Reload this Page >

Clearance for employment/volunteering

Clearance for employment/volunteering

Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

expatdream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clearance for employment/volunteering

Hello all,

I am due to move to Pennsylvania in two weeks on a K1 visa. Before I get my EAD I would like to do some volunteering work in schools as this is the sector I will eventually be (hopefully) employed.

Of course, this sector requires many security clearance checks and I would like to ask advice as to what checks I can go with (UK DBS clearance) and if I will face a problem getting clearance such as FBI clearance.

Be great if someone had any experience of this.

Thank you
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clearance for employment/volunteering

Make sure the volunteer jobs are exactly that, i.e. no one in that position would ever get paid. You can't "work for free".

I would say it's safe to go ahead with whatever check they want to do... whether you pass or not depends on the check, and whether they require US citizenship or something.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a bit but did not need clearance, it was only mentoring maths once a week.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I am not the sort of person who would be taken on as a free worker.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'safe to go ahead'
I'm not concerned by the checks, I just mean they will have no record of my background to do a check...?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

All you have to do is fill out whatever form they ask you to. The government runs the checks. Governments have ways of looking at whatever records are out there.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Oh I see what you mean.
OK, thank you for the advice