Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Old May 20th 2015, 11:10 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They are also second to none when it comes to settling a claim.

You will be in the NY Met area...it is expensive but it's a good place to be IMO.

also got a decent quote from Progressive but is it worth getting higher levels of coverage for bodily injury in NJ than the minimal 300k per accident??

looks like am going to have to hire a car initially without an SSN you are pretty hamstrung to do anything in the US!
Old May 20th 2015, 11:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doconthemove
also got a decent quote from Progressive but is it worth getting higher levels of coverage for bodily injury in NJ than the minimal 300k per accident??

looks like am going to have to hire a car initially without an SSN you are pretty hamstrung to do anything in the US!
Ask anyone native to NJ...you will not get a better company than NJM. Others may be cheaper...I don't know...but they are the very best when it comes to claims. $300K won't go very far if there are injuries...but you should know that.
Old May 22nd 2015, 1:13 am
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

Ask anyone native to NJ...you will not get a better company than NJM. Others may be cheaper...I don't know...but they are the very best when it comes to claims. $300K won't go very far if there are injuries...but you should know that.

yes agree there 300k would be more than enough if it actually went on the injuries but most of that goes on admin costs and other hangers on merchants who whittle away the money!

which is the best mobile for that area? was going to go with at&t and tether the internet until I can get a connection set up.

Are comcast ok for internet? they seem to have that apartment complex prewired?

thanks again
Old May 22nd 2015, 1:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yes agree there 300k would be more than enough if it actually went on the injuries but most of that goes on admin costs and other hangers on merchants who whittle away the money!

which is the best mobile for that area? was going to go with at&t and tether the internet until I can get a connection set up.

Are comcast ok for internet? they seem to have that apartment complex prewired?

thanks again
We used to have Comcast cable but switched to Verizon Fioz when it became available. Our home phone, cable, internet and my cell phone where all Verizon. Can't recall having any problems with Verizon.

I use AT&T cellular data on my iPad when I'm travelling.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:47 pm
Banned

sorry another ?basic question do i need to get the utilities set up prior to arrival in the apartment or is it possible once I am there like generally you do in the UK? what is the convention there??

i will be responsible for gas and electric. i heard unlike the UK there is no choice of supplier there! thanks again
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

sorry another ?basic question do i need to get the utilities set up prior to arrival in the apartment or is it possible once I am there like generally you do in the UK? what is the convention there??

i will be responsible for gas and electric. i heard unlike the UK there is no choice of supplier there! thanks again
The supplier or if you are lucky suppliers...depends on the area. Ideally you need to get it set up before move in...ask the landlord about this. We used PSEG for gas...JCPL for electricity. You will probably have to give them a deposit...this is normal for expats. All bills are monthly.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 24th 2015 at 1:48 pm.
Old May 24th 2015, 2:38 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have a few years of payments with no issues. You can get the deposit back.
Old May 24th 2015, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSEG for gas...JCPL for leccie.
OP......I wouldn't call it "leccie" here in America; they won't have a clue as to what you're talking about.
Old May 24th 2015, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MMcD
OP......I wouldn't call it "leccie" here in America; they won't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Edited.
Old May 24th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Edited.
(...best not give anyone an excuse to screw up )
Old May 24th 2015, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MMcD
(...best not give anyone an excuse to screw up )
It's bad enough getting yourself understood in NJ without introducing new words.
Old May 24th 2015, 8:13 pm
Banned

It's bad enough getting yourself understood in NJ withhout introducing new words.
How much is the deposit generally if don't mind asking? Another thing I have to budget for I didn't expect!! 😅
Old May 24th 2015, 8:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How much is the deposit generally if don't mind asking? Another thing I have to budget for I didn't expect!! 😅
Budget between $50-600 per utility as a deposit as a ball park.
Old May 24th 2015, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Probably a few hundred for each company...but I don't really know as it was 1996 when we moved here,
Old May 25th 2015, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to NJ two years ago, in 2013, we had to pay $500 to each utility company as a deposit. We got it back a year later though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.