Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Debt Management Advice UK Expat in USA (UK Debt).

Debt Management Advice UK Expat in USA (UK Debt).

Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

anythingspossible is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Debt Management Advice UK Expat in USA (UK Debt).

Hi, I've been living in the USA for coming up to 4 years, and have just got married so will be applying for my Green Card. I have had UK debts since 2010, which are now with a collections agency. I haven been paying the minimum payment each month to all of the collection agencies via my UK Bank Account. I want to create something else as this is really stressful dealing with a debt that's not being paid off, but don't have a lump sum to pay them off. The collection agencies were unaware of my move to the USA, and I was thinking of speaking to them and making them aware of my situation, and if we can create an agreement. My concern is will this affect my application for green card and status in USA, also will they take me to court, etc? Does anyone know of a financial debt advisor that could support me in this or have any advice? Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debt Management Advice UK Expat in USA (UK Debt).

This will not affect your AOS application, as the only financial requirement comes from the USC.

Other than that, I've moved your thread to the general USA forum, as its not immigration-related.

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Debt Management Advice UK Expat in USA (UK Debt).

You might want to post on the Forums at the UK money/debt advice website

Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

I wonder if you ought to contact them and say that you will be resident in the US indefinitely and ask them for a final settlement at a much lower sum than you are currently paying; it was probably the case that your debts were sold on to a third party and it would cost them too much to try and chase you through the US legal system I should think. OTOH I could be completely wrong, so do take advice from the experts!
Old Feb 20th 2017, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou Noorah 101, I'm still learning how and where to put threads (New to this

What are AOS and USC?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

AOS - Adjustment of Status (the process of getting your green card)

USC - United States Citizen

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou, I've just joined moneysaving experts.com and I think your advice is sound and I will still look into it
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for clearing up the abbreviations
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:40 pm
Banned

SimonLes is an unknown quantity at this point

It is wise to settle the debt, especially if you ever feel you might move back to the UK as your UK credit rating will be in the toilet. That won't follow you to the US though.
I used to work for one of these 3rd party debt buyers, and settling at a compromise amount is the name of the game. They buy the debt at a fraction of the full value (let's say 10%) so if your original debt was 10k then they just need to get more than 1k to be in profit. BUT they have a cost to collect, and the more they mess around the higher it is and therefore the amount they are willing to settle for is greater.
So a win win is to tell them you are willing to pay but negotiate hard. You are in a very strong position because.....

You are not a UK resident, so they cannot take you to court. They have to server you papers, give you a chance to show up in court to defend yourself. They can't serve you papers (legally) and you can't show up in court. So they have got nothing.

Where I worked, if someone moved out of state, they tended to write off the debt, too much hassle, so they won't follow you to the US courts, no way.

So they can't make you pay, unless you move home. You can choose to pay to do the right thing/cover yourself in case you ever move back, and you will be in a very good position to pay back a tiny amount of the original debt.