Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do my qualifications transfer?

Do my qualifications transfer?

Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do my qualifications transfer?

I agree. CIS, IRS, state motor vehicle departments, state college and university systems, county junior college systems, and individual private colleges, universities, and junior colleges all have their own definitions of 'resident' for their own needs and purposes.

Those definitions may have some common elements, they will also have differences.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by md95065
Don't confuse "resident" from the immigration perspective with "resident" for the purposes of qualifying for in-state tuition rates at a state university or community college. The latter (qualifying for reduced fees) usually requires at least one year of "residence" (as defined by the state, not USCIS).

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think he becomes a resident after you are married and he is placed on a spousal visa ...

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 25th 2010 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:05 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Don't confuse "resident" from the immigration perspective with "resident" for the purposes of qualifying for in-state tuition rates at a state university or community college. The latter (qualifying for reduced fees) usually requires at least one year of "residence" (as defined by the state, not USCIS).
This is absolutely correct. As has been stated, they're in the business to make money, more if you have to pay "out of state" tuition. When my wife moved from Indiana to Michigan to live with me, even though she was the UKC and had lived in MI for 3 months, she still DIDN'T qualify for in state tuition. I think we managed to negotiate a 6 month period as residency.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:07 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris and Mystasia,

I'm in Wisconsin (c'mon you Cheese Heads!) and I have a couple of local British friends here too. One of them is here on a B2 visa and as she can't work she's taken to doing the occasional class at the local technical college. We're not talking degree-level stuff here - cookery, sewing, book-binding, etc - but as far as I'm aware she just paid a flat fee.

If you find yourself in a position where the college is making you pay extortionate fees as you're not technically a resident, but you're only doing the classes to pass the time before you EAD comes up, then think about doing some silly classes at the local tech instead.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Where abouts in WI are you headed?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

Hey...

I'm going to be in Madison... I got a number for the lady who deals with international students at MATC and I'm giving her a call tomorrow so hopefully I should be able to find out more... although I'm guessing she usually deals with people on student visas so I'm not sure if she will even know about my situation with being on a K1...
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

mystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nicemystasia is just really nice

He's been looking at doing a Madison Area Technical College degree in Respiratory Therapy, though apparantly he has to be a "resident" to get on the wait list. But we were hoping he'd be able to do some of the general class for the program such as Speech, Written Communication, Psychology .... just general classes that you dont need to be in a program to take. The cost isnt too terrible at MATC for non residents, it would be about $150-200 more per class, but I think it would be worth him being able to start school right away vs waiting...

I just hope he'd be able to enroll for the fall semester given he'll be on the K1 till July, then sending in to adjust status after that.

Gingerert where are you in Wisconsin?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mystasia
I just hope he'd be able to enroll for the fall semester given he'll be on the K1 till July, then sending in to adjust status after that.
He's fine to attend school on the K-1, before he applies to adjust status. There shouldn't be an issue there.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:05 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
Hey...

I'm going to be in Madison... I got a number for the lady who deals with international students at MATC and I'm giving her a call tomorrow so hopefully I should be able to find out more... although I'm guessing she usually deals with people on student visas so I'm not sure if she will even know about my situation with being on a K1...
Ah, Madison! I LOVE Madison. My OH went to UWM there while we were dating long-distance so I got to spend a lot of time there visiting. We still have friends there, which is fabulous.

He's been looking at doing a Madison Area Technical College degree in Respiratory Therapy, though apparantly he has to be a "resident" to get on the wait list. But we were hoping he'd be able to do some of the general class for the program such as Speech, Written Communication, Psychology .... just general classes that you dont need to be in a program to take. The cost isnt too terrible at MATC for non residents, it would be about $150-200 more per class, but I think it would be worth him being able to start school right away vs waiting...

Gingerert where are you in Wisconsin?
Hmm... I suppose it depends on MATC's criteria, but if they're anything like the schools around here, they will let you do the odd class for a flat fee with or without residency.

And I think you're both right about people not having any clue what a K-1 visa is. Hell, half the people in this state don't even know where the UK is.

And I'm a UKC married to a USC in Racine.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else tried to get into a university or technical college after arriving on a K1 visa?
Well, it's been a while... but yes, I went to university after arriving on a K-1 visa. I entered the US in April 1998, got married in May, applied to adjust status in June, and was in school in late August. I was enrolled in a Masters program and I'll note here - just for the humorous irony - that I got my green card just one month (April 2001) before I got my degree (May 2001).

Now... the part that probably interests you: I applied to several schools both in state and out of state. The in state school (UK, by staggering coincidence) wanted me to pay international student fees until such time as I either had my GC or had lived in state for one year. The out of state school (a smaller, more "down home" school) let me pay "metro fees" since the county I lived in bordered the state line. So, I ended up paying a bit more than in state fees, but not nearly as much as international student fees. Anyway... it worked out well for me. Good luck to you both.

Ian