Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Originally Posted by fozzyb
No - I've once told the officer I wanted to enter on VWP, even when I had the L1 visa in my passport, and he didn't even blink or ask why.
Really? I believe you but I'm pretty surprised. Those guys always seem to be on a lookout for an excuse or something to brighten their day.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

It must be a pretty dull job most of the time, so yes you can believe they take any excitement they can get.

In my case I no longer worked for the company my L1 was linked to - so it wouldn't have been valid but there is no way the officer could have known that. But it must be a common enough occurrence to not be interesting to him.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
Really? I believe you but I'm pretty surprised. Those guys always seem to be on a lookout for an excuse or something to brighten their day.
Yes, happens a lot.

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2014, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

I came for a house finding visit prior to my H1B visa start date, it was in the passport. I just told the officer we were entering on VWP and there were no issues.

Actually when we did arrive 'permanently' I met the nicest officer I have ever had on all of my visits. He was smiling and even allowed my son to stamp his own passport. All this after I had prepared my family that it could be a long and dull process.

Last edited by Phyzz; Oct 31st 2014 at 2:17 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the nutshell is - if you enter with the vwp - you wont be in the system as having the right to stay (that entering with the visa would give you). So they wont be able to ACCEPT the ssn application as they wont be able to confirm you have the right to be there. so in that instance the address is irrelevant.

its the same thing they tell you when they say wait ten days from arrival with the visa to apply for an ssn - you need time for that 'right to stay' to hit all the relevant systems so they can process the ssn application. Only in the vwp entry case - you wont be getting the computer entry.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Legally, if you're a visitor, you're a visitor, so they process the entry as visiting, you're not entering as a skilled worker or whatever at that point. They're two separate sections of the INA.

However there is one situation where that doesn't apply, which is when you have a B-1/2 visa and are a national of a VWP country. You have to be processed using the visa as your intent is to enter as a visitor.

A valid B-1/B-2 visa takes precedence over any application for admission made under the VWP. Thus, if a national from a VWP country presents a Form I-94W but has a valid B-1/2 visa in his or her passport, the alien must be issued a regular Form I-94 and processed as a B-1/2 visitor.