Reload this Page >

Considering San Francisco - looking to hear your experience

Considering San Francisco - looking to hear your experience

Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Kie120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering San Francisco - looking to hear your experience

Hi there,

So I'm quite far along in an interview process for a Design role in SF and was wondering who out there has made the move and what your experiences have been?

A bit more background - I'll be moving over with my wife (to be! she wants to be able to work so I'd best make an honest woman out of her!!) we're both in our mid-30's no children. My salary will be circa 150k and I'll need to commute to Palo Alto 4 days a week. Not massively bothered about running a car, initially at least, so being close to Caltrain(ish) I guess is a requirement?

Obviously aware of the ridiculous rents (I'll be part of the problem I guess) but curious to know how analogous other living expenses are with the UK? Also keen to know what areas people have lived in, how they've found the adjustment, any things you might do differently?

The thing I'm finding most stressful is the thought of managing affairs back in the UK, we have a house which we'll rent out I guess and other smaller debts. I assume we just keep a UK bank account and transfer money? Any pitfalls to avoid

Sorry LOTs of questions... TLR whats it like to move to SF? Failing that tell me it'll all be ok, moving half way across the world is easy right?

Many many thanks in advance!

Kie
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering San Francisco - looking to hear your experience

Originally Posted by Kie120
Hi there,

So I'm quite far along in an interview process for a Design role in SF and was wondering who out there has made the move and what your experiences have been?

A bit more background - I'll be moving over with my wife (to be! she wants to be able to work so I'd best make an honest woman out of her!!) we're both in our mid-30's no children. My salary will be circa 150k and I'll need to commute to Palo Alto 4 days a week. Not massively bothered about running a car, initially at least, so being close to Caltrain(ish) I guess is a requirement?

Obviously aware of the ridiculous rents (I'll be part of the problem I guess) but curious to know how analogous other living expenses are with the UK? Also keen to know what areas people have lived in, how they've found the adjustment, any things you might do differently?

The thing I'm finding most stressful is the thought of managing affairs back in the UK, we have a house which we'll rent out I guess and other smaller debts. I assume we just keep a UK bank account and transfer money? Any pitfalls to avoid

Sorry LOTs of questions... TLR whats it like to move to SF? Failing that tell me it'll all be ok, moving half way across the world is easy right?

Many many thanks in advance!

Kie
Welcome to BE! Folks' first question is going to be, which visa? If you are transferring with your current company your wife (to be -- congratulations!) will be able to get work authorization, otherwise . . . .
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Haha, thanks Nutmegger. I believe it will be a H1-B. It's a new role though, will this limit her wife or not?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, thanks Nutmegger. I believe it will be a H1-B. It's a new role though, will this limit her wife or not?
It will. She will join you on a dependent visa, the H-4, which does not allow her to work. So that needs to be factored into your financial calculations.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

ahh bugger . It's not a deal breaker but I thought as my spouse she would be able to work? Is a H-4 for the full term of the H-1 or will she need to return after a shorter period?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

ahh bugger . It's not a deal breaker but I thought as my spouse she would be able to work? Is a H-4 for the full term of the H-1 or will she need to return after a shorter period?

It is tied to your visa -- she will be in status as long as you are. I understand that the H-4 is known as the visa from hell around here, because of its limitations!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

So I thought I'd read that there was a process to request authorisation that came in 2016? So maybe you hold the H4 as a spouse but can seek permission based on the H1's visa?

Sorry, realise this might be better off in the visas section! But this is a really important thing to clarify, less from a financial point of view but for my partners sanity!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

So I thought I'd read that there was a process to request authorisation that came in 2016? So maybe you hold the H4 as a spouse but can seek permission based on the H1's visa?

Sorry, realise this might be better off in the visas section! But this is a really important thing to clarify, less from a financial point of view but for my partners sanity!

You can search/post on H-4 in the visa section. where folks with more knowledge of the nuances will be able to help you. Don't forget that 2016 was prior to the election . . . so much is in flux these days . . .
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

thanks, will do!

So back on topic! Has anyone made the move?!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Nutmegger is correct - a holder of an H-4 cannot work while in the US for the entire duration of the visa. There is nothing to stop them leaving the US and working at any time, and then returning to the US. Also they cannot work remotely while they are physically in the US. It makes no difference where they are paid, it is only where they are while doing the work that matters.

If your employer files for a green card for you, then a spouse on a trailing H-4 can apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and is allowed to work.

Hypothetically if your wife flouts the law on visas and working she is still liable for income and payroll taxes in the US. Flouting the laws on visas and working might be ill-advised, but risking p裏ing off the IRS would be a major error of judgment!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 12th 2017 at 1:57 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And just to add to the above, presumably you're aware that (as it doesn't sound like the role is cap exempt) the earliest you could start the job would be 1st October 2018? If you're lucky and get selected in the annual 'lottery' anyway. Plenty of time to wrap things up in the UK though I guess, but just thought I'd flag that just in case the company hadn't told you that and you were thinking you could go sooner.

Have a search of the forum for info on SF, there are loads of threads and quite a few forum members that live around there. A search for terms like 'Palo Alto' etc, should bring up loads of relevant threads for some light reading!

Best of luck.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

awesome thanks....no its not cap exempt so I'd be working remotely until that point.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you need to come up in the lottery.

Not sure how you would manage without a vehicle.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

So I was told that so long as they submit of day 1 of fiscal year it "should" be fine? Or is there a realistic possibility of me not getting the visa? Certainly don't want to work remotely beyond the next 12 months!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I was told that so long as they submit of day 1 of fiscal year it "should" be fine? Or is there a realistic possibility of me not getting the visa? Certainly don't want to work remotely beyond the next 12 months!
The latter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.