Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Record / Bank

Credit Record / Bank

Old May 27th 2015, 1:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Record / Bank

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Think I am going to have to beg the misses to try this route as I got my 2nd credit card decline letter yesterday.

I am so frustrated with this!
A few weeks ago I went to a bank of America and talked to this woman about setting me up with a credit card. The way myself and my misses understood things, was that I was signing up for the most rubbish student credit card there is.
Fair enough I thought, can't do much about it with zero credit history.
But then when the card came through it was just a cash machine/ATM card, it's not even a visa!
There must have been a mistake somewhere I think.

I knew moving to the states would be tough but I didn't realise that the most simplest of things would be so unattainable.
There was obviously some sort of crossed wire, and if it was only an ATM card then they likely didn't even do any sort of credit check or review. It you have a job and income (pay vouchers) you should go back to the bank and have another conversation about getting a credit card.

My first US credit card was with HSBC and it came with a $200 limit, so enough for a weeks groceries and dinner at Applebees. I phoned them and told them that limit was ridiculous - they upped it to $1,000.
Old May 27th 2015, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There was obviously some sort of crossed wire, and if it was only an ATM card then they likely didn't even do any sort of credit check or review. It you have a job and income (pay vouchers) you should go back to the bank and have another conversation about getting a credit card.

My first US credit card was with HSBC and it came with a $200 limit, so enough for a weeks groceries and dinner at Applebees. I phoned them and told them that limit was ridiculous - they upped it to $1,000.
I don't have a job, not allowed yet.
however the girl at the bank, she made out that I was getting a credit card.
worst part is that she said I had a fee to pay, yet I am damned if I know where it is or how to pay it!

Last edited by cheradenine; May 27th 2015 at 6:07 am.
Old May 27th 2015, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I started with a capital one secured card and then applied for a BoA credit card a few months later. They declined me for the regular card, but did offer me a partially secured card- I paid a $200 deposit for a $400 credit limit.
Old May 27th 2015, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

We did this with HSBC (with whom I've been *reasonably* happy so far). We opened an account from the UK in the US and they gave me a credit card with a decent limit on it.

3 years in and this, and two car leases (through International Autosource) have enabled us to build up a reasonable credit score.

Robert
Old May 28th 2015, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

We'll be going the HSBC route simply because I can open the account from the UK (been a customer for over 20 years) and my salary can be paid in straight away. That said, we'll probably open another account once we land and keep savings in one and salary in the other until we buy a house or something equally expensive like, children......
Old May 28th 2015, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

LinzRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

We looking into banks at the moment as well from what I have seen on the various bank websites - citi and hsbc seem the two main options. However they tend to want to meet you over the two calls I had. The might not be ideal as citi is only job London.

We are meeting hsbc on sat, they said as long as held a fair amount in gbp account, should be no issue with getting a usd account and also had credit card in use, however the limit on the credit card would initially be linked to the amount actually held in deposit. Until credit history and deposits were established into usd current account.
Old May 28th 2015, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

Husband should be paid for the first time tomorrow into our HSBC usd account which well then need to transfer into our UK First a Direct account - have got my fingers crossed that it all happens without hitches!

From a credit point of view, will this start building our US credit score even though we aren't there yet?
Old May 28th 2015, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Your US credit profile is based on your SSN, so if you don't have an SSN yet then it's unlikely it will get reported. That said, I've added my husband as a second user on a couple of my cards, and all i gave them was his name (not even a DOB or address) and it still shows up on his credit profile.
Old May 28th 2015, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Your US credit profile is based on your SSN, so if you don't have an SSN yet then it's unlikely it will get reported. That said, I've added my husband as a second user on a couple of my cards, and all i gave them was his name (not even a DOB or address) and it still shows up on his credit profile.

With the exception of my husband's, which is the one really needed, we've all now got our SSNs. He's having to jump through hoops through the Benefits office at the Embassy as for some reason his wasn't assigned when our visas were endorsed. I take it that he'll start building credit history as soon as he gets it as he's now working remotely for his US employer?
Old May 28th 2015, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

knowledgeboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got to say that International AutoSource have proved invaluable. Not only did I get the vehicle I wanted, I got auto insurance at half the price of main insurer quotes. Crucially, in relation to the OP question, I received an Advancial Visa CC through one of their affiliate programmes within three weeks of arriving. $5k limit
Old May 28th 2015, 9:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springy6
.... I take it that he'll start building credit history as soon as he gets it as he's now working remotely for his US employer?
He'll only start building credit history when he has reportable activity i.e. loan repayments in the US. Merely having an SSN does no good with respect to building credit history.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Went back to Bank of America today to try and find out what had happened with the credit card I had applied for.
Well, turns out the secured credit card I had asked for had not been processed. I did manage to get the application sorted today however and we set me up as an authorised user on my wife's credit account.
The guy that helped us said that piggybacking off someone's credit like this helps but not as much as working your own way up with your own card.

Hopefully that's sorted now.
Old May 30th 2015, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Went back to Bank of America today to try and find out what had happened with the credit card I had applied for.
Well, turns out the secured credit card I had asked for had not been processed. I did manage to get the application sorted today however and we set me up as an authorised user on my wife's credit account.
The guy that helped us said that piggybacking off someone's credit like this helps but not as much as working your own way up with your own card.

Hopefully that's sorted now.
But piggybacking helps you to get your own card to work your way up.
Old May 30th 2015, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amie06
But piggybacking helps you to get your own card to work your way up.
Indeed
Didn't get a call from the bank today so I suspect I have been turned down again for my own credit card.

So frustrating! >
Old May 30th 2015, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed
Didn't get a call from the bank today so I suspect I have been turned down again for my own credit card.

So frustrating! >
When i arrived in the US i opened a bank account here in 'bama, then applied for secured CC with them. Got refused by my OWN bank for lack of credit history, WTF, they already knew that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.