Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Stateside...

Driving Stateside...

Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Stateside...

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Excellent -- from 1997 I note -- when the state was flush with money.
heh.. your tax dollars at work!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
I've never personally seen this but I've never been to Michigan so I guess it's not a surprise. It does sound just like the "Melbourne Hook" turn which lets you turn right from the left most lane in the center of Melbourne, Australia. Confused the hell out of me when driving there and apparently also confuses the hell out of Australians who are from other parts of the country. It doesn't help that there are tram and tram lines there too. I'm sure Michigan is way easier than that!
Well there's aren't trams "as well" - they are the whole point of the hook turn.. you can't sit in the middle of the road to turn right when trams come down the middle of the road so you turn from the left.

We have the "Pittsburgh left" turn - where someone turning left who is waiting at a red light goes before the oncoming straight-going traffic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Left
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
heh.. your tax dollars at work!
This history of the California car tax is another topic.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Ay-Brevard is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Driving Stateside...

Just moved here 5 weeks ago, biggest thing is they have no concept of stopping distance..
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ay-Brevard
Just moved here 5 weeks ago, biggest thing is they have no concept of stopping distance..
It's hard to judge stopping when your txting on one phone, talking on the other, putting your mascara on, eating a McD's, drinking a Starbucks and reading the paper you know!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

They're not taught observational skills. If it doesn't appear in a 20 degree, forward facing arc within 100 feet of them, they never notice it.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Survey says.. you live in Florida!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Survey says.. you live in Florida!
Yes I do, it's getting worse now the snow birds are coming down from up north and they are even worse that the locals.

Last edited by Ay-Brevard; Nov 11th 2010 at 1:04 am.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:32 am

Yes I do, it's getting worse now thw snow birds are coming down from up north and they are even worse that the locals.
shhh, lots of them are Canadian. Don't want to start a war now, do we.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:35 am
Just Joined

shhh, lots of them are Canadian. Don't want to start a war now, do we.
Sorry now have a certain South Park clip in my head.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:26 am

Sorry now have a certain South Park clip in my head.
You're welcome, no extra charge!

Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

And absolutely NO idea of how to behave at a roundabout (ok I know there's not many of them but the one near me has been there for a very long time).

I only managed to drive over here by getting used to being on the RHS of the road...by being driven everywhere. When we first got here I never thought I would be able to do it (especially as I've only been driving at all for just over 5 years). I also never thought I could get used to an automatic.
Basically every time I went anywhere in the car I would study the roads, the junctions, the lights, turning right on red, giving way to pedestrians and I would always say "if it's me I would go in "that" lane" or "turn into that lane" etc. The actual driving was really easy in the end I only struggle with not really knowing where I'm going so which lane I should be in. Drivers here are very accommodating and if you signal to change lanes I always find the car behind will allow you to move in. Can't comment on this being true in other states though
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Drivers here are very accommodating and if you signal to change lanes I always find the car behind will allow you to move in. Can't comment on this being true in other states though
I can say with absolute certainty that this varies from area to area. There are some cities and states where, if you aren't an assertive driver, you *will* repeatedly miss exits and fail to get into turn lanes, at least at heavy-traffic times of day.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Neko128
I can say with absolute certainty that this varies from area to area. There are some cities and states where, if you aren't an assertive driver, you *will* repeatedly miss exits and fail to get into turn lanes, at least at heavy-traffic times of day.
Heavy traffic is where people seem politer here and more willing to let you swap lanes. Something else I noticed when trying to get over my fear of driving over here at all.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neko128
Aye, it's a sign of weakness in Mass and you'll get slaughtered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.