Reload this Page >

Discharged Bankrupt - UK to USA

Discharged Bankrupt - UK to USA

Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

craig420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Discharged Bankrupt - UK to USA

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some up to date information about credit files and bankruptcy, I'm hoping some of you may be able to provide some answers.

I've recently been discharged from bankruptcy here in the UK and very much looking forward to starting my life over.

I may have the option soon to move from the UK to California to work and was wondering how my poor credit rating and recent bankruptcy will effect me in the USA, if at all?

I have read in the past that if you move from the UK to USA you pretty much start with no credit whatsoever, your credit rating doesn't follow from the UK. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

My main concern is getting things like health insurance and getting somewhere to rent... I need to know if my poor credit history here will cause me problems in the US.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discharged Bankrupt - UK to USA

Credit histories don't travel with you from the UK to the US, except under very limited circumstances, which are entirely controlled by the immigrant. Most people find this frustrating as it disadvantages them when they arrive in the US, but for you it will be a plus, with nobody knowing about your UK credit history, though it will limit your ability to take advantage of a few things to "get you started" in the US (such as getting Amex to issue a US card based on your UK Amex card history).

Be aware though, that credit application forms will probably ask you if you have ever declared bankruptcy.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware though, that credit application forms will probably ask you if you have ever declared bankruptcy.
Out of curiosity, since failing to declare a bankruptcy that they cannot see anyway is hardly perjury, what would the penalty be for failing to declare? Closure of the account I guess.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Out of curiosity, since failing to declare a bankruptcy that they cannot see anyway is hardly perjury, what would the penalty be for failing to declare? Closure of the account I guess.
It would be a fraudulent application, opening the door to criminal prosecution, imprisonment and/or substantial punitive fines, and potentially deportation if you're not a citizen.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Given the IRS currently has extra territorial powers to pressure foreign banks to turn over details of bank accounts held overseas by UCSs and PRs, how confident are you of the "how would they ever find out" defense?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Given the IRS currently has extra territorial powers to pressure foreign banks to turn over details of bank accounts held overseas by UCSs and PRs, how confident are you of the "how would they ever find out" defense?
I'm not confident at all, but then I'm not a discharged bankrupt.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, you're effectively starting over. I had similar and had no issues with credit here, in fact it allowed me to start afresh with a clean slate. Do you still have an income payment agreement in place? That will need to continue if so, and presumably you will need to notify the person dealing with your case of the move (I can't remember if that's still the case after you're discharged).