Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Old May 17th 2015, 11:52 am
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doc moving to NJ - General advice needed please

Health insurance is free! Gotta get some perks right?!!

That sunrise things looks just what expats need. Any documents you need like no claims letter??

Am guessing with IA no need to get insurance with them also?
Old May 17th 2015, 12:04 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

Also with IA a local nj dealer has an offer for a jeep grand Cherokee lease at 159 a month with 2.5k down payment but IA is asking for 450 a month lease for the same thing! Are they a bit variable?
Old May 17th 2015, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doconthemove
Also with IA a local nj dealer has an offer for a jeep grand Cherokee lease at 159 a month with 2.5k down payment but IA is asking for 450 a month lease for the same thing! Are they a bit variable?
Something doesn't smell quite right about a $159 lease for a Grand Cherokee as they start at around $30,000 and depreciation would account for much more than $2,000/ yr ...... In other words after three years there is no earthly way that a used GC would have a trade in value of $22,000 which a lease of $159 and $2,500 would imply.

It is likely that the dealer is quoting a lease assuming that you have a trade-in vehicle to meet the downpayment and to reduce the value tied up in the lease. ...... I have looked at lease payments from local dealers and compared them to manufacturer website prices and lease figures, and when Honda and Ford give lease estimates of $300-$400 on fairly basic vehicles, when dealers are openly advertising leases of $100-$200, something is "wrong", and the difference is that the dealers are expecting you to trade something in, and something that isn't ready for the junk yard.

Also there are several different spec Grand Cherokees, and at least two different engine options as well as 2WD and 4x4 variants, which can affect the sale price substantially.

That said, other people have reported that IA is not especially competitive on leases.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 17th 2015 at 1:29 pm.
Old May 17th 2015, 1:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Something doesn't smell quite right about a $159 lease for a Grand Cherokee as they start at around $30,000 and depreciation would account for much more than $2,000/ yr ...... In other words after three years there is no earthly way that a used GC would have a trade in value of $22,000 which a lease of $159 and $2,500 would imply.

It is likely that the dealer is quoting a lease assuming that you have a trade-in vehicle to meet the downpayment and to reduce the value tied up in the lease. ...... I have looked at lease payments from local dealers and compared them to manufacturer website prices and lease figures, and when Honda and Ford give lease estimates of $300-$400 on fairly basic vehicles, when dealers are openly advertising leases of $100-$200, something is "wrong", and the difference is that the dealers are expecting you to trade something in, and something that isn't ready for the junk yard.

Also there are several different spec Grand Cherokees, and at least two different engine options as well as 2WD and 4x4 variants, which can affect the sale price substantially.

That said, other people have reported that IA is not especially competitive on leases.

take a look here is the deal sorry it is a 2 yr lease

salernoduanesummit.com/jeep-models-in-nj/jeep-grand-cherokee-summit-nj

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 Lease for $159 for 24 months SUV, 4-Dr., Auto, 3.6L, V6, PB/S/W/Lks/Mirrs, Air, Dual Air Bags, Alloys, AM/FM/CD, Customer preferred package. VIN #1C4RJFAG8FC821860 MSRP: $34790. Lease: $3500 Due At Incep; Ttl. Pyts: $3816; P/Opt. At Lease End: $23309.30 Mi.

am i missing something?? no trade in as far i can see
Old May 17th 2015, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get approved if you've just arrived and don't have a good credit score, plus:

Lease incl $1000 2015 returning lessee , $500 National assoc of realtors 2015 employee, $1000 lease pull ahead bonus cash, $500 Military consumer cash** to qualified buyers only. See dealer for complete details. **Must provide proof of active military ID to qualify.
In other words you need to have had a previous Chrysler/Jeep, be an employee of a company that's in the National Association of Realtors, have military ID etc.
Old May 17th 2015, 2:36 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Olly_
You won't get approved if you've just arrived and don't have a good credit score, plus:

In other words you need to have had a previous Chrysler/Jeep, be an employee of a company that's in the National Association of Realtors, have military ID etc.
I know a senior Brit doc in a different hospital got a lease approved as soon he arrived so I thought it was feasible I guess it depends on individual circumstances

Last edited by notshipman; May 17th 2015 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 17th 2015, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman
I know a senior Brit doc in a different hospital got a lease approved as soon he arrived so I thought it was feasible I guess it depends on individual circumstances
So did we. We had two 2 year leased vehicles from a Ford dealership within two weeks of arriving.
Old May 17th 2015, 3:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So did we. We had two 2 year leased vehicles from a Ford dealership within two weeks of arriving.

yeah that what i thought jersey I rang a few dealers casually in northern NJ they were all receptive to leasing to new immigrant professionals and had experience of doing so
Old May 17th 2015, 3:37 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Joisey, da land of bada bing!

To answer your bank question, a better alternative to banks would be a credit union. They have better terms, lower penalties and are oftentimes nonprofit.

When buying a car, I'd go for a late model used car. Avoid expensive German cars of all types. Americans tend to resent doctors driving cars like Beemers, assuming they're loaded.
Old May 17th 2015, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yeah that what i thought jersey I rang a few dealers casually in northern NJ they were all receptive to leasing to new immigrant professionals and had experience of doing so
Just be aware...if it seems too good to be true it usually is.

Buying a car is quite an ordeal unless you are buying from a luxury car dealership. They really pile on the hard sell routine. The salesmen get a bollocking if they let a customer leave the premises without signing on the dotted line. Don't let them push you into buying or leasing. We always think about it at least overnight...the deal will still be there he next day...or next week...no matter what the salesman says.
Old May 17th 2015, 3:46 pm
Banned

Just be aware...if it seems too good to be true it usually is.

Buying a car is quite an ordeal unless you are buying from a luxury car dealership. They really pile on the hard sell routine. The salesmen get a bollocking if they let a customer leave the premises without signing on the dotted line. Don't let them push you into buying or leasing. We always think about it at least overnight...the deal will still be there he next day...or next week...no matter what the salesman says.

i know what u mean jersey i drive a hard deal though. there is that site truecar.com which kind of gives u a guide to lowest price a dealer gives without hassle of haggling etc

that lease deal above does seem too good to be true thats for sure!!

i have to balance caution with not wanting to shell out £30 a day for a rental car too if i can avoid it as am sure u know public transport in that part josey doesnt appear to be great!
Old May 17th 2015, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a lease isn't hard.

It's getting the advertised, good deal that's tricky.
Old May 17th 2015, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
Getting a lease isn't hard.

It's getting the advertised, good deal that's tricky.
Yeah like I said above...if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Smoke and mirrors.
Old May 17th 2015, 5:04 pm
Banned

Yeah like I said above...if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Smoke and mirrors.
v.true i find the small print in the US makes the UK look like primary school!

even as a physician I can say the health insurance is completely incomprehensible so I can see why its so easy for lay people to be taken to the cleaners literally!
Old May 17th 2015, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

v.true i find the small print in the US makes the UK look like primary school!

even as a physician I can say the health insurance is completely incomprehensible so I can see why its so easy for lay people to be taken to the cleaners literally!
I feel sorry for elderly people...they seems to have pages and pages of paperwork to fill in when they go to see a doctor.

Living in the U.S. gives you a new appreciation of the UK on so many levels.

Don't get me wrong...we have always had excellent healthcare...because we have excellent insurance cover. Elective surgery...yup can do it next Monday...no queue or cancellations. MRI or CT scan can be done more or less immediately. I can always see my GP the same day. Unfortunately there are millions and millions of Americans that can't afford to visit the doctor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.