Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 or Class 3 national insurance contributions?

Class 2 or Class 3 national insurance contributions?

Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 or Class 3 national insurance contributions?

35 years now??
Who does that apply to? DOUBLE FART!!

so I've got 7 years paid.
I'm 37.
If I pay in now until I'm 65 I will have 28+7= 35.
phewww omg

Last edited by alfista1; Aug 14th 2013 at 7:29 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
You can catchup the last 6 years, I did.

A few words of warning. If you reach pension age after April 2016, your US born spouses will no longer be entitled to a UK pension; you will now need 35 years of contributions for a full pension.
When I took the decision to make voluntary payments I needed 30 years of contributions and my US wife would also get a UK pension, it was a no brainer. I haven't done the math since, but I've already paid 7 years (6 years catchup and this past year). I'm too far in to it for it not to make financial sense - unless they change the rules again before I retire...
Can you explain this? Do you mean you are only entitled to the single person pension not a couples pension?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:48 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Can you explain this? Do you mean you are only entitled to the single person pension not a couples pension?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22423878
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:50 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
35 years now??
Who does that apply to? DOUBLE FART!!

so I've got 7 years paid.
I'm 37.
If I pay in now until I'm 65 I will have 28+7= 35.
phewww omg

You should be happy at the changes to the state pension. Sure you have to pay 5 more years to get full pension, but the full pension has increased by a greater proportion! So you are paying voluntary NICs you'll be better off.

Contributions going from 30 to 35 years = 16.6% increase
Basic state pension going from £110 to £144 = 30.9% increase

As I pointed out with my 30 years of contributions before the new rules I'd have got a full pension of £110/wk, under the new rules with I'd get 30/35 of the new full pension which is £123/wk so I'd be better off even if I don't pay in another penny.

Last edited by nun; Aug 14th 2013 at 7:52 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You should be happy at the changes to the state pension. Sure you have to pay 5 more years to get full pension, but the full pension has increased by a greater proportion! So you are better off.

Contributions going from 30 to 35 years = 16.6% increase
Basic state pension going from £110 to £144 = 30.9% increase

As I pointed out with my 30 years of contributions before the new rules I'd have got a full pension of £110/wk, under the new rules with I'd get 30/35 of the new full pension which is £123/wk so I'd be better off even if I don't pay in another penny.
well at least I can get it paid off by 65.
(and hopefully the mortgage)
Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

So these changes, if I move to the UK with my US wife, say in 5 years, and I die before my wife, does she not get anything from my lifetime contributions?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:31 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
So these changes, if I move to the UK with my US wife, say in 5 years, and I die before my wife, does she not get anything from my lifetime contributions?
That's correct, under the new scheme everyone will get a pension based on individual contributions. Your wife will presumably get US SS and will get a UK pension based on any NI record she gets in the UK.

The thing that annoys me is that if you are a stay at home mother or carer you can use that to get a year of NI credits, what about the stay at home father. The Tories don't seem to think that the wife might work and the husband stay at home to look after the children.

The other thing is would a UK pension derived from "stay at home and carer credits" where there is no actual income be counted in WEP?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The thing that annoys me is that if you are a stay at home mother or carer you can use that to get a year of NI credits, what about the stay at home father. The Tories don't seem to think that the wife might work and the husband stay at home to look after the children.
Unless it's changed drastically since I was claiming Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP gives annual credits for mums, etc) then it's not gender-specific. Whichever parent wants to get the HRP... mum, dad, doesn't matter... all you have to do is put the Child Benefit claim in that person's name.

Originally Posted by nun
The other thing is would a UK pension derived from "stay at home and carer credits" where there is no actual income be counted in WEP?
Interesting thought - wouldn't it be WEP'd, though, as it would be a non-contributory pension? Again, back in the day when I was claiming, you could only get up to 20 years of credits, I think it was, so it wouldn't be a full pension anyway.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kodokan;10851422]Unless it's changed drastically since I was claiming Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP gives annual credits for mums, etc) then it's not gender-specific. Whichever parent wants to get the HRP... mum, dad, doesn't matter... all you have to do is put the Child Benefit claim in that person's name.

This is correct, but it's called National Insurance Credits now. The credits are accrued if you are claiming Child Benefit for a child up to the age of 12. If one partner is earning £50-60k the amount of Child Benefit tapers off. If one partner earns over £60k there is no longer any entitlement to Child Benefit (you can either cancel the payments, or still receive them but complete a self-assessment to pay them back). Even if you are no longer entitled to Child Benfit payments, the Child Benefit claim form should still be completed to enable National Insurance credits to accrue.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I guess it's to late for me to catch up, last paid a stamp in 1979, will be 65 this coming April, I paid the stamp for 16 years and then was unemployed for 1 year and decided to go walk about, ended up in the USA in 1984 and worked here since then and paid into ss here in the states, I was wondering what I can expect in the way of Pension from the UK?? I have dual US & UK citizenship, I'm not sure how many years you have to work in the USA to get the full pension and have read somewhere they have an agreement with the UK that credits maybe given to the US from the UK for my working years there?? Or should I just apply to the UK and have whatever I am due sent to me here in the USA and pay taxes on it here........does anyone know which is the better legal way to go which will result in the best payout? Any advice would be most helpful.
Thanks.

Last edited by Westham; Aug 16th 2013 at 7:17 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:38 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Westham
Well I guess it's to late for me to catch up, last paid a stamp in 1979, will be 65 this coming April, I paid the stamp for 16 years and then was unemployed for 1 year and decided to go walk about, ended up in the USA in 1984 and worked here since then and paid into ss here in the states, I was wondering what I can expect in the way of Pension from the UK?? I have dual US & UK citizenship, I'm not sure how many years you have to work in the USA to get the full pension and have read somewhere they have an agreement with the UK that credits maybe given to the US from the UK for my working years there?? Or should I just apply to the UK and have whatever I am due sent to me here in the USA and pay taxes on it here........does anyone know which is the better legal way to go which will result in the best payout? Any advice would be most helpful.
Thanks.
UK pension calculator
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension
US SS estimator
http://www.ssa.gov/estimator/
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.
As it stands you'll get 16/30ths of the basic UK state pension. I'm not sure how the pension reforms will apply. I'd get a pension forecast asap. You can also pay Class 2 NI 6 years in arrears so you could get up to 22 years of contributions.

You need 10 years of US FICA payments to qualify for social security. If you have 30 years your SS will not be reduced by WEP for any UK benefit you get from non-SS wages. The reciprocal social security agreement between the US and the UK isn't applicable for you as you qualify for a benefit from both the UK and the US based on your payments.

So I would pay Class 2 NI 6 years in arrears....that will be about $1300.
Get a UK pension forecast.
File a USIndividual-2002 to exempt your UK state pension from UK tax.
Make sure you enter the amount of the UK state pension on line 16a of your 1040.
If you have less than 30 years of FICA payments talk to SSA about WEP from your 16 years of UK NI from earned income.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
As it stands you'll get 16/30ths of the basic UK state pension. I'm not sure how the pension reforms will apply. I'd get a pension forecast asap. You can also pay Class 2 NI 6 years in arrears so you could get up to 22 years of contributions.

You need 10 years of US FICA payments to qualify for social security. If you have 30 years your SS will not be reduced by WEP for any UK benefit you get from non-SS wages. The reciprocal social security agreement between the US and the UK isn't applicable for you as you qualify for a benefit from both the UK and the US based on your payments.

So I would pay Class 2 NI 6 years in arrears....that will be about $1300.
Get a UK pension forecast.
File a USIndividual-2002 to exempt your UK state pension from UK tax.
Make sure you enter the amount of the UK state pension on line 16a of your 1040.
If you have less than 30 years of FICA payments talk to SSA about WEP from your 16 years of UK NI from earned income.
Hi,
Many thanks for your quick response, I will just about qualify for my 30 years us SS by the time I make it to 66 in April 2015. Having said that do you think I should just register for my Uk state pension and defer it for a year?
I also have a small British private retirement plan which I started taking payments on about 18 months ago, it is only 87 GBP per calendar month (20% deducted at source as I do not currently have a income tax return in the Uk, this is paid into a British bank account which is in my name........I know I need to declare this small income to the IRS but my question is will I loose 50% to the wep's program?

Last edited by Westham; Aug 17th 2013 at 7:35 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:09 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Hi,
Many thanks for your quick response, I will just about qualify for my 30 years us SS by the time I make it to 66 in April 2015. Having said that do you think I should just register for my Uk state pension and defer it for a year?
I also have a small British private retirement plan which I started taking payments on about 18 months ago, it is only 87 GBP per calendar month (20% deducted at source as I do not currently have a income tax return in the Uk, this is paid into a British bank account which is in my name........I know I need to declare this small income to the IRS but my question is will I loose 50% to the wep's program?
If you have 30 years of SS you will not get your SS payments reduced by WEP.
If you live in the US you should not be paying UK tax on your UK pension, just US tax. File the USIndividual-2002 to get the UK pension paid to you without any tax being taken out and make a claim with HMRC to have the tax withheld refunded. The next question is how did you deal with the UK private pension on your US taxes before you started taking income and what type of pension is it? If it is invested in funds that you can direct things will be a bit complicated.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, great info.

I sent that form off ages and ages ago, feeling very efficient at covering all bases. But they never bothered to reply to me, and it's been on my to-do list for too long.

I'll get the form filled again and send it off. Hopefully they won't ignore me this time. And I need to know how much I have paid in already, because I have only the roughest idea......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.