Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License renewal in Texas

Driving License renewal in Texas

Old May 8th 2009, 4:29 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Driving License renewal in Texas

(I know this is not strictly immigration/visa, but I wanted to get some opinion from people in the know.)

Since October last year, the DMV in Texas (not sure about other states), has instigated new forms to complete when applying for or renewing driving licenses and you are not a PR.

The result is that you are issued with a driving license that is not the same format as regular licenses (it is portrait rather than landscape) and is also stamped with "temporary visitor".

While I don't have a problem with identifying a person status on legal ID, I do take issue with the format change which makes me feel more of an outsider and raises questions about the validity of my ID and status when I show my license. I pay taxes, I have a car loan and mortgage, my kids go to american schools and are being raised american and we have no intention of going 'home'.

My question is this: is this a permanent federal change or is it going to be changed back?

I'm an EB3 category waiting for my PD (I know all about the current Visa bulletin fiasco) so I could potentially be 'singled out' for the next 3 - 5 years. It all seems a bit unconstitutional to me......

Comments please.....
Old May 8th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License renewal in Texas

It's not just renewals that are in the new format - we got our first Texas licenses last December and they have the 'temporary visitor' stamp.

Can't say I feel particularly strongly about it one way or the other....

What difference does it make on a practical level?
Old May 8th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
(I know this is not strictly immigration/visa, but I wanted to get some opinion from people in the know.)

Since October last year, the DMV in Texas (not sure about other states), has instigated new forms to complete when applying for or renewing driving licenses and you are not a PR.

The result is that you are issued with a driving license that is not the same format as regular licenses (it is portrait rather than landscape) and is also stamped with "temporary visitor".

While I don't have a problem with identifying a person status on legal ID, I do take issue with the format change which makes me feel more of an outsider and raises questions about the validity of my ID and status when I show my license. I pay taxes, I have a car loan and mortgage, my kids go to american schools and are being raised american and we have no intention of going 'home'.

My question is this: is this a permanent federal change or is it going to be changed back?

I'm an EB3 category waiting for my PD (I know all about the current Visa bulletin fiasco) so I could potentially be 'singled out' for the next 3 - 5 years. It all seems a bit unconstitutional to me......

Comments please.....
I had a regular TX license (H4 visa) and had to change my address on it and therefore had to comply with the new laws and have a temporary license. Seems daft that, if I hadn't had moved house then I would still have my original license ...sorry i don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth!! (it took 45 mins for the nice lady to try and work out how to deal with me when I went into the DMV <sigh> )
Old May 8th 2009, 4:47 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

Originally Posted by lisa67
I had a regular TX license (H4 visa) and had to change my address on it and therefore had to comply with the new laws and have a temporary license. Seems daft that, if I hadn't had moved house then I would still have my original license ...sorry i don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth!! (it took 45 mins for the nice lady to try and work out how to deal with me when I went into the DMV <sigh> )
Took us 2 visits!

As far as the practical implications, it's a but uncomfortable to be given special attention when you show ID - there have been comments about "..oh, another immigrant.." etc.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:17 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

That's two questions. To answer, AFAICT it's not federal, just part of DPS' general anti-immigrant policy and there's little likelihood of any change (even the MALDEF case didn't address the format issue.

Practically unless you're part of an ethnic or religious minority with a vocal and well funded lobbying organisation there's no point complaining about any anti-immigrant prejudice from anyone and you're better off just sucking it up.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Driver's licenses are decided on a state-by-state basis with some guidance from the federal government because of the noise about RealID. Immigration is solely a federal matter. You get caught between these two systems, because the guidelines from the federal government cause the state government consternation over immigrant status - but the locals working at the DMVs do NOT know immigration law nor do they have any real training in how to handle varying situations.

The only thing to do is be nice, show them what they want, and try, try, try again. Any "constitutional rights" for non-citizens have been heavily watered down by the Bush administration and the right-leaning courts.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Driver's licenses are decided on a state-by-state basis with some guidance from the federal government because of the noise about RealID. Immigration is solely a federal matter. You get caught between these two systems, because the guidelines from the federal government cause the state government consternation over immigrant status - but the locals working at the DMVs do NOT know immigration law nor do they have any real training in how to handle varying situations.

The only thing to do is be nice, show them what they want, and try, try, try again.
Excellent summary and very well put.

Any "constitutional rights" for non-citizens have been heavily watered down by the Bush administration and the right-leaning courts.
Bit of political spin here, IMHO. For example, ISTR it was a TX court that ruled that non-citizens still enjoy 4th Amendment rights.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... it's a but uncomfortable to be given special attention when you show ID - there have been comments about "..oh, another immigrant.." etc.
Well... you *are* an immigrant and not a citizen. There's a difference... and if you're uncomfortable with that difference, either it's an issue you'll just have to come to terms with, or you can return home and feel more "normal".

Ian
Old May 8th 2009, 7:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well... you *are* an immigrant and not a citizen. There's a difference... and if you're uncomfortable with that difference, either it's an issue you'll just have to come to terms with, or you can return home and feel more "normal".
or suck it up until you become a citizen.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:20 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

Originally Posted by snowbunny
or suck it up until you become a citizen.

Don't get the tone of question wrong - they'll have to drag me out of here in irons! I am very humble when dealing with the authorities - I am old school and believe in being polite and helpful.

I just feel this great country forgets us immigrants have feelings too.....

....and yes, many years from now, when the paperwork is done, we've been poked and proded and questioned, I will be a citizen. Then I can moan about the immigrants too!!!!
Old May 8th 2009, 8:24 pm
Lapine Member

I am reminded of this fact every time I ask my husband to mow the lawn.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that's a Texas thing...
Old May 9th 2009, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm pretty sure that's a Texas thing...
Strictly speaking, I think it's only that part of the TX population that believes that everywhere in the world that is not the USA is Mexico...
Old May 10th 2009, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

ash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to allash_ak is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Strictly speaking, I think it's only that part of the TX population that believes that everywhere in the world that is not the USA is Mexico...
I would feel very uncomfortable showing a small town Texas trooper my "temporary" license....way too much cause for confusion & discrimination...