Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confused about GC and travelling as tourist.

Confused about GC and travelling as tourist.

Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about GC and travelling as tourist.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...reen-card-test
https://hodgen.com/expatriation-and-...ng-green-card/
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...reen-card-test
https://hodgen.com/expatriation-and-...ng-green-card/
https://www.angloinfo.com/blogs/glob...pay-the-price/
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Please can you quote specific examples and any evidence that this is actual problem, not a theoretical one? And I don't mean extracts of the tax code and IRS web site, I mean examples of real people having a real problem?
So two links to the IRS Web site, two kinks to a lawyers' web site, and one link to a blog. .... I'll take the answer to my question, quoted above for your convenience, as a firm "no" then.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

thehawk2525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Daughter................*&^%$%
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

So two links to the IRS Web site, two kinks to a lawyers' web site, and one link to a blog. .... I'll take the answer to my question, quoted above for your convenience, as a firm "no" then.

Mr Pulaski......
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

OK,my daughter has been doing some research and the reason she said for me to apply for a visa was because I was convicted of an harassment charge in 2008.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thehawk2525
OK,my daughter has been doing some research and the reason she said for me to apply for a visa was because I was convicted of an harassment charge in 2008.
That probably makes sense, but you might want to start a new thread in the Immigration and Visas forum to ask about it. If you need any sort of waiver for the crime it can take 6-8 months for the waiver to be granted and the visa issued.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

That probably makes sense, but you might want to start a new thread in the Immigration and Visas forum to ask about it. If you need any sort of waiver for the crime it can take 6-8 months for the waiver to be granted and the visa issued.
Thank you Mr Pulaski.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gad33
I surrendered my GC and applied for ESTA on the same day.
Originally Posted by thehawk2525
Thank you Gad33,
Could you please elaborate?

Were you in the UK or U.S
Did you go to the U.S embassy or did you do it by mail?
Why you surrender,can I ask?
Remember this is my experience.

I had a green card by marriage we then moved to Canada. Every time I drove across the border I was asked about my green card and my status but it was never taken from me even when I said I don't want it any more and I was always allowed in. But the process took way longer than other people crossing the border.

And for anybody who thinks they can get away with variations of the truth they had a record of every crossing and what was said.

I had a flight out of Canada into the US and US immigration is cleared in the Canadian airport. I didn't want to risk missing my flight. So decided I should formally abandon my card/status. I completed the form (I 407 as you have been advised), kept a copy and mailed it and the card to wherever. I then applied for ESTA no problem. No problems at immigration. Never received any acknowledgement that green card had been received.

A year or so later applied for green card again and have recently become a citizen.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gad33
Remember this is my experience.

I had a green card by marriage we then moved to Canada. Every time I drove across the border I was asked about my green card and my status but it was never taken from me even when I said I don't want it any more and I was always allowed in. But the process took way longer than other people crossing the border.

And for anybody who thinks they can get away with variations of the truth they had a record of every crossing and what was said.

I had a flight out of Canada into the US and US immigration is cleared in the Canadian airport. I didn't want to risk missing my flight. So decided I should formally abandon my card/status. I completed the form (I 407 as you have been advised), kept a copy and mailed it and the card to wherever. I then applied for ESTA no problem. No problems at immigration. Never received any acknowledgement that green card had been received.

A year or so later applied for green card again and have recently become a citizen.
Well done Gad.Thank you for the explanation.