Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Different taxes for Pensions v IRAs?

Different taxes for Pensions v IRAs?

Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different taxes for Pensions v IRAs?

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
They are not. For plain vanilla 401k/IRAs you pay tax upon the distributions.
For ROTH versions the tax is paid up front and there is no tax payable upon distribution.
Exactly. From an IRS tax viewpoint there is no difference at all and distributions from either a 401k or IRA are reported by the trustee to the IRS on a 1099-R.

A distribution from a Roth IRA is also reported using a 1099-R but the distribution code indicates there is no tax due. The distribution is still reported on the 1040, line 15, along with distributions from a 401k and regular IRA. Line 15a holds the total of all IRA, 401k, 4013b, Roth etc distributions and line 15b shows the amount that is taxable.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
That depends. Both my wife and I have 401ks that include institutional index funds that wouldn't be available in an IRA. They also include a few pretty crappy high-fee active funds, but then that would also be true in an IRA.

These days, most large and many medium-sized US companies have better 401k options than you'd get with an IRA, but the combination of lack of knowledge and lack of purchasing power in smaller companies makes them vulnerable to additional fees and poor fund choices.
There are thousands of mutual funds on the open market, which an IRA like with vanguard allows you to buy into.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
There are thousands of mutual funds on the open market, which an IRA like with vanguard allows you to buy into.
I do realise that, yes. But I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Many 401ks for big companies include institutional grade funds. These have fees (the expense ratio) lower than the equivalent funds available to individual investors, such as in an IRA.

It makes no sense for someone whose 401k includes these funds to rollover into an IRA.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I do realise that, yes. But I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. Many 401ks for big companies include institutional grade funds. These have fees (the expense ratio) lower than the equivalent funds available to individual investors, such as in an IRA.

It makes no sense for someone whose 401k includes these funds to rollover into an IRA.
I do understand. There are very likely better performing mutual funds than what your index fund is getting.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand. There are very likely better performing mutual funds than what your index fund is getting.
Of course, there almost always are. Though I bet you can't guarantee which mutual funds will out-perform their indexes, except with hindsight.

If you can, some major banks and brokerages would like to pay you a lot of money.

There are a few funds that have such a consistently good history that they have a better chance than most - Vanguard's Wellington and Primecap come to mind - but even then none can be guaranteed.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I use a 1040, you mentioned a 1040nr. Both have two successive lines; IRA distributions, Pensions and annuities. Both lines have an a and b; full amount & taxable amount. The taxable amount of both lines is totalled up, with other forms of income, to reach your total income. So the taxable amount of both is treated the same.
It appears they are different on the 1040nr form.
I don't have the form to hand, but from what I can remember, the IRA part is on the main section, first page, whilst the Pensions are in the NEC section, which is treated differently.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course, there almost always are. Though I bet you can't guarantee which mutual funds will out-perform their indexes, except with hindsight.

If you can, some major banks and brokerages would like to pay you a lot of money.

There are a few funds that have such a consistently good history that they have a better chance than most - Vanguard's Wellington and Primecap come to mind - but even then none can be guaranteed.
But an index fund isn't guaranteed either. So this time I'm not sure what your point is.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 12:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formfill1
It appears they are different on the 1040nr form.
I don't have the form to hand, but from what I can remember, the IRA part is on the main section, first page, whilst the Pensions are in the NEC section, which is treated differently.
Yes, pensions are listed in the NEC Schedule. BUT they are also listed in the income section of the first page of the 1040nr, lines 8-23, this section (where you list out all your income) being virtually identical to the equivalent section of the IRS form 1040. So pension distribution and IRA distribution is treated the same.

It's easy to pull up PDFs of both the 1040 and the 1040nr. I'd advise you to do this, and compare the lines 8-23 on both. Essentially, they're the same.

I believe the NEC is a subset of income, non-US income? It would make sense that IRA distribution is not listed there, since there's no such thing as non-US IRA distribution... I'm not sure, because I've never used the 1040nr.

Last edited by robin1234; Apr 14th 2018 at 12:39 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

But an index fund isn't guaranteed either. So this time I'm not sure what your point is.
This seems a little silly. How can someone guarantee that an index fund will outperform itself?

You stated that, "There are very likely better performing mutual funds than what your index fund is getting." This is obviously true, given there are hundreds of actively manged mutual funds for each sector of the equity markets. But it's a useless fact, unless you can identify those mutual funds ahead of time.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

This seems a little silly. How can someone guarantee that an index fund will outperform itself?

You stated that, "There are very likely better performing mutual funds than what your index fund is getting." This is obviously true, given there are hundreds of actively manged mutual funds for each sector of the equity markets. But it's a useless fact, unless you can identify those mutual funds ahead of time.
And it isn't hard to research mutual funds with a good track record of out performing whatever index you're testing against (usually S and P 500). It gives a good insight into how it has been managed and how it's likely to continue. We're talking 30 year averages.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

He said "institutional" not "index":

"Mutual funds offer institutional shares as one class of their mutual funds. Institutional shares have their own fee structure and investing requirements. Institutional shares usually offer the lowest expense ratios of all a mutual fund's share classes. The minimum investment is usually around $200,000."

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i...onalshares.asp

My (admittedly very large) employer's 401(k) plan allows me to invest in anything that its IRA holders can invest, which is a heck of a lot of mutual funds, as well as individual shares and ETFs. Many - but by no means all - of those mutual funds offer an institutional class of share with lower fees. So, depending on ones investment mix, there may be a reason not to roll over into an IRA.

Otoh, I did once have a 401(k) with a small startup that subsequently went bankrupt. It was a complete pain in the ass getting hold of my money subsequent to that, and during that period my investments were locked.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 15th 2018 at 6:41 am.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
He said "institutional" not "index":

"Mutual funds offer institutional shares as one class of their mutual funds. Institutional shares have their own fee structure and investing requirements. Institutional shares usually offer the lowest expense ratios of all a mutual fund's share classes. The minimum investment is usually around $200,000."

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i...onalshares.asp

My (admittedly very large) employer's 401(k) plan allows me to invest in anything that its IRA holders can invest, which is a heck of a lot of mutual funds, as well as individual shares and ETFs. Many - but by no means all - of those mutual funds offer an institutional class of share with lower fees. So, depending on ones investment mix, there may be a reason not to roll over into an IRA.

Otoh, I did once have a 401(k) with a small startup that subsequently went bankrupt. It was a complete pain in the ass getting hold of my money subsequent to that, and during that period my investments were locked.
Ok, looks like I was getting mixed up with institutional and index.

Regardless, I think you hit the nail on the head with a good reason to get out of a 401k and into an IRA - Having the power in your court and not HR.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, looks like I was getting mixed up with institutional and index.

Regardless, I think you hit the nail on the head with a good reason to get out of a 401k and into an IRA - Having the power in your court and not HR.
No HR involved with a bankrupt company - that one was all on Merrill Lynch trying to get fee dollars through the company's bankruptcy hearing. But that experience certainly made me immediately roll over the 401(k) of the next startups I worked for.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, pensions are listed in the NEC Schedule. BUT they are also listed in the income section of the first page of the 1040nr, lines 8-23, this section (where you list out all your income) being virtually identical to the equivalent section of the IRS form 1040. So pension distribution and IRA distribution is treated the same
My apologies for the delay in replying.

I have now had the opportunity to look at the 1040nr form again.

If you use the Pensions line on the first page of 1040nr, then it would appear that IRAs and Pensions were treated the same.

However, I assumed that a Green Card holder who returned home, would be using the NEC section. For this section, Pensions are taxed at a flat rate.
There is also the disadvantage of not being able to use a Personal Allowance/Deductions to reduce your tax.