Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Democrats prefer Al Gore!

Democrats prefer Al Gore!

Old Oct 13th 2007, 4:18 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Democrats prefer Al Gore!

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I don't like people who scream unintelligible things at me, besides you could lose money following his picks. Mind you, compared to Kudlow......
I've done alright by him to be honest..........

if you read his books too, it all comes together.

The best person I listen too for financial advice has been Dave Ramsey.... The USA would be in far better shape if we all took his advice.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 6:38 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I believe Kyoto was entered into when Gore was VP (1997)and reneged on by Bush when he took office in 2001.

So what's this about doing something?
That's not what happened at all.

Presidents can't sign international treaties in the US, only the Senate can. In an exploratory vote in 1997, the Senate shot the Kyoto treaty down by a unanimous 95-0 vote. Gore then signed the treaty, but it was purely a symbolic gesture as he had no power to ratify it. He then indicated that the Clinton administration would not seek ratification in the Senate until it was signed by all developed nations:
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/12/11/kyoto/

If anything Bush has simply carried on the Clinton approach of simply not asking the Senate to ratify it.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:12 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I've done alright by him to be honest..........

if you read his books too, it all comes together.

The best person I listen too for financial advice has been Dave Ramsey.... The USA would be in far better shape if we all took his advice.
Good for you. I don't know Ramsey. Just looked at his site, the stations here are all AM.

When I was working, I didn't have time to do all the research I wanted so I bought a couple of the advisory services from Motley Fool, let them do the drudge work, then researched their lists and picked those I thought best.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 9:11 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Presidents can't sign international treaties in the US, only the Senate can. In an exploratory vote in 1997, the Senate shot the Kyoto treaty down by a unanimous 95-0 vote. Gore then signed the treaty, but it was purely a symbolic gesture as he had no power to ratify it. He then indicated that the Clinton administration would not seek ratification in the Senate until it was signed by all developed nations:

If anything Bush has simply carried on the Clinton approach of simply not asking the Senate to ratify it.
Oops - that rather shoots a few holes in some arguments.
Pride before a fall and all that....
Old Oct 13th 2007, 10:09 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I dislike his lack of action in office, and then his attempts to rectify it by jumping on the bandwagon years too late.
What difference you think the party he was a member of makes in beyond me.
I would attack his actions either way.
Exactly which Vice Presidential powers could he have used to take action while in office? As an elected official his very job was to represent the will of the people. At that point in history there was little or no interest in the environment. Would you suggest that a president or vice president should work toward changing the will of their constituency? He's always spoken on behalf of the environment and has been ridiculed and vilified for it. The only people that have ever effectively changed the will or raised the consciousness of the population in this country have been activists. Activists are the only ones with the freedom to speak out in such a way to change the will of the people. Once the will of the people is set then and only then can politicians do anything about implementing change. So, by withdrawing from political life and becoming and activist he has done the most he possibly could for the cause that he cares about.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 10:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Exactly which Vice Presidential powers could he have used to take action while in office? As an elected official his very job was to represent the will of the people. At that point in history there was little or no interest in the environment. Would you suggest that a president or vice president should work toward changing the will of their constituency? He's always spoken on behalf of the environment and has been ridiculed and vilified for it. The only people that have ever effectively changed the will or raised the consciousness of the population in this country have been activists. Activists are the only ones with the freedom to speak out in such a way to change the will of the people. Once the will of the people is set then and only then can politicians do anything about implementing change. So, by withdrawing from political life and becoming and activist he has done the most he possibly could for the cause that he cares about.
Ok then - just ignore Hiro's post if it makes you feel better
On one hand you will post that Bush went to war in Iraq against the will of the US people, on the other you say that Gore couldn't call people driving Hummers morons as that would be against the will of the people - make up your mind Leslie dear.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 10:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Did we read the same post?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 10:39 pm
WTF?

On one hand you will post that Bush went to war in Iraq against the will of the US people, on the other you say that Gore couldn't call people driving Hummers morons as that would be against the will of the people - make up your mind Leslie dear.
Bush did the unthinkable - something an honest president would have NEVER done. He changed the will of the people by lying to them. That is sick and illegal and he should be in jail for it. Can I make myself any clearer? Bush was definitely NOT doing his job as president when he took us to war - quite the opposite as a matter of fact. I don't see how you could even compare the two.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:17 am
WTF?

Hummers weren't even significantly sold until well after the Clinton administration. You're confusing your own recent experiences with what actually happened during the Clinton administration.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:34 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Hummers weren't even significantly sold until well after the Clinton administration. You're confusing your own recent experiences with what actually happened during the Clinton administration.
Just trying to make a point - didn't realise you take everything posted on here so literally.
The mentality of your average Hummer driver is obviously the kind of thing that any self-proclaimed saviour of the planet would want to challenge I would have thought.
Plenty of worthy targets during the Clinton years I'm sure - feel free to post examples of Al tackling such evil do'ers head-on during his time in office.
If the best that he could manage was to place a meaningless signature on the Kyoto agreement then I think that speaks for itself.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:09 am
WTF?

Just trying to make a point - didn't realise you take everything posted on here so literally.
The mentality of your average Hummer driver is obviously the kind of thing that any self-proclaimed saviour of the planet would want to challenge I would have thought.
Plenty of worthy targets during the Clinton years I'm sure - feel free to post examples of Al tackling such evil do'ers head-on during his time in office.
If the best that he could manage was to place a meaningless signature on the Kyoto agreement then I think that speaks for itself.
My point was to make the point that your point was fallacious.

If you can possibly put your prejudice against Gore aside and indulge me for just a moment ....

Gore published environmental articles well before becoming the VP under Clinton. He was (as now) in the late 80's well known as an environmentalist.

It seems apparent that Gore was the pressure valve behind the (somewhat lackluster) Clinton administration's support of Kyoto. So, as soon as the Senate rejected the treaty - the Clinton administration washed their hands of the whole thing. What else could Gore have possibly done? Effectively Clinton had fulfilled his "promise" to Gore yet managed to come off as not looking like a tree-hugger.

IMO it was experiences like this (as well as being robbed of the 2000 election) that led Gore to leave the political arena and finally become an activist - a position where he could actually make a difference.