Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Old May 17th 2015, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Originally Posted by doconthemove
take a look here is the deal sorry it is a 2 yr lease

salernoduanesummit.com/jeep-models-in-nj/jeep-grand-cherokee-summit-nj

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 Lease for $159 for 24 months SUV, 4-Dr., Auto, 3.6L, V6, PB/S/W/Lks/Mirrs, Air, Dual Air Bags, Alloys, AM/FM/CD, Customer preferred package. VIN #1C4RJFAG8FC821860 MSRP: $34790. Lease: $3500 Due At Incep; Ttl. Pyts: $3816; P/Opt. At Lease End: $23309.30 Mi.

am i missing something?? .....
Yes, and potentially a biggie: How many "free" miles do you get each year, and what is the per-mile charge if you exceed it? I have seen leases giving as few as 10,000 included miles, and then you start to pay, and for an SUV you may pay handsomely - I'd be surprised if it was less than 20c/mile, and could easily be 30c or more. The lease may be a bet by the dealer that they're going to get a low mileage two year old vehicle to sell at the end of the lease, and if you spoil that plan you can end up pay big bucks in excess mileage charges. Also look in the small print for things such as charges for minor scratches and marks, inside and out, and charges for things such as turning the car in with an unapproved brand of tyre, or tyres that are "worn" - they expect the tyres to look good and be suitable for the next owner. These charges can add substantially to the cost of the lease. Of course the dealer will be happy to sell you a "protection policy" to cover bodywork scratches and upholstery marks .... for a price!
Old May 17th 2015, 6:03 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I feel sorry for elderly people...they seems to have pages and pages of paperwork to fill in when they go to see a doctor.

Living in the U.S. gives you a new appreciation of the UK on so many levels.

Don't get me wrong...we have always had excellent healthcare...because we have excellent insurance cover. Elective surgery...yup can do it next Monday...no queue or cancellations. MRI or CT scan can be done more or less immediately. I can always see my GP the same day. Unfortunately there are millions and millions of Americans that can't afford to visit the doctor.
yep agree but conversely the NHS is on its last legs and the expectation of brits really cant meet what the NHS can offer anymore. the only reason the NHS worked was that there was an acceptance of honest failure but that doesnt really exist anymore!

all the hospitals complain about the costs of looking after uninsured/underinsured and the financial burden so I no idea who is right over the issue of healthcare access. the slack seems to be taken up somewhere.

re: my car dilemma i will be living next to the hosp practically so mileage will be next to zilch so i would struggle to do over 10k a yr
Old May 17th 2015, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yep agree but conversely the NHS is on its last legs and the expectation of brits really cant meet what the NHS can offer anymore. the only reason the NHS worked was that there was an acceptance of honest failure but that doesnt really exist anymore!

all the hospitals complain about the costs of looking after uninsured/underinsured and the financial burden so I no idea who is right over the issue of healthcare access. the slack seems to be taken up somewhere.

re: my car dilemma i will be living next to the hosp practically so mileage will be next to zilch so i would struggle to do over 10k a yr

Do you have any particular make/model I'm mind?
Old May 17th 2015, 6:14 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

a midsize 4WD SUV would be ok say a VW Tiguan or Ford Escape something like that would be ok unless anyone else better suggestions?
Old May 17th 2015, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

ammurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Health insurance is free! Gotta get some perks right?!!

That sunrise things looks just what expats need. Any documents you need like no claims letter??

Am guessing with IA no need to get insurance with them also?
I'm glad about free insurance:-)

Yea I took car with IA and insurance with sunrise my last claim was 8 years ago and they said I only had to declare last 5 - no proof required and can pay in 4 installments every other month, plus they quoted 1 year not 6 months.
Old May 17th 2015, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

a midsize 4WD SUV would be ok say a VW Tiguan or Ford Escape something like that would be ok unless anyone else better suggestions?
Try the Ford dealership in my old town...Mendham. They normally don't try to give you the hard sell routine. There is a VW dealership in Bernardsville.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:01 pm
Banned

There are a few dealers in summit including a vw one that has good reviews on Google, yellow pages etc so thought may give them a go too. Anyone had experience of the dealers there? As its upmarket are they any better??
Old May 17th 2015, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

There are a few dealers in summit including a vw one that has good reviews on Google, yellow pages etc so thought may give them a go too. Anyone had experience of the dealers there? As its upmarket are they any better??
We've been to the Smythe Volvo, Douglas VW and Infinity dealership...we found them to be good. We used Douglas for servicing our daughter's VW and Infinity vehicles...haven't bought a vehicle from them.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:29 am
Banned

yes douglas is the one i spoke to on the phone they were ok I guess I just need something reasonably quick.

if in the UK I could drag my heels buying one holding out for the best deal but not when you a newcomer in a place lacking public transport!!

one thing i am quickly realising is the amount of $$$ it takes to move and settle in is a lotttt! me thinks will be living on bread and water for a good while there lol
Old May 18th 2015, 12:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yes douglas is the one i spoke to on the phone they were ok I guess I just need something reasonably quick.

if in the UK I could drag my heels buying one holding out for the best deal but not when you a newcomer in a place lacking public transport!!

one thing i am quickly realising is the amount of $$$ it takes to move and settle in is a lotttt! me thinks will be living on bread and water for a good while there lol
Probably at least twice as much as you originally thought. You are moving to a very expensive part of the country.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:46 am
mgd
Forum Regular

mgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably at least twice as much as you originally thought. You are moving to a very expensive part of the country.
Where have you been that provides a similar to jersey feel but at a less expensive price, if anywhere?
Old May 18th 2015, 10:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mgd
Where have you been that provides a similar to jersey feel ......
There is nowhere quite like Joizey.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mgd
Where have you been that provides a similar to jersey feel but at a less expensive price, if anywhere?
What relevance does that question have to this thread?
Old May 18th 2015, 3:54 pm
Banned

Well out of all insurance quotes NJ Manufacturers is the best! That Sunrise broker was the most expensive! So there you go.

Think the whole obtaining car business will be the most stressful out of the whole move!

I do think the area is over priced for what it is jersey not sure if you agree. I feel its the proximity to NYC that bumps the price up more than anything.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well out of all insurance quotes NJ Manufacturers is the best! That Sunrise broker was the most expensive! So there you go.

Think the whole obtaining car business will be the most stressful out of the whole move!

I do think the area is over priced for what it is jersey not sure if you agree. I feel its the proximity to NYC that bumps the price up more than anything.
They are also second to none when it comes to settling a claim.

You will be in the NY Met area...it is expensive but it's a good place to be IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.