DMV

Old May 6th 2009, 6:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DMV

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did they have cars then? Color me surprised.
Color me getting the hell out of the way, judging by their driving habits in the 80s!!
Old May 6th 2009, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This ridiculous but prevalent attitude of Americans to treaties they have signed damages them more than they know.
If not ratified by the US Congress the treaty is about as useful as toilet paper.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If not ratified by the US Congress the treaty is about as useful as toilet paper.

It entered into force 15-X-1981.

Source: http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act....status&cid=41
Old May 7th 2009, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

But this OP isn't applying in Virginia.

#1: 5 years ago
#2: State's Rights
#3: See next quote

And a pulse was optional.
There were numerous companies providing the 'service' of a residential address in Oregon, airfare to Portland, transpo to the DMV & help with forms and transpo back to whatever US state you were calling home at the time.

We had quite the booming industry here in DLs for undocumenteds that didn't even live in the state. Once you've got a DL from one US state, it's fairly easy to turn it in for a new one in the state where you're actually living.
Well my husband got his first driver's license from Oregon (first in the States I should add) and he had to provide his SSN and show his UK driver's license, take the written test and the driver's test (which was as easy as piss I believe was his comment ) Has something changed in the last 5 years?
Old May 7th 2009, 12:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well my husband got his first driver's license from Oregon (first in the States I should add) and he had to provide his SSN and show his UK driver's license, take the written test and the driver's test (which was as easy as piss I believe was his comment ) Has something changed in the last 5 years?
Yes, SSN and proof of legal status were not required til last year. I don't know why they play the game with the UK license, because it doesn't get you any credit with them. DH got his ODL before he got his green card, IIRC.
Anyway, yes, Oregon had a big crackdown to comply with REAL ID.

Hey, was it you talking about coming down for Saturday Market here not long ago? The Market has moved across the street, FYI.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
If I remember correctly, they didn't start requiring driver's licenses in Belguim until the 70s.
wasn't that when they changed which side of the road they drove on?
Old May 7th 2009, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, SSN and proof of legal status were not required til last year. I don't know why they play the game with the UK license, because it doesn't get you any credit with them. DH got his ODL before he got his green card, IIRC.
Anyway, yes, Oregon had a big crackdown to comply with REAL ID.

Hey, was it you talking about coming down for Saturday Market here not long ago? The Market has moved across the street, FYI.
Don't think so.....we were going to come down for Memorial weekend - but what a nightmare that is.....
Old May 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Well, that was comparably painless.

We went to the DPS place. Showed my green card, SS card, proof of insurance for my car, registration receipt for the car to the gal behind the counter. Filled out a bunch of forms, swore that everything was true. Vision test (press head against machine and read the 4th line out loud) Then I was handed a receipt with a number and pointed towards to corner of the room, where a bunch of other applicants was doing their tests.
As soon as it was my turn, I went, clicked OK, entered the number on the receipt, was helpfully shown how to select the correct answer by the computer as the first two tasks were picking my name and date of birth (multi choice).
30 questions and as soon as you picked one, it showed you whether you got it right or not. Super easy, if you have any time behind the wheel whatsoever, you should not fail (70% correct required to pass). I had one wrong (how many days will a teenager's license be suspended on his first DUI. Well wtf do I know. Turns out it's 180 days, not 30), had to guess at one (at least how far away should one park from a fire hydrant. 15 feet, I guessed correctly), remembered the correct answer for one from reading the TX driver's handbook, available online: if your car skids, take foot of gas and steer into the direction of the skid).
The rest was just stupid crap like what does the shape of this sign indicate, how will marijuana affect a driver and stuff. Again, got them all right except one.

Turns out that no appointment was needed for the driving test either, we could do it right away. So we did. First, it was show me your turn signals all around, lets hear the horn...OK. The gal hopped into the passenger seat of my wife's car, I made a production out of laboriously adjusting the mirrors and seat. Off we went. Right in the lot they had a little bay marked with two poles. I always wondered what that was for. Turns out that was their little parallel parking setup. I parallel-parked while she was explaining, and we got done (she explaining, me parking) at the same time. OK, now please leave the parking lot. Again, made a show out of looking over my shoulder, blinking and using the mirror when leaving that bay. Scribble scribble. Before we got anywhere near the exit of the parking lot, she asked to stop right here. I --gently!-- stopped right there, looking at her expectantly. Oh...now she wanted me to back up in a straight line. 'k. Usually I'd do that using the center and wing mirrors, but I know for a fact (TX DL handbook again) that they want you to keep one hand on the wheel and turn around looking out of your rear window. Did that.
Off we went first on the loop (state highway going around town) with some mandatory merging at your own judgment. Check shoulder, mirror, blinkity blink, move over. Scribble scribble. Then through some neighborhoods. Across some intersections with stop signs, equally ranked roads without signs, and yield signs. Then we came upon a scene that just stank of a setup, seriously! A freaking SOCCER ball in my lane, two kids sitting on the curb and a couple of adults on the porch. I couldn't stop myself from asking the tester if they're paying those people. She laughed. Looked like right out of the instruction book. Gently I decelerated to walking speed, keeping one eye on oncoming traffic, one on the ball and one on the kids as I moseyed past them and around the ball. That was pretty much it. Went back the same roads to the DPS building, was told to park the car pretty much anywhere (another trap! a Ford SUV was parked in the middle of the parking lot with a bunch of urban yoof loitering about. Sure, let me just honk at them and gesticulate wildly!) Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it did look like another setup. Gently I moseyed past these too, parked the car between the lines and well, that was that. "VERY GOOD! You have passed the test. , please go inside to the counter, and they'll give you your license!" Thumb prints, photo, signature...
So now I've got a temporary paper printout of my license. The printout is good for 60 days, and the license itself valid until my birthday in 2015 (which is longer than my conditional green card is valid). Yay!

Oh, and never once was I even asked about my German license; just about other licenses from other states or provinces. Which I didn't have.

Last edited by Kar98; May 7th 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations

That was a pretty extensive test from my experience and other reports.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:49 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

In CT I have to do the test because I am from Britian, we have French friends who are coming over soon and they don't need to do it, dispite being in UK for 10 years and you know how good french drivers are?? its mainly the left/right thing but as I lived in Kent and did my shopping in France, (love you channel tunnel!) I haven't had a problem over here, in fact it so much easily in a car designed to drive on that side of the road, that said! I agree us left hand driver should be tested, but!!!!!!!!!!! why oh why! do they change the rules without making it clear to people applying?
Disgruntled of East Lyme.
Old May 10th 2009, 12:09 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
wasn't that when they changed which side of the road they drove on?
Let me just say diplomatically, that the 4 years I lived right beside the Belgian border, did not convince me that them having to have licenses changed anything.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

coops9999, I'd try another DMV.

I needed to take my son to get his Learners permit 9 months ago and we went to a small DMV office because I was told the lines were shorter, it was a big mistake. He had to take two forms of government issued documents and we took four, his British passport, his SSN card, his Green Card and his DMV issued picture ID that he had been issued 12 months prior. They would not accept them because one of them did not include his middle initial, so they tried to tell me that he wasn't the same person as indicated on his cards. Bearing in mind his passport, his Green Card and his DMV issued ID card all had his picture on them. So after 10 mins of arguing I left in disgust and we drove to another DMV who accepted the forms of ID we had with no question, and after passing the applicable tests issued him with his Learners Permit. So if I were you I would try a bigger DMV office.