Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do SIPP contributions count for US tax?

Do SIPP contributions count for US tax?

Old Apr 5th 2018, 12:58 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do SIPP contributions count for US tax?

The UK allows you to pay £2880 into a SIPP for 5 years after you leave the UK and will give you £720 in "tax relief" even though you no longer live or pay tax there.

I seem to recall reading that those SIPP contributions will count as retirement/401k/whatever contributions when you do the US tax return but unfortunately I can't find much information about this.

Can someone confirm that SIPP contributions count as retirement contributions from a US perspective that will lower your taxable income. If so, how do I enter that on the tax return? (which field or name do I have to look for). Finally, is my contribution £2880 or the full amount including tax relief, i.e. £3600?

One reference I found is this but it's from a US citizen in the UK:
https://money.stackexchange.com/ques...-contributions
Old Apr 5th 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do SIPP contributions count for US tax?

Originally Posted by tbm
The UK allows you to pay £2880 into a SIPP for 5 years after you leave the UK and will give you £720 in "tax relief" even though you no longer live or pay tax there.

I seem to recall reading that those SIPP contributions will count as retirement/401k/whatever contributions when you do the US tax return but unfortunately I can't find much information about this.

Can someone confirm that SIPP contributions count as retirement contributions from a US perspective that will lower your taxable income. If so, how do I enter that on the tax return? (which field or name do I have to look for). Finally, is my contribution £2880 or the full amount including tax relief, i.e. £3600?

One reference I found is this but it's from a US citizen in the UK:
https://money.stackexchange.com/ques...-contributions
I made SIPP contributions like this when I moved to the USA in 2009. I do not believe it is deductible against US income. I certainly didn't claim anything and was more than happy to get a "free" UK £720 (or whatever it was then).