Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confused about GC and travelling as tourist.

Confused about GC and travelling as tourist.

Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

thehawk2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused about GC and travelling as tourist.

Thank you Mikelincs,Midatlantic and Mr Pulaski.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thehawk2525
Thank you Rete and Pulaski.
Pulaski,the expiry date on the GC is 2007.
I dont have any intention of permanent residence in the U.S any more.

Read something about the ramifications of GC surrender(perhaps that was for a valid GC) and just wanted to make sure I was good to go in case I triggered something at U.S Immigration on arrival by retaining the expired GC.
There is a current poster who is a Brit married to a USC and they both are living in the UK. She went through the Immediate Relative Visa process at the US Embassy in London and her adjudication was placed on hold because she had a green card previously and never formally surrendered it.

I bring this up because you have children who are US Citizens and they might one day want to return to the US to live and work. What if at time you were to desire to come back to the US to be with them and perhaps some grandchildren and they petitioned for you as an immediate relative? It would be best to officially relinquish the card/status now and get it done and dusted.

Never say never. Life has a way of making chances to your life that you never thought of or wanted.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Never say never. Life has a way of making chances to your life that you never thought of or wanted.

Yes,Ive found that out,I think I will make arrangement to surrender it then.
Thank you Rete.

Last edited by thehawk2525; Sep 8th 2017 at 6:17 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

I surrendered my GC and applied for ESTA on the same day.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Gad33,
Could you please elaborate?

Were you in the UK or U.S
Did you go to the U.S embassy or did you do it by mail?
Why you surrender,can I ask?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Google "I-407 London"
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,Hoping someone has a suggestion.

I lived in the U.S for almost 30 years.
I returned to the UK 10 years ago.
I did not become a U.S citizen(wish I did now)
I am receiving my U.S SS pension and UK state pension.
I am still in possession of my GC
I have 2 kids over the age of 18 who are U.S and UK citizens both living in UK

I would like to visit the U.S for a couple of weeks but was told that I may have to return my GC as I cant travel on the ESTA with a GC even if it is expired(2007)

Will the surrender of my expired CG effect my U.S SS pension etc.
Thanks in advance.
As the green card has never been abandoned you are still a US resident for US tax purposes. Have you been filing your US tax returns & FBARs for the last 10 years? If not, you'll want/need to file at least for the past 5 years to avoid any expatriation tax.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 2:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
As the green card has never been abandoned you are still a US resident for US tax purposes. Have you been filing your US tax returns & FBARs for the last 10 years? If not, you'll want/need to file at least for the past 5 years to avoid any expatriation tax.
Please can you quote specific examples and any evidence that this is actual problem, not a theoretical one? And I don't mean extracts of the tax code and IRS web site, I mean examples of real people having a real problem?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cook_County

Havent filed tax returns....didnt know I had to.

Last edited by thehawk2525; Sep 9th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Havent filed tax returns....didnt know I had to.
I believe that very few people in your circumstances do, and the IRS has bigger fish to fry, so aren't, and indeed don't have the resources to go after every Tom, Dick, and Harry for every notional failure to file a tax return. I would suggest that unless you are a millionaire, with actual taxes owed to the IRS, you have nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe that very few people in your circumstances do, and the IRS has bigger fish to fry, so aren't, and indeed don't have the resources to go after every Tom, Dick, and Harry for every notional failure to file a tax return. I would suggest that unless you are a millionaire, with actual taxes owed to the IRS, you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you Mr Pulaski.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Ive just been told that because I have green card(expired) I should also apply for visa at the same time I make appt to surrender the GC.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:56 pm

Ive just been told that because I have green card(expired) I should also apply for visa at the same time I make appt to surrender the GC.
Told by who? Why? .... If you are otherwise ESTA/VWP eligible there a good-very good chance that the London consulate will reject your visa application.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you that? It's not true.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just been told...
Oh dear god... what moron told you that?

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.