Childcare

Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare

Originally Posted by cmerrywe
.... What sort of fees can we expect from an independent facility?
You mean a custom facility? .... For a purpose built/ converted facility I doubt there is much difference between franchise/ branded and "independent", and honestly you should check out the local locations before deciding. We looked at a variety of places for little Miss P, and found good and not-so-good franchises and independent. The price varies according to the local market.

Where I am we found the minimum acceptable places to be around $800/mth, and the top one we found, with truly incredible facilities, such as dedicated art room and a music room with a music teacher on the payroll, to be about $1,000/mth. So the top-"bottom" (minimum we would accept) difference was not that great. This was 3-5 years ago. Other parts of the country are more expensive, I know.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked at this site, although never used it, however I've noticed that everyone I was looking at were local.

Care.com: Child Care, Senior Care, Pet Care and More
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:05 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If she isn't able to work she might not need child care.
This.

If he's on a H1B then she can't work so childcare won't necessarily be urgent. To be fair though OP, even if you're on an L2 it will take a couple of months for you to get your EAD and find a job so childcare still won't be urgent, you'll have time to scout around/find recommendations etc
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

My impression from the OP is that she is a stay at home mum looking for a bit of extra help. She has not mentioned working at all.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:32 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
My impression from the OP is that she is a stay at home mum looking for a bit of extra help. She has not mentioned working at all.
Exactly. So whilst I'm sure "immediate" childcare would be nice it sounds like she might have a chance to do some research once she's there
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Exactly. So whilst I'm sure "immediate" childcare would be nice it sounds like she might have a chance to do some research once she's there
But the visa status is irrelevant
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:58 pm
Hoppity hop...

Originally Posted by rebs
But the visa status is irrelevant
Lol, not if she thought she was going to be working on a H4! Just tryin' to be helpful...
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

cmerrywe is an unknown quantity at this point

Short term, I don't plan to work and will certainly require some help whilst settling in (or at least until the boxes are unpacked!) We've been very fortunate in the UK with a good support network. Longer term, I may return to work (I work here in the UK and run my own business..something I may consider carrying on). I'll re-evaluate, VISA's permitting and once we're settled. My aim is to make our move as stress free as possible.

Good to know what fees to expect - thank you.

I'll look into what VISA we have.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
There's some good advice here. We used a local Montessori pre-school for our kids, though the youngest is going into kindergarten this year.

To be honest though, you are unlikely to be able to work when you first arrive, unless you're a US citizen, so I'd recommend you concentrate on other things right now, for example:
- What visa will your husband be on, and so will you be able to work at all?
- What information does the company immigration attorney need to quickly complete the visa application?
- What relocation package is being offered, and can you negotiate?
- Will the company sponsor your family's green cards? Get this in writing if you want it.
- What salary and benefits are they offering, in particular, what are the details of the company healthcare scheme?
- Will you receive assistance with tax filing?
I agree. I also don't understand why cmerrywe is concentrating on this one issue, which seems to me the least pressing of her concerns. Welcome though
Old Aug 19th 2014, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

care.com

Though if you're looking for a nanny type thing, go to local library, they'll have stuff on their boards and head to local mall, chances are that it'll be a Simon's mall and they do weekly kids events which will have a glut of nannies knocking around with kids and you can ask them the skinny.

What you pay, $25hr with a 4 hour min is the norm down my way if they're doing anything other than sitting in front of the tele making sure the kids don't burn the house down. Taking them somewhere and part day, few days a week can be $1-1.5K a month....more for little people who still shit themselves, less for older kids.

Bigger franchise places might have a waiting list, down my way, there usually isn't a problem, but in Boston, one of the popular ones usually has a 2 year waiting list.

It's all going to depend on which town you live in really.

Anyway, the wiki up top is worth checking out. Loads of info on relocation packages, visa's, credit and the rest to get you started.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, your twins are almost 2yrs old and at this stage you almost want to start looking at the long term... pre-k etc. The socializing skills are coming in to play now and learning and sharing with others besides a sibling.

I found it very difficult to trust nannies when I got here especially when you hear the horror stories. I found a daycare that does everything from babies, pre- K and after school care. They have cameras where you can log in and check in on your child online. In the early years they did 3 days a week and now they go after school. Although we have paid this place a fortune over the years, I am happy that my kids have special bonds with all the staff there and all their friends go there which is nice.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bnet36; Aug 19th 2014 at 1:15 am.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:03 am
Just Joined

cmerrywe is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I probably didn't make this clear. The company my husband works for are taking care of everything else related to our relocation inc VISAs. They may well also help with sourcing childcare but I feel it important to at least do a bit of homework on something this important.

The relocation package has yet to be finalised so having an understanding of what childcare costs, will allow us to gauge whether the move is financially viable.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I probably didn't make this clear. The company my husband works for are taking care of everything else related to our relocation inc VISAs.
Just make sure they gross it up so you don't get stumped with a big tax bill.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just make sure they gross it up so you don't get stumped with a big tax bill.
Or only plan on spending 70% of it, so you have the funds to pay the bill.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I probably didn't make this clear. The company my husband works for are taking care of everything else related to our relocation inc VISAs. They may well also help with sourcing childcare but I feel it important to at least do a bit of homework on something this important.

The relocation package has yet to be finalised so having an understanding of what childcare costs, will allow us to gauge whether the move is financially viable.
Have you asked whether his company has a childcare facility on site? You never know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.