Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:39 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Fair enough - you've just given me a lesson on the difference in the cultures, and I thank you for that.
I've been here long enough to know that that translates from US English into UK English as : Oh my God!!!!! You British are like, so..........like.....rude.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Women hairstyles are just about post war ....
Thats if they actually bother to do the back of their heads. I've seen so many that flick out the sides, comb up the quiff and the back looks like they just got out of bed.

Admittedly, these particular women are to be found living in dwellings with wheels.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Thats if they actually bother to do the back of their heads. I've seen so many that flick out the sides, comb up the quiff and the back looks like they just got out of bed.

Admittedly, these particular women are to be found living in dwellings with wheels.
You've not been to Jersey then?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here long enough to know that that translates from US English into UK English as : Oh my God!!!!! You British are like, so..........like.....rude.
Not at all. Admittedly, that was my reaction when I read your first post, but your second put it into perspective. (And I asked you the question afterall, not the other way around.)

America's definitely not perfect, no place is, and much of what you said I agree with. Your directness just surprised me. Hey - I just learned my father's name is slang for something that can be flushed down a toilet. Who knew?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I guess if you compare it to the UK the warranties are proportional to the average lifespan of American appliances...
So why is the same Sony camcorder sold in the UK have a 12 months unlimited warranty ..and the same item here is a 6 month limited warranty ...

Easy ..No sales of Goods Act ...
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
So why is the same Sony camcorder sold in the UK have a 12 months unlimited warranty ..and the same item here is a 6 month limited warranty ...

Get over it Ray and move on....lol
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Get over it Ray and move on....lol
NEVER .... Wait until to the lowest of the low ...
Realtors
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:02 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Sure. And no John Lewis extra free extended warranty either.

But I was thinking more of a comparison between my washing-machine back in the UK vs the Kenmore crap which packed in after a little over 5 years...
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:05 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sure. And no John Lewis extra free extended warranty either.

But I was thinking more of a comparison between my washing-machine back in the UK vs the Kenmore crap which packed in after a little over 5 years...
My GE has been going for 14 years with no problem ....
of course its doomed now ..
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your project!!

As a non-working spouse I will comment on domestic differences for women as I see them.

British women generally like to meet up for casual chats over tea or alcohol, which is not considered to be very harmful, rather than set formal dates. We seem to put less emphasis on white teeth, thick hair and perfect skin than our US counterparts. Going topless is not considered outrageous. We tend to wisecrack more and be more sarcastic. Far fewer people are regular churchgoers. We are more fatalistic about sucess or failure. We are used to a benign welfare state, and state-funded TV and radio which can afford to offend big business and therefore be rather more edgy than most of the fare here.

As has been mentioned, the size of the country means more space than we are used to and warmer weather in much of the country can encourage a more outdoor lifestyle. Eating out is much better here (apart from Indian food) but we don't like the sweet bread chocolate baked beans
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:14 am
Account Closed

There is only one hairstyle here - long and straight.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
My GE has been going for 14 years with no problem ....
of course its doomed now ..
Whats going on with your post's Ray.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:16 am
Ray

Originally Posted by britvic
Whats going on with your post's Ray.
No idea ... It wont delete either
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
No idea ... It wont delete either
The Curse of the Washing Machine...

(cue damatic chipmunk)
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:18 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Good luck with your project!!

As a non-working spouse I will comment on domestic differences for women as I see them.

British women generally like to meet up for casual chats over tea or alcohol, which is not considered to be very harmful,

We especially liked the pubs with the kids play area, two pound for an hour and a half was a bloody bargain.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.