Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving license???

driving license???

Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

tinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud of
Default Re: driving license???

Originally Posted by Bob
all driving laws depend on the state....but chances are, he'll have to take a full test, but any old lemming could past what they call a driving test over here.
I hope it is easy. Doing the test tomorrow... the theory test seems pretty stright forward... Red means Stop... don't shoot at the stoplights.... try not to hit small animals... well I think I'm up to it.

Maybe I'm over confident. We'll see tomorrow.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

TonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinalise
I hope it is easy. Doing the test tomorrow... the theory test seems pretty stright forward... Red means Stop... don't shoot at the stoplights.... try not to hit small animals... well I think I'm up to it.

Maybe I'm over confident. We'll see tomorrow.
Be interested to see how you get on - just waiting for my SSN. Which of the wonderful DMV centers in LA did you choose in the end?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:27 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe you guys make me laugh!!!

Thanks for the help
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

TonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really nice

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Hehe you guys make me laugh!!!

Thanks for the help
Hey - we're USA newbies!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:49 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Heh ye, Im not even there yet - have you managed to make it yet?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Heh ye, Im not even there yet - have you managed to make it yet?
Yep - took an age and a half. But been in LA for a couple of weeks now.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:05 am
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by TonyLA
Yep - took an age and a half. But been in LA for a couple of weeks now.
How are you finding it? Is it a big culture shock? We are going Atlanta but I have only known for 3 weeks!! I know nothing about america lol
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

How are you finding it? Is it a big culture shock? We are going Atlanta but I have only known for 3 weeks!! I know nothing about america lol
Well - I had spent an awful lot of time here over the years anyway, so I figured I'd not have too much trouble. Already worked out how to obtain most of the thing I kinda missed from the UK and had some american and expat friends. However, it's one thing visiting - even for lengthy periods - and another moving. Not so much culture shock as kinda feeling out of sync.

I think a family or even a couple might fit in better but I ended up coming coming solo in the end, though it had not been the idea originally. So.....on the whole the Jury is still out.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

fern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nice

I got all my family International Driving Licenses from the AA, you can use this for 12 months in the country you are moving to. When or if you are stopped produce it and the Police just laugh! But, it is important to take the test sooner than later, as its a form of ID as well. You will do a test on a computer, then you can either do the driving there or then or you can arrange to come back another day. Before the test l went around the carpark at the center and practised parrallel parking. On the day the state trooper took me around a nice neihbourhood and back!!! call this a test.. anyway, l passed. Good Luck.. you cant live in USA without driving it will drive you mad!!!!!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:01 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fern
you cant live in USA without driving it will drive you mad!!!!!
Shouldn't that be 'walk' you mad if you don't have a licence?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I got all my family International Driving Licenses from the AA, you can use this for 12 months in the country you are moving to....
not really, it's a translated permit, not a license, and once you become a resident of the state your in, you've got to get the local license in the length of time the state requires...
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:26 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Apparently not too many New Jerseyites have been taught how to drive (swerving from lane to lane, never using turn signals, tailgating, jumping red lights, speeding, driving at 5pm on the freeway) so you'd probably fit in well there.

Practice in a parking lot. Just remember to have a big Starbucks in one hand, a cigarette in the other and your mobile phone clamped under one ear.
Maybe they should wait until 7pm then, and avoid rush hour.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:27 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Maybe they should wait until 7pm then, and avoid rush hour.
Touché!
Old Oct 13th 2007, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

tinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TonyLA
Be interested to see how you get on - just waiting for my SSN. Which of the wonderful DMV centers in LA did you choose in the end?
I passed! They seem to be obsessed with slippery roads 5 out of 30 questions were about that.

Strange... did they look outside before they did the questions?? Not exactly a high risk to come across considering it rains 3 days a year. Well good thing I've driven in London I know everything there is to know about slippery roads

Anyhow, Tony, I went to Glendale because it is around the corner from work. Now it is 2 weeks wait until the driving test. )
Old Oct 13th 2007, 5:44 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I got all my family International Driving Licenses from the AA, you can use this for 12 months in the country you are moving to. When or if you are stopped produce it and the Police just laugh! But, it is important to take the test sooner than later, as its a form of ID as well. You will do a test on a computer, then you can either do the driving there or then or you can arrange to come back another day. Before the test l went around the carpark at the center and practised parrallel parking. On the day the state trooper took me around a nice neihbourhood and back!!! call this a test.. anyway, l passed. Good Luck.. you cant live in USA without driving it will drive you mad!!!!!
The international drivers license has no value or purpose in the US. It does NOT entitle you to ANYTHING. It is simply a document that says that you have a valid license in the UK... which is pointless, because you have to have the license with you too. It's purpose is to translate foreign licenses written in other languages into the local language. Since the UK and the US allegedly share a common language, the document is meaningless. But the AA are always happy to take your money for such things.

More details

Oh, and you CANNOT use the International Drivers License for 12 months unless your particular state allows it. And even then, it's your foreign license that they allow, not the worthless IDL. Many states only allow you to drive for 30 days on a foreign license. Others allow 3, 6, or 12 months, or require that you get a state license once you "become resident in the state".

Last edited by dbj1000; Oct 13th 2007 at 5:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.