Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

couple of questions

couple of questions

Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

knackerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default couple of questions

my wife is filing the I130 for my visa this week and we have our evidence ready. I know the whole process takes 6 months but I do have a couple of questions in the mean time.

1. what is the cheapest way to ship valuables over to the united states? We are not taking any furniture or appliances?
2. what does the medical consist of? are they really strict about who they grant the visa to. I am healthy but the blood pressure may be a bit of concern on the day. Plus I am also 2 stone overweight but plan on losing it before going over.
3. with the process taking 6 months do they expect you to leave the UK immediately or will they give you the chance to wrap up a few things in the UK?
4. Most importantly is there a service that you can use besides a solicitor that can check your application for you to make sure we have done this correctly? Solicitors are quite costly so would prefer not to go down that route?

and for the final question, is it straight forward living in the US or are there quite a few adjustments? I have been to the US with the wife for 3 months before and loved it and have had no problems. Its just the health care we are most concerned about. Also what is it like to work in the United States?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: couple of questions

1. I suggest you ask that question in the general US forum as it isn't a visa/immigration question.

2. The medical is mostly about communicable diseases and whether you are a risk to people in the US through drug usage or mental illness. A little extra weight and high blood pressure won't be much of an issue.

3. You get six months from the date of your medical to enter the US on your visa.

4. British Expats should be able to provide all the support you will need.

Your last questions are entirely personal, and again would be best asked over in the general US forum as they don't related to visas and immigration.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
1. I suggest you ask that question in the general US forum as it isn't a visa/immigration question.

2. The medical is mostly about communicable diseases and whether you are a risk to people in the US through drug usage or mental illness. A little extra weight and high blood pressure won't be much of an issue.

3. You get six months from the date of your medical to enter the US on your visa.

4. British Expats should be able to provide all the support you will need.

Thank you for your response Is there any medical evidence that you would need to provide to show them that you are not a risk? I know you will need your vaccinations etc.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knackerr
Thank you for your response. .....
You're welcome.
... Is there any medical evidence that you would need to provide to show them that you are not a risk? I know you will need your vaccinations etc.
Not unless you have a history of mental illness. For most people they just show up at the interview. If you have your vaccination record, that's great, but there aren't many vaccinations that adults from the UK are expected to have anyway.

BTW I added to my post #2 above.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're welcome.
Not unless you have a history of mental illness. For most people they just show up at the interview. If you have your vaccination record, that's great, but there aren't many vaccinations that adults from the UK are expected to have anyway.

BTW I added to my post #2 above.
Just saw that with regards to the medical can they get access to your entire medical history? I have suffered with depression in the last year but I am over that now. But I was never a risk to anyone.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:52 pm

Just saw that with regards to the medical can they get access to your entire medical history? I have suffered with depression in the last year but I am over that now. But I was never a risk to anyone.
They can't access your medical history other than the extent to which you provide it to them.

Because of your depression you will need a letter from your doctor stating that "you are not a danger to yourself or others, and are unlikely to be so in future."

If you have had depression within the past year, getting such a letter might be a challenge, depending on how severe your condition was.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Knackerr,

I recently started a thread about concerns re. mental health issues causing problems for me at the medical as, like you, I have experienced depression. There were some extremely helpful, reassuring, knowledgable responses, which it might benefit you to read: http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...ug-use-894242/

I chose to get copies of my full medical records, along with my vaccination history, to avoid any delays later if Knightsbridge ask for more information. It's my understanding that they cannot access your entire history without your permission, but may well ask for more details on it. It's not a necessary step, but it might behove you to do the same, if only for your own peace of mind. Mine cost £50 from my GP and took a couple of weeks to be ready.

It is strongly recommended that you obtain a letter from your GP to state that you are not a danger to yourself or others, and are unlikely to be so in the future. (<--- Those words are very important!) If possible, I have read it is advisable that this letter also include details of the diagnosis, the dates of consultations, whether or not it requires medication and your current state of mental health. I have my doctor's appointment to request this letter next week - I will be updating the above thread with more information on how that goes, in case it's useful for others.

Good luck!

Edit: cross-posted with Pulaksi and provided identical info. Shame it's not obvious where I get my information, isn't it!

Last edited by KK85; Apr 19th 2017 at 4:01 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The medical questionnaire is found at the bottom of this PDF. Answering yes to a question will likely trigger some dialogue with the doctor.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...cal_letter.pdf
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, re. this:

my wife is filing the I130 for my visa this week and we have our evidence ready. I know the whole process takes 6 months but I do have a couple of questions in the mean time.

3. with the process taking 6 months do they expect you to leave the UK immediately or will they give you the chance to wrap up a few things in the UK?
Are you filing from London? Or is your wife in the USA? You're saying 'the whole process' takes six months, but if your wife is filing the I-130 from the States, it is more likely to be closer to 8-10 months in total. The initial petition (the I-130) might indeed take approx. 6 months (I'm going through this process, and mine has taken 5.5 months and counting so far), but your medical will likely be another handful of months (maybe 1, maybe 3... piece of string debacle) after that, and your move to America most likely not until early 2018.

If your wife is in the UK with you and you're filing from London, it's a different story and the ~6 month average may well apply.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KK85
Also, re. this:

Are you filing from London? Or is your wife in the USA? You're saying 'the whole process' takes six months, but if your wife is filing the I-130 from the States, it is more likely to be closer to 8-10 months in total. The initial petition (the I-130) might indeed take approx. 6 months (I'm going through this process, and mine has taken 5.5 months and counting so far), but your medical will likely be another handful of months (maybe 1, maybe 3... piece of string debacle) after that, and your move to America most likely not until early 2018.

If your wife is in the UK with you and you're filing from London, it's a different story and the ~6 month average may well apply.
Ignore me - have just found previous thread from OP, whose USC wife is in the UK. ~6ish months it is!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Also, re. this:

my wife has indefinite leave to remain status in the UK so we are filing through the London consulate. hopefully it only takes 6 months for the entire process.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Ignore me - have just found previous thread from OP, whose USC wife is in the UK. ~6ish months it is!
Haha just read this!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
The medical questionnaire is found at the bottom of this PDF. Answering yes to a question will likely trigger some dialogue with the doctor.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...cal_letter.pdf
I thought their checks with the GP where usually automatic. I know they do give that questionnaire but how do they follow up and believe your answers?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

1. what is the cheapest way to ship valuables over to the united states? We are not taking any furniture or appliances?
2. what does the medical consist of? are they really strict about who they grant the visa to. I am healthy but the blood pressure may be a bit of concern on the day. Plus I am also 2 stone overweight but plan on losing it before going over.
4. Most importantly is there a service that you can use besides a solicitor that can check your application for you to make sure we have done this correctly? Solicitors are quite costly so would prefer not to go down that route?

and for the final question, is it straight forward living in the US or are there quite a few adjustments? I have been to the US with the wife for 3 months before and loved it and have had no problems. Its just the health care we are most concerned about. Also what is it like to work in the United States?
I have moved your thread over to the main US forum. Please note the Immigration forums are for questions about visa and citizenship.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I thought their checks with the GP where usually automatic. I know they do give that questionnaire but how do they follow up and believe your answers?
They believe you to be honest. As for your fear of suffering white coat syndrome on the day of your medical, note there was a post not long ago with the same 'disease'. He had to go to his medical doctor be tested again and so forth and the results sent to Knightsbridge before his immigration medical was signed off on.

As for the length of time to use the visa, yes, it is six months from the date of the medical. However, if you take the medical a month before your scheduled consulate interview, then the time period is already down by a month. The visa is not issued the same day. It takes up to 10 days to get your passport back via courier with the visa in it so you are down another 2 weeks. So keep an eye on the time.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 19th 2017 at 5:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.