Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Tests?

Driving Tests?

Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: OT - was Re: Driving Tests?

Originally Posted by Boiler
And on the other nationality issue there are more than 4 that qualify for a UK passport, lot more, plus the combinations of course - anglo welsh myself but it is just easier saying English, I have an Engluish accent aka "Foreign Accent" here. As most seems to theink I am Australian no need to complicate matters further.
I was refering to the ppl that are born in the UK...as being 4 different 'nationalities'...e.g scottish, welsh, english and N. ireland..I know there are more that qualify for the UK passport.

I often get mixed up with the austrailians with my english acent...but I have had more 'stupid' questions about where I come from...I had a couple ask me if I was from germany!! I have a northern english accent, and no way does it sound german...lol..and I do put those ppl right to where I am from...by the way my husband is a USC born in the south (I have to endure collard greens and cornbread at dinner time! although I like cornbread) his paternal great-grandfathers both came from europe, one is from poland and the other from wales...so he is a real mix...as well as the english that is in there too..somewhere on his Moms side!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT - was Re: Driving Tests?

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
I was refering to the ppl that are born in the UK...as being 4 different 'nationalities'...e.g scottish, welsh, english and N. ireland..I know there are more that qualify for the UK passport.

I often get mixed up with the austrailians with my english acent...but I have had more 'stupid' questions about where I come from...I had a couple ask me if I was from germany!! I have a northern english accent, and no way does it sound german...lol..and I do put those ppl right to where I am from...by the way my husband is a USC born in the south (I have to endure collard greens and cornbread at dinner time! although I like cornbread) his paternal great-grandfathers both came from europe, one is from poland and the other from wales...so he is a real mix...as well as the english that is in there too..somewhere on his Moms side!
Well without going into the British Asian, British Muslim etc etc there is also the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands....

I was watching the match this morning and new that I was favouring England, but if it had been Rugby then it would undoubtedly have been Wales.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:06 am
Denis

Default Re: Driving Tests?

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 04:18:58 +0000, USA & Pakistan wrote:

>> Again, this varies state to state. In Arizona, a K-1 entry can get a
    >> license by showing the 90-day temp. EAD. After that, they do accept
    >> the NOA for the EAD as proof, if you haven't gotten the 1-year OR the
    >> interim yet.
    >> Rene
    >Ok, i dont get it... why do they require an Employment Authorization
    >Document to be able to get a driver's license??!! I could understand if
    >they wanted to see the AOS NOA, but what has the EAD got to do with
    >driving? Hypothetically, what if someone didnt need an EAD and was just
    >going to wait for the GC... they couldn't get a driver's license until
    >then. Hmmm. Maybe there is some other way around it that hasnt been
    >mentioned because showing the EAD works?
    >I know, here i go thinking too much again! At least i seem to be in
    >good company!
    >:)Marnee

Some time ago somebody published a list of documents that are
acceptable as proof of status. The EAD is on that list and if you are
adjusting status it is the only one on the list that you possess. Here
in Phoenix they insist on seeing the EAD if you don't have a green
card and will only renew your license until the expiry date of the
EAD.

- Denis

Growing old is compulsory, growing UP is optional!

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 24th 2008 at 3:17 am. Reason: email deleted per user's request

Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:55 am
fat
Forum Regular

fat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
When my sister and family moved to NJ they all had NYS driver's licenses. They had to take the written and driving test. So I would assume that someone who is not the holder of any type of US issued driver's license would have to as well.

Ree
After a very long day of being shifted from one office and one person to another I was issued my NJ licence with just a written/eyesight test.

They would not however look at doing this before i had adjusted status, as I had been refused application after EAD.

Apparently there is some sort of reciprocal arrangement between the UK and US which allows for the MVC to waive the requirements of a written test if you have a photocard licence.

I was issued with a 5 year licence.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fat
After a very long day of being shifted from one office and one person to another I was issued my NJ licence with just a written/eyesight test.

They would not however look at doing this before i had adjusted status, as I had been refused application after EAD.

Apparently there is some sort of reciprocal arrangement between the UK and US which allows for the MVC to waive the requirements of a written test if you have a photocard licence.

I was issued with a 5 year licence.
ahhh now thats intresting as i am also in NJ and wondering why the person behind the desk did not like my old uk licence. oh what driving test book did you read as i need to brush on this
Old Oct 11th 2004, 11:20 am
fat
Forum Regular

fat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Help
ahhh now thats intresting as i am also in NJ and wondering why the person behind the desk did not like my old uk licence. oh what driving test book did you read as i need to brush on this
I borrowed my brother in laws official NJ riving test question book that was issued to him by his school, you can order it from the MVC website I beleive.

I think you'll have to take the driving exam if you don't have a UK photocard licence, however you may find an agent who is not aware of all the regulations.

Good luck...
Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most if not all states have their Highway Code on line or you can pick it up in my case for free from the local ofifice.

or you just guess, you should be able to pass guessing