Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

Old Feb 14th 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

MrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

The company I work for may be offering me a great opportunity in the Tampa area. Like many, Florida is our holiday destination of choice (we visit about 4 times a year) but I'm not under any illusions that it's going to be like living in Disney World.

That said, I am expecting a nicer lifestyle where my daughter can play outside, learn to swim (because it's too cold here for most of the year), spend less time in childcare (currently we both work full time, if we move it'll just be me and i should be out the house less hours). Being near the beach and other places we enjoy is, of course, appealing.

All I am reading on this forum is that the schools are bad (although my daughter is only just 3 so a while off for us), everything is hugely expensive and we are probably going to be eaten by alligators before the year is out.

Does anyone have any differing views?
Old Feb 14th 2016, 7:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

Originally Posted by MrsT3030
The company I work for may be offering me a great opportunity in the Tampa area. Like many, Florida is our holiday destination of choice (we visit about 4 times a year) but I'm not under any illusions that it's going to be like living in Disney World.

That said, I am expecting a nicer lifestyle where my daughter can play outside, learn to swim (because it's too cold here for most of the year), spend less time in childcare (currently we both work full time, if we move it'll just be me and i should be out the house less hours). Being near the beach and other places we enjoy is, of course, appealing.

All I am reading on this forum is that the schools are bad (although my daughter is only just 3 so a while off for us), everything is hugely expensive and we are probably going to be eaten by alligators before the year is out.

Not the alligators, but the mosquitos and the humidity will be bad according to posts on here, the humidity may stop a lot of the outdoor lifestyle.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsT3030

Can't give you any info about living in FL (visited once and hated it!) but I'm intrigued - why can't your daughter learn to swim in the UK? Being 'too cold most of the year' wouldn't stop her learning in an indoor pool?

Bit off topic I know but I had to ask, as with two children who've been having swimming lessons in the UK for years that statement rather intrigued me!

Good luck with your potential move.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:14 am
Just Joined

MrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can't give you any info about living in FL (visited once and hated it!) but I'm intrigued - why can't your daughter learn to swim in the UK? Being 'too cold most of the year' wouldn't stop her learning in an indoor pool?

Bit off topic I know but I had to ask, as with two children who've been having swimming lessons in the UK for years that statement rather intrigued me!

Good luck with your potential move.
She can of course, it just tends to be very chilly (even indoors) in the winter months and there isn't a lot of pleasure in it. Our local indoor pool is hideous too!
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a different indoor pool?
Old Feb 14th 2016, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Try a different indoor pool?
+1. And do look at private swimming lessons rather than council led scenes as they're usually in far nicer pools. My two go to a posh private school pool for their lessons, all brand new facilities and lovely and warm, still cheaper than lessons at our local council pool though!

As said above, the humidity in FL seens to curtail a lot of outdoor activities, might be worth searching the forums for other threads on how the heat can be as much of a problem as the cold in the UK.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. The swimming lessons weren't really the crux of it, just the opportunity to be near the water, get some vitamin D and enjoy a different lifestyle. The work opportunity is really the driver but certainly Florida has always appealed for me. What I'm reading here though tends to be all negative and no positive.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Does it matter what other people think of a place, what matters is what you think, you are the one moving there.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 1:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The weather might be warm and pleasant in the winter in Florida, but I find it offensively hot and humid in the summer. I have much more opportunity to do things out of doors 500 miles to the north than I ever would in Florida.

I also have negilible risk of being blown away and flooded out by a Hurricane. That is a perpetual risk in Florida.

Schools - you've touched on those in your other thread, don't have a great reputation.

The houses in Florida are mostly single storey and packed in like sardines.

Florida is as flat as a pancake, so very little scenery - what you see is buildings, trees, .... and sky.

I guess that's more of what I don't like than "do like", but that's my thinking.
Does it matter what other people think of a place, what matters is what you think, you are the one moving there.
This. ..... I guess the OP is trawling to find support for her plan.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Florida but have a sister and several friends who do. Only one of them had school age children and they were located in the Port Richie area of Florida. Sis and the others are in Ft. Myers and my oldest daughter once lived in Naples.

Yes, it is a nice place to live. Lots of sunshine and the beaches are beautiful. Housing is inexpensive if compared to other areas of the US.

Like all places it has pros and cons. Lots of humidity, mosquitos, alligators, traffic, senior citizens. But then again it has good medical facilities and a laid back type of lifestyle.

As for humidity, live by the gulf or the ocean and let the water breezes push the humidity away. Florida is not the only state with high humidity. We have it in Mississippi where you can cut it for a knife. Humidity in some major cities such as NYC, can be deadly in the summertime. Mosquitos are all over the country and at least there aren't biting black flies like in Canada. Alligators tend to stay to themselves and unless you live near the swamp or a pond or lake you probably will not see one.

Hurricanes happen all along the eastern seaboard of the US and along the gulf coast. Daughter lost their building in Mississippi to Katrina and their home in Hattiesburg, MS to a tornado. While visiting my sister this January there was a killer tornado just a few miles from her in Ft. Myers. Again, tornados happen all around the US. We even have had them here in NYC and Massachusetts.

You are being given a chance to change your lifestyle by living in another country and in an area that you feel that you might well like. Give it a whirl. What is the worse thing that can happen? You don't like it and move back to the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Hmm

No Tornados and no Mosquitos and Humidity miniscule.

Sadly we are full.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 2:22 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt find the oppressive summer humidity so terrible, [all out of the pool, more thunder] i hated the spring. Almost freezing overnight, heavy dew on everything, and 80 by 2pm. Take clothes for 3 seasons every day... No wonder everyone wanders around sneezing and complaining about allergies and colds. Where i am now in the caribbean its always 80 something and always humid, and after a period of acclimatisation [glowing women call it] its just pleasant, all the time, and people dont do aircon, far too unhealthy.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Feb 14th 2016 at 2:25 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I like living in Tampa Bay area. I wouldn't say it is terribly expensive. No state income tax, 7% sales tax.

Haven't had a Hurricane come close since 2004. Only seen a couple of alligators, out and about.

You get used to the climate - just accept you'll be a sweaty mess after 10 mins outside!

I have no idea about schools, sorry.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

It's good to get these balances views. Moving to Florida has been a life long dream but I didn't want that to cloud my judgement when deciding to take this job opportunity.

I suppose to an extent I was hoping to see some positive experiences but I'm glad for the balanced view.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

I would value the views of those who have lived there over my own, having only visited on holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.