by downloading a copy of the Nebraska Drivers Manual, which you should read before taking the "written" part of your driving test.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 7th 2018 at 5:01 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 5:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Experience has taught me that I need to look both ways even in one-way streets.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 5:12 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Erm... good point. Follow the Green Cross Code. Look left(right), right(left), then left(right) again. Now it's safe to cross. Cross briskly, continuing to look left and right.

Note. This applies to crossing the street too. And jaywalking really is enforced at some places. A friend got a ticket in Atlanta for crossing from the Residence Inn to the Albertsons grocery store directory opposite. The cop wanted the guy to walk to the intersection - probably a 1/4 mile away - and then walk back on the other side. Way to add a mile to a hundred yard journey.

And you'll love the 'chicken lane'. Bwah ha ha ha.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I do not get the Jaywalking thing at all - it's the country of the free, that goes into a National strop when gun controls are discussed, how on earth did they get themselves into a position where Police provide a ticket if you cross the road safely!!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and don't forget to look behind you as well - some drivers are not capable of seeing what is in front of them, especially on the Interstate, that or they've been watching too much IndyCar and are trying to slipstream.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck
Oh, and don't forget to look behind you as well ....
Isn't that something else you should already have been doing continuously?

My eyes flick over the rear view mirror every few seconds. That was how I was taught to drive in the UK, and I have done ever since. I have good control over where I am going and what happens in front of my vehicle, the real danger is more likely to come from behind me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.