Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Dec 9th 2017, 12:08 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Just so long as you accepy you’re not getting anything back - by the time you might, the uk retirement age will be 100...
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by FatFrank
Completed and mailed our NI38_CF83s back in September, still haven't heard anything back from HMRC. Anyone have an idea how long it should take before you hear back with approval/denial to pay Class 2 from HMRC?
Posted application on 21st Sep. HMRC (direct debit) letter arrived yesterday, it was dated 22nd Nov. The DD letter is showing me paying Class 2 from now on.

So about 2 1/2 months from sending until the first reply.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
Posted application on 21st Sep. HMRC (direct debit) letter arrived yesterday, it was dated 22nd Nov. The DD letter is showing me paying Class 2 from now on.

So about 2 1/2 months from sending until the first reply.
Thanks, that’s a relief. I’ll expect to hear soon then
Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

2nd Letter arrived today, dated 23rd November (their first letter dated 22nd November arrived Dec 8th, this was one day later and arrived one month later)

I now have a table showing how much I would owe for the last 5 years, all at Class 2. However it does not say that they actually will take the money, even though I requested that option and set up a DD on the form.

Should I expect another letter in a month or two?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that’s a relief. I’ll expect to hear soon then
Received our letters, all good and approved! I am not sure how to pay though. I did mark to pay by check, but I didn't really find the website too clear on the specifics of paying to my specific NI account, although it does talk about how to pay from a US account, how to pay from a UK account etc. Gonna have a couple beers and read it again

https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Received our letters, all good and approved! I am not sure how to pay though. I did mark to pay by check, but I didn't really find the website too clear on the specifics of paying to my specific NI account, although it does talk about how to pay from a US account, how to pay from a UK account etc. Gonna have a couple beers and read it again

https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance
We actually had to call HMRC after getting the letter for my wife on how much to pay, to get the payment details, which involved them giving her a long reference number. We then went online to our bank and paid it. The HMRC bank for paying it was on a drop down menu so we didn’t have to enter all their bank details, but you do need that reference number to ensure the money goes to the right account..

It then took about 3 weeks for her record to update. I logged on and checked her NI contribution history each week.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

I had similar experience when paying, I then discovered they applied the payment to a single year. I'm still in the process of getting that corrected.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Teawit86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone shed some light for me - I've paid Class 3 for years since coming to the US in 1986. Some time back was told I'd overpaid and that I had to take a refund, so I thought I was OK. Lo and behold the new 35 year ruling so I now owe 2 years. I called the pensions forecast group - had a forecast sent to me and 2 phone calls confirming I would need to pay 2 years Class 3. I called HMRC to make the payment to be told I had to fill out the I38 and they're may be cheaper option. I sent off the I38 to and have gotten a reply stating I can pay Class 2 but it doen't look like anything's been set up despite sending direct debit info. I don't understand why they'd make the switch to 2 after all these years? I don't know what to believe any more.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teawit86
Can anyone shed some light for me - I've paid Class 3 for years since coming to the US in 1986. Some time back was told I'd overpaid and that I had to take a refund, so I thought I was OK. Lo and behold the new 35 year ruling so I now owe 2 years. I called the pensions forecast group - had a forecast sent to me and 2 phone calls confirming I would need to pay 2 years Class 3. I called HMRC to make the payment to be told I had to fill out the I38 and they're may be cheaper option. I sent off the I38 to and have gotten a reply stating I can pay Class 2 but it doen't look like anything's been set up despite sending direct debit info. I don't understand why they'd make the switch to 2 after all these years? I don't know what to believe any more.
I don't have any experience with class 3. But did the same as you with the I38 form, which resulted in a letter back telling me I could pay back 7 years of class 2 and how much for each year. But like you no payment taken, having provided DD information, nor did the letter provide any details on how to pay, such as a payment slip. I called and was then given a 16 digit references number to use in the payment, which I did. Some time later (months I think) the payment showed up on the online system where you can check years of contributions. That was actually wrong because it was applied all to one year, another call and that was resolved too.

tl;dr - Call them again and ask them HOW you are now suppose to pay for the 2 years of class 2 they have said you can pay.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Yes I have a feeling this is going to be more calls....I'd given them direct debit info and do see when logging into my UK bank HMRC has sent up direct debit info with 0.00 but apart from that I'm in the dark apart from a list of years and payment amounts for Class 2. Added to that when I was refunded money some years back their letter at that time stated I couldn't pay for those same years again being as they were refunded but those same years are listed as 'possible' payment years on their latest letter. I guess I better not select those years, just in case but still have no as to the decision of Class 2 over 3.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have a feeling this is going to be more calls....I'd given them direct debit info and do see when logging into my UK bank HMRC has sent up direct debit info with 0.00 but apart from that I'm in the dark apart from a list of years and payment amounts for Class 2. Added to that when I was refunded money some years back their letter at that time stated I couldn't pay for those same years again being as they were refunded but those same years are listed as 'possible' payment years on their latest letter. I guess I better not select those years, just in case but still have no as to the decision of Class 2 over 3.
This may be the reason
Living and working abroad Class 2 - but only if you worked in the UK immediately before leaving, and you’ve previously lived in the UK for 3 years in a row or paid 3 years’ National Insurance
Living abroad but not working Class 3 - but only if at some point you’ve lived in the UK continuously for 3 years or paid 3 years of contributions

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old Feb 27th 2018, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Today got another letter from HMRC with a direct debit payment schedule - looks like I can pay one year by direct debit but may have to send cheque for a prior year but this shows payment amounts for both Class 2 and 3. It looks hopeful this will get fixed but will mean a phonecall. I'm grateful to this forum otherwise would have had no clue that pension = 35 years.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 27th 2018, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Today got another letter from HMRC with a direct debit payment schedule - looks like I can pay one year by direct debit but may have to send cheque for a prior year but this shows payment amounts for both Class 2 and 3. It looks hopeful this will get fixed but will mean a phonecall. I'm grateful to this forum otherwise would have had no clue that pension = 35 years.

Thanks all!
For back years it took a phone call and one-off payment for us after receiving the letter showing how much, Direct Debit for current year and ongoing.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Today I called HMRC and got some answers - yes I qualify for Class 2, can pay for current tax year by direct debit and can pay the other shortfall year by electronic cheque or can mail in a cheque. Apparently a lot of their letters are made up of stuff that's computer generated which they cannot change hence them listing both Class 2 and Class 3 rates on the one letter. Hopefully, fingers crossed, my 2 shortfall years will soon be paid...and double fingers crossed and some toes that they don't change the rules again.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:29 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with all this is the assumption that there’s some sort of agreement l, contract even, that your contribution will be returned with interest which just might or not be the case now, and is a sitting duck of a target for politics to chop as their needs real and invented for other things grows.

We have seen huge real reductions in the value of monies paid into a state pension and this is I feel going to continue. Calculate the current payments vs the increased pension it obtains now then decide whether you trust politicians over the next x years till you retire where x has increased by a number already recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.