Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

day Trip IN New York City,

day Trip IN New York City,

Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: day Trip IN New York City,

Originally Posted by loss
Next week I am Taking a day trip to New york, from Toronto as while a ago I got some dirt cheap megabus tickets, for return $2.50, I leave toronto around 11pm and get to New York about 9am, Leave at around 11pm again,

Insane I know and when I booked I won't even sure if I was going to do it but at $2.50 you can't go wrong.

So advice on what to do to maximise my time,
Things I should forget to do for another time,
is there any service where I could store my shopping for a few hours,
any other general tips
thanks,
Lunch at the 21 Club on W.52nd Street.

A favourite whenever I'm in NYC.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:07 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Lunch at the 21 Club on W.52nd Street.

A favourite whenever I'm in NYC.
If they are in their early 20's and are coming here on a $2.50 bus ticket I'm not sure that they want to spend money on the 21 Club .Entrees alone are $30-$40 a head.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
If they are in their early 20's and are coming here on a $2.50 bus ticket I'm not sure that they want to spend money on the 21 Club .Entrees alone are $30-$40 a head.
Sometimes you've just got to live a little.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The Staen Island Ferry goes back and forth between Staen Island and Manhattan. Not New Jersey.
Actually, since I'm apparently in a pedantic mood today, I'd like to point out that the Staten Island Ferry does actually travel between Manhattan and New Jersey! It leaves Manhattan, travels into New Jersey waters, and finally back into New York waters before arriving at Staten Island.

Also, Liberty Island (where the Statue of Liberty is located) is actually in New Jersey - not New York.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:56 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Actually, since I'm apparently in a pedantic mood today, I'd like to point out that the Staten Island Ferry does actually travel between Manhattan and New Jersey! It leaves Manhattan, travels into New Jersey waters, and finally back into New York waters before arriving at Staten Island.

Also, Liberty Island (where the Statue of Liberty is located) is actually in New Jersey - not New York.
You are right in that sense. I meant the starting and finishing points. !
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You are right in that sense. I meant the starting and finishing points. !
I know
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Macca67
Sometimes you've just got to live a little.
I just think that for first time travelers (and from someone who has also been to the 21 Club as well) that their money would be better spent elsewhere. If I was in my early 20's that's not where I would want to spend the time if I only had a day. I was also concerned money might be an issue.

Also regarding the Met and Natural History museums. The price mentioned for entry is a "suggested donation" price. If you are on a budget and only want to pay a dollar feel free to do so.

Definately check on the customs allowance. You don't want to pay a heavy fee on top of your goods!
Manhattan Mall has a visitors center that gives out a booklet to tourists. You need to prove you are from out of state or out of the country to get the discounts at each store.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

The Met, MOMA and the Gugenheim all have free coatrooms. They accept small bags. You can actually store your stuff in the Met before you pay to go in.