Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Old Oct 30th 2014, 8:23 am
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Question is in the title really,

Moving in January, visiting in December. Would be a lot easier if I applied for my SSN during my trip in December (when I will have my visa) so that I have it when I land in Jan.

Do I need a US address to get my SSN??

Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need a US address to get a Social Security Number

Someone suggested to me that you could use your work address to begin with if you're in temporary accommodation? Seems to make sense that you could do the same?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

To be allowed to work, you have to enter with your working visa, not using the VWP.

ID requirements are here. I don't see anything requiring proof of address.
Learn what documents you need to get a Social Security Card
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave

Moving in January, visiting in December. Would be a lot easier if I applied for my SSN during my trip in December (when I will have my visa) so that I have it when I land in Jan.

Thanks
When you visit in December, are you going to be using the VWP? If so, then no, you can't get a SSN on that trip.

You can't get a SSN until you enter the USA using your work visa.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

From my recent application, I only provided a temporary address which was then used for them to send me my card. No proof that I lived there was needed, so your work address should be OK. Mine was sent to the hotel we were staying in as we were there for a month.
I have now moved to my permanent address and tried to change address with the SS office. I was told that it was not needed as long as I wasn't claiming benefits then they didn't really care where I lived. (not the exact words used, but pretty much the meaning)

You will need to have entered using your work visa as you also need to provide the I-94 printout.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:36 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When you visit in December, are you going to be using the VWP? If so, then no, you can't get a SSN on that trip.

You can't get a SSN until you enter the USA using your work visa.

Rene
This is a whole other question. I have no idea what I should be using to enter the US when I come in December.

I will be visiting the office but it would be a stretch to say I was working
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a whole other question. I have no idea what I should be using to enter the US when I come in December.

I will be visiting the office but it would be a stretch to say I was working
In your first post you mention you will visit in December on your visa!!!!

What type of visa?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Amie06
In your first post you mention you will visit in December on your visa!!!!

What type of visa?
At no point did I say I would visit on my visa, what I said was I would have my visa. I did not say I would use it.

I believe I cannot use the visa until 10 days before I start work, although someone may well correct me.

I am on an E2 Treaty Investor visa, not a standard E2 (by a pool cleaning business, put up $200k), but an employer sponsored E2.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The way it sounds to me is that you'll be using the VWP for your upcoming visit (since you won't be starting work at that time), so you can't apply for your SSN on that trip.

On the next trip, you will be entering the USA using the E2 visa and will start working. You can apply for your SSN after that arrival.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I am on an E2 Treaty Investor visa, not a standard E2 (by a pool cleaning business, put up $200k), but an employer sponsored E2.
How it works for people in a non-immigrant category is that when you enter, CBP enter you into DHS SAVE and then the Social Security Administration know they can issue you with an SSN number, and then you apply for one on an SS-5 at the SSA office. So basically yes, it has to go to a US address.

Can be a bit awkward if the employer uses E-verify, as there can be a gap of a week or so before you can get the number, but they have to check within three days of hiring you, iirc. But it's not a monumental problem, there is an option in E-verify that says the employer "exercises their legal right" to hire you, i.e. they know you're allowed to work and they think E-verify is wrong.

US citizens and I think LPRs can get an SSN by filing for one at the nearest US consulate or embassy.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Yes. They will mail it to you, so you need a US address. Whether you live there or not is another question.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

You also want to be mailing it somewhere safe, the number you are assigned is yours for life and is one of the most important documents you'll get. You don't want anyone else getting their hands on the card/number.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

But unfortunately it's not a crime if someone else does steal and use it. Funny that...
Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly suspect if you're entering the U.S. when you have a visa, you're using the visa. Or a nice man (or woman) at your arrival airport will want to know why a few seconds after scanning your passport.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
I strongly suspect if you're entering the U.S. when you have a visa, you're using the visa. Or a nice man (or woman) at your arrival airport will want to know why a few seconds after scanning your passport.
No - I've once told the officer I wanted to enter on VWP, even when I had the L1 visa in my passport, and he didn't even blink or ask why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.