Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

day Trip IN New York City,

day Trip IN New York City,

Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default day Trip IN New York City,

Next week I am Taking a day trip to New york, from Toronto as while a ago I got some dirt cheap megabus tickets, for return $2.50, I leave toronto around 11pm and get to New York about 9am, Leave at around 11pm again,

Insane I know and when I booked I won't even sure if I was going to do it but at $2.50 you can't go wrong.

So advice on what to do to maximise my time,
Things I should forget to do for another time,
is there any service where I could store my shopping for a few hours,
any other general tips
thanks,
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:13 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: day Trip IN New York City,

Originally Posted by loss
Next week I am Taking a day trip to New york, from Toronto as while a ago I got some dirt cheap megabus tickets, for return $2.50, I leave toronto around 11pm and get to New York about 9am, Leave at around 11pm again,

Insane I know and when I booked I won't even sure if I was going to do it but at $2.50 you can't go wrong.

any other general tips
thanks,
It might help us the tiniest little bit if you could say a bit more about yourself. What kinds of things do you like to do? Have you ever been to NYC before? (And if so, what did you do, like, not like etc). Will you have anyone else in tow?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

2 of us in our early 20s never been before.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to get on a tour bus. Plenty of people willing to sell tickets! You'll be knackered when you get there, so having someone just drive you round and point out the sites and the history is a good way to go.

Not quite as insane as your trip, but I did a similar thing from Bangor, ME to NYC many years ago, and the bus ride was the way to go. You can hop on and off.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the financial district if low on time. BUT, if you do go, hop on the Staten Island ferry and go back and forth to NJ. Doesn't cost anything and you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty. Don't bother going to the statue itself... will eat up your day and not much to do when you get there.

As for sites, Empire State building is a solid performer and Times Square is a must.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and no chance on anywhere to store shopping. Since 9/11, security is insane about abandoned bags. I tried dropping off a bag at a hotel that I wasn't check into but was meeting friends there that were. I knew the name and room number and still a no-go. Eventually, the manager said ok, but said to never try it again
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

any other general tips
If going up tall buildings is your thing then go to the top of the Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building: Cheaper, hardly any queues, nicer viewing platform, and the views are just as good.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

any other general tips
thanks,
With Gray Line, you can get a "Hop-On/Hop-Off" Day Ticket. There are several touring options. Just "Google" NYC Gray Line to explore your options.

Not so sure how much shopping you want to do, but, be aware you may run into some problems with Canadian Customs on your return.

As you will only be out of Canada, for less than 24 hours, your alllowance will probably be limited.

Your time frame, will probably not allow you to visit the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island, but, you can view it from Battery Park, or, from a "Circle-Line" Boat Tour.

Jim.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

or, from a "Circle-Line" Boat Tour.
Beat me to it! -- yes, the Circle Line is a great way to get a feel for the city.

There used to be lockers at Grand Central Station (which is also a wonderful place to visit, with great food shops and the Oyster Bar) where you can store bags for a while. Don't know if they're gone in this post 9/11 world.

Or wander up Fifth Avenue, see Rockefeller Center, Saks, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Central Park, then cross East 59th to Bloomingdale's. Or if you're so inclined there's the Museum of Modern Art and The Metropolitan Museum of Art (they've got a great "Guitar Heroes" exhibition on if you like classic instruments).
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
There used to be lockers at Grand Central Station (which is also a wonderful place to visit, with great food shops and the Oyster Bar) where you can store bags for a while. Don't know if they're gone in this post 9/11 world.
Definitely gone from Penn Station (I tried).

I would assume gone from Grand too.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You should have enough time to do the Empire State Building (ESB) and the Statue of Liberty. I've done both and more in 1 day.

You can buy ESB tix online in advance so that you don't have to queue at the ticket window when you get there...although you still have to go through security which can take a long time.

https://ticketing.esbnyc.com/Webstor...nd=LandingPage

A previous poster's suggestion to go up the Rockefeller Center instead is a good one because it's also a great view and will take much less time. Plus you also get a great view of the ESB.

Next get the subway down to Battery Park (Bowling Green or South Ferry stations) to get the Liberty Island Ferry. Access to the statue crown is booked months in advance so you probably can't do that (unless you already have tix). The walk around Liberty Island is fantastic though - great views of Manhattan and the harbour. Ellis Island is very interesting but takes up more time that you may not want to spend there - so you could just stay on the ferry to return to Manhattan instead of getting off at Ellis Island.

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisi...servations.htm

Alternatively you could take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry which goes past Liberty Island. On Staten Island you'd just exit the ferry and immediately reboard for the trip back to Manhattan.

Other ideas are a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and a wander around Times Square.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:07 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You might want to get on a tour bus. Plenty of people willing to sell tickets! You'll be knackered when you get there, so having someone just drive you round and point out the sites and the history is a good way to go.

Not quite as insane as your trip, but I did a similar thing from Bangor, ME to NYC many years ago, and the bus ride was the way to go. You can hop on and off.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the financial district if low on time. BUT, if you do go, hop on the Staten Island ferry and go back and forth to NJ. Doesn't cost anything and you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty. Don't bother going to the statue itself... will eat up your day and not much to do when you get there.

As for sites, Empire State building is a solid performer and Times Square is a must.
The Staen Island Ferry goes back and forth between Staen Island and Manhattan. Not New Jersey.

Last edited by penguinbar; Apr 27th 2011 at 5:08 am. Reason: Staten Island
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:11 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Schwartz Travel Services
(212) 290-2626
357 West 36 Street
New York, NY 10001

A rare find in New York City — a place for the traveler that features:
* Luggage Storage
* Luggage Forwarding to Manhattan
* Lockers (small)
* Coat Check
* Lost & Found
* Tiny Self Storage

Open daily from 8am - 8pm (call for additional hours), no reservations are required. Fees are $6-10 per bag per 24 hour period. Call for special group deals as well as special monthly rates.

Last edited by penguinbar; Apr 27th 2011 at 5:12 am. Reason: It's not well advertised but it's a safe palce and convienent location to store your bags
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:17 am

I would get on one of the hop on-hop off buses. Lots of shops and bargains around 34th st and 59th sts. You might want to look into getting a City pass if you plan on doing several activities. It could save you money.
www.newyorkpass.com.

Go to Times Square, Empire State buliding is better at night than during the day. Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center is nicer.
The Met and natural History are great museums. I live in NYC so feel free to PM me for any more info or any restaurant recommendations or shopping recommendations.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The Staen Island Ferry goes back and forth between Staen Island and Manhattan. Not New Jersey.
Would make sense Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Would make sense Thanks
No problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.