Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

degree report from WES, what next?

degree report from WES, what next?

Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Jc1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default degree report from WES, what next?

Hi, I am looking for advice from anyone who has had their certificates assessed by WES. I am in New Jersey. I have had my unofficial online report today and tells me my psychology degree is the equivalent of a Bachelors degree here. I also have a diploma in early years practice which they have not acknowledged (which I was hoping they would tell me what that was equal too as that was my career training previously so I still have no idea where I stand with going back to work in early years). Can anyone help me as to advise what my next move is to go back to work? Do I need to contact colleges to find out how my qualifications stack up and enquire if I need to do further education, or do I apply for jobs and take it from there with employers? I am interested in following a psychology career now (early years filled much needed gap earlier in life). Can anyone tell me what they have done with a psychology degree from the UK here in way of a career? Or is it as simple as yes more education needed??

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: degree report from WES, what next?

Are you now in the USA after having arrived on a K1? Do you have your EAD yet?

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

I am in the USA as a spouse at the moment on an L visa, and so am eligible to work, but have two young children so have been waiting until they have settled before exploring my options. What is the EAD?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

weve been in NJ a year now
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jc1984
I am in the USA as a spouse at the moment on an L visa, and so am eligible to work, but have two young children so have been waiting until they have settled before exploring my options. What is the EAD?
Oops, sorry, was reading about someone else.

If you have an L2 visa, you need an Employment Authorization Document in order to work. File form I-765 to USCIS.

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

ok, I will look into that. Thank you! Do you know what the step after that would be? Do you know if I am going to have to go back to college? or is there no way of knowing until I start applying for work?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you get your degree evaluated, usually you get that done when asked rather than on a whim. Getting a job is no different here than the UK. Start looking, write a resume and apply.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

I did it as I had no idea what my qualifications were worth and this seemed the most official way of doing it. I was told I would need to go back to college in a very casual conversation with a nursery manager, and so wanted to see whether with what I have I could work, and if it was equivalent to what you would have here! As it stands, I don't want to look stupid applying for positions that I have no place doing as I am underqualified, nor do I want to pay to go back to college if there's no need!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:02 pm

I understand your dilemma, but unfortunately no answer as to your qualifications or whether you need more education.

You might want to hold of applying for the EAD until you find out if you need to go back to school. No sense paying the fee for EAD if you're not qualified to work in your field yet. Keep in mind it can take a couple of months to get the EAD in hand, though. .. so if you stumble upon a a job offer, you'll have to wait until you have EAD in hand before beginning work.

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene! My husband is currently in touch with the lawyers who did our visa to find out if I already have the EAD applied for! Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

when you had your qualifications assessed. did you provide transcripts? If you have to go to community college to address any deficiencies, they will ask for your transcripts, not the certificate. If you gave them the transcripts I am surprised they couldn't assess your diploma.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

The transcripts were supplied by the examining bodies directly. It states I have a qualification in early years but gives no equivalency. Is that my best next step then Jjmb? Go to the local college and see if I'm missing any modules?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:06 pm

Thanks Rene! My husband is currently in touch with the lawyers who did our visa to find out if I already have the EAD applied for! Thanks for the help!
You yourself would know, because you would have had to sign the I-765 application and provide some backup documents. I think others on L2 applied for EAD on their own, I don't recall seeing a case where the lawyer applied for it automatically. You also would have had to provide the USCIS fee. The EAD is an optional benefit, so I doubt the lawyers would apply without your permission.

Rene
Old Nov 25th 2014, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Ah ok! I will get into that as soon as I can then. Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 25th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

The transcripts were supplied by the examining bodies directly. It states I have a qualification in early years but gives no equivalency. Is that my best next step then Jjmb? Go to the local college and see if I'm missing any modules?

Yes, that is what I would do. They might require the transcripts to be assessed by an external body of their choice. You will probably have to do a math and English assessment as well, despite your qualifications, seems like that's way here in Texas anyway. You will have to make an appointment with a counselor before you can register in most colleges.

I never actually bothered with other qualifications as I went through all this rigmarole with my kids and they attended US high schools . Had a few friends who applied and they had to do all sort of requisites. Think it might be a Texas thing. On top of that the one qualification I had which I wanted to convert, the college I attended in UK, lost the transcripts! I would never have passed a math test and probably not the English, as grammar is not my strong point, definitely not US grammar rules.

So basically going along to the community college would be first step if you want to see where you lie with your current qualifications. You might be surprised and need nothing (hopefully) Good luck.