Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of furnishing a house

Cost of furnishing a house

Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of furnishing a house

Don't forget that sales tax is not included in the prices you see - 6.25% state tax I believe plus potential local taxes too.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Don't know if its helpful as a reference point, but I (or at least my employer :-) )was charged £3300 for a 20' container in 2003. That was a full pack/unpack door to door service at both ends, moving from Manchester to San Francisco.

The entire contents (excl appliances) of a rather packed 2 bed semi-detached house only filled the container to about 2/3 full.

If you buy new out in the US what will you do with your "stuff" in the UK? Do you need to factor in cost of storage here?
That's good.

The lowest quote for us coming back from LA was $8,000 for a 20 ft container which was packed solid even without beds and sofas. We paid around £2,500 for a shared container going out in 2005.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Don't forget that sales tax is not included in the prices you see - 6.25% state tax I believe plus potential local taxes too.
Good point.

I still wait at the till each time to see what the price is going to be, feeling of 'woo it's the same as the label'
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

You can plan for all the obvious big things but it's all those little things that add up. Power extension cords, lamps (if no overhead lights), vacuum cleaner, even basic cleaning stuff like fluids and rags, anything needed to tide you over until the container arrives, bedding (don't forget UK beds are different sizes to the US so sheets/duvet covers will be a struggle to fit (UK King / US Queen is close enough IMX)), tea towels, towels, bathroom stuff, rubbish bins in most rooms, cooking utensils, clothes hangers... the list just goes on and on and could easily reach the high hundreds of $$$!

Don't forget the Wiki - there's a section on moving and shopping there. Might be some items on those lists that you'll need.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Most American homes have a significant amount of space for built in closets so you don't necessarily need a lot of the furniture that may possibly be required in Europe to get basically setup.

Another place that you may want to look is Ashley Furniture. The furniture looks very nice but poorly built but is also very inexpensive. My guest bedroom is 100% Ashley furniture and I spent less than $1,000 for a dresser with mirror, two side tables, a headboard and baseboard, and two lamps and it looks like a model bedroom. My kitchen nook table and chairs are also Ashley furniture and I believe that was less than $500.

Ashley Furniture - HomeStore

Last edited by Michael; Nov 26th 2014 at 6:25 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Target is good for bits and pieces like lamps, etc. too.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:50 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Most American homes have a significant amount of space for built in closets so you don't necessarily need a lot of the furniture that may possibly be required in Europe to get basically setup.

Another place that you may want to look is Ashley Furniture. The furniture looks very nice but poorly built but is also very inexpensive. My guest bedroom is 100% Ashley furniture and I spent less than $1,000 for a dresser with mirror, two side tables, a headboard and baseboard, and two lamps and it looks like a model bedroom. My kitchen nook table and chairs are also Ashley furniture and I believe that was less than $500.

Ashley Furniture - HomeStore
Thanks for this, it looks pretty good! Especially the Kids bedroom furniture.

Good find!
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:51 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Target is good for bits and pieces like lamps, etc. too.
I have read on here before that Target is not loved by everyone on here, but on the 30 odd times I have been to the US I have always found it to be pretty decent!
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Canveydave
I have read on here before that Target is not loved by everyone on here, but on the 30 odd times I have been to the US I have always found it to be pretty decent!
Target is pretty good for basics. I just got pissed off with them over the compromised credit cards fiasco.

Something to look out for is consignment stores. You could furnish a whole house cheaply like that.

Example: Used Jewelry & Furniture Store | Danville, Los Altos, Calabasas, Newport, San Carlos | The Home Consignment Center
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave
Thanks for this, it looks pretty good! Especially the Kids bedroom furniture.

Good find!
Sometimes there are Ashley Furniture stores in your area and sometimes low end furniture store carry Ashley Furniture. Although there are Ashley Furniture stores in the bay area, I bought mine from a low end furniture store that was two blocks from were I lived.

I also purchased mine when there were sales going on in the store.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 26th 2014 at 9:15 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 6:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving aside the fact that it may well be cheaper for you to ship your own belongings than to buy everything new, if you have kids then don't underestimate the difference it can make to them to have all of their existing stuff with them when they move. Having familiar items around them could help them settle quicker.

HTH.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 11:59 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Something to look out for is consignment stores. You could furnish a whole house cheaply like that.

Example: Used Jewelry & Furniture Store | Danville, Los Altos, Calabasas, Newport, San Carlos | The Home Consignment Center
Consignment stores are good! Also flea markets & church fairs (like jumble sales). And of course estate sales or yard sales, the latter also known as "garage" sales or "tag" sales (depends on the part of the country you live in).

The husband and I have picked up some wonderfully inexpensive items this way, never having to set foot in a real store or pay anything close to retail prices.... You can buy a local newspaper or just go online....

This method does take some time and continuing effort, though. For instance, the husband & I have been looking for almost a year for a refrigerator to replace the one that came with the house we bought. Now that it's winter, the decent estate sales & yard sales are few & far between. So we may have to bite the bullet and go to the after-Christmas sales....
Old Nov 30th 2014, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Consignment stores are good! Also flea markets & church fairs (like jumble sales). And of course estate sales or yard sales, the latter also known as "garage" sales or "tag" sales (depends on the part of the country you live in).

The husband and I have picked up some wonderfully inexpensive items this way, never having to set foot in a real store or pay anything close to retail prices.... You can buy a local newspaper or just go online....

This method does take some time and continuing effort, though. For instance, the husband & I have been looking for almost a year for a refrigerator to replace the one that came with the house we bought. Now that it's winter, the decent estate sales & yard sales are few & far between. So we may have to bite the bullet and go to the after-Christmas sales....
Yard sales are really good if you have a truck for the big stuff. I've bought a lot of smaller things at those. For OP, I'd say buy the basics at IKEA for stuff you need immediately but then look around for the rest in these kinds of places. That consignment store I linked to is fairly new in Calabasas but I could have got so much there if I'd been starting out.