Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cupboard essentials...to take to US from UK

Cupboard essentials...to take to US from UK

Old Oct 25th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cupboard essentials...to take to US from UK

Don't bother taking any UK items, you are moving to the, US so live the US way, if you hang on to the things you are going to miss you will soon get homesick, You are making a big life change so go all the way
Old Oct 25th 2014, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nothing is essential. Brown sauce is nice.
Spot on
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

So here is a weird one, antiperspirant spray. I love the UK Sure. So my poor family have to bring about ten every time they come. The stuff here is greasy and feels wet. I've managed to avoid using it most of my time here.

I'm with Englishmum on the custard. Just asked my sister to bring some over for Christmas. Ribena too. It's about $8 for the tiny bottle here.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:31 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

You can get all this stuff in America, it might mean a trip to the nearest Brit shop at a mark up, but preferable to carting it half way around the world. (Assuming you are not right in the middle of nowhere)
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

If you like TCP to gargle with then bring some. There's nothing like it in the USA.

Though don't ever gargle with it and then go out in public. They don't recognize the smell and get quite alarmed about it.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amie06
Don't bother taking any UK items, you are moving to the, US so live the US way, if you hang on to the things you are going to miss you will soon get homesick, You are making a big life change so go all the way
I don't want to be saying your advice is crap.........but if every immigrant had done that there wouldn't be any curry houses, pho restaurants, tamale stands etc. food is culturally important and someone making bangers and mash with bistro gravy whilst immersed in US culture isn't making any kind of mistake.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:38 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought of a couple more:

Lemsip
Paxo Stuffing

Btw: you may be able to find Christmas crackers in stores such as TJ Maxx/ Marshalls but they are cheaper of course in the UK. Same for Christmas puddings.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:44 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

When the kids were younger, we used to bring Calpol.
Bisto- if it is verboten, someone forgot to tell the supermarkets round our way as most of them seem to carry it in granule form, and with a bit of digging, can normally find the powder somewhere.
We can get pretty much anything we want in either the international aisle, or, a bit further afield, the British store. It may be a bit pricier, but it's not so expensive as to override the hassle of carrying anything heavy/fragile/liquid. I'm in the UK at the moment and might bring back some oxo, club biscuits, and maybe some colemans sauce mixes, but that's about it.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I take sweeteners in my tea and coffee, rather than sugar, but I don't like the granulated stuff here so whenever I visit the UK I stock up on Hermesetas.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amie06
How long have you been there?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:53 pm
British Expat in Texas

Kintsukuroi is an unknown quantity at this point

Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Chocolate is the one thing I truly miss and always have my family bring when they visit. The Cadbury's that you can find in WalMart is not the same. If you want to buy it here you have to find a true import store. Where I live there is not an import store within a reasonable distance so I just have my family bring it.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends where you live.

From HEB, I can buy Green and Blacks chocolate, Bird's custard, several brands of British tea (though I usually get Tazo Awake, which is American), Wilkinson's lemon curd, Lyle's golden syrup, chocolate hobnobs and plenty of other things.

In small town America, ranges are limited, and not just for international goods, but in the major cities where most British expats move to, the better grocery chains usually carry a wide range of international foods.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just thought of a couple more:

Btw: you may be able to find Christmas crackers in stores such as TJ Maxx/ Marshalls but they are cheaper of course in the UK. Same for Christmas puddings.
And great ways to get arrested! Xmas crackers cannot be carried on a plane as they might explode - and Xmas pud was banned for yonks because of BSE
Old Oct 25th 2014, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
And great ways to get arrested! Xmas crackers cannot be carried on a plane as they might explode - and Xmas pud was banned for yonks because of BSE
Old Oct 25th 2014, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the items mentioned can be bought at World Markets (they are in California, don't know if they are nation wide).

The only think I order from the British shop online is Sainsbury's tea bags and Marks and Spencer's Christmas goodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.