Chicago

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

AJourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago

Hey I am new to this site. I am looking to gain an internship in Chicago this summer to live with my girlfriend before eventually getting married and remaining in the USA with her. Does anybody here have any experience/recommendations of businesses that offer internships in business/finance/ legal internships in Chicago.

Thank you so much for your help
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago

I think an internship would be done on a J1 visa, which requires proof you will return home. Often comes with a 2 year home stay requirement too.

From what you say, I don't think what you're planning to do is legal by immigration law and/or advisable.

I could be wrong, but one of the more knowledgable forum members will be along soon to advise you.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that a J-1 is what you'll probably need. You might have to return to the UK to do a spouse immigrant visa process when the time comes.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

AJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response. Yes that would be the plan to return to the U.K. after livi together before getting married.

Thank you for your help
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a J1, you might have to stay in England (or home country) for 2 years. This is, I am led to believe, a running total of actually days in your home country. So if you went abroad just for a holiday etc, you'd have to take that away from the total time in your country once you've finished the J1.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is useful/relevant but back in the day (26 years ago) I came over on a J1 and got married 5 months in. Did my AOS and got my greencard within 5 months of the marriage. I never had to return to England. All this was via using an attorney so don't really know all the nitty gritty stuff plus its so long ago now.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

J-1 being subject to the 2-year home presence requirement was indicated on the old IAP-66. Not sure what form is currently used, but usually you are subject if the sponsoring country (state) ponied up the cash either directly or indirectly.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
J-1 being subject to the 2-year home presence requirement was indicated on the old IAP-66. Not sure what form is currently used, but usually you are subject if the sponsoring country (state) ponied up the cash either directly or indirectly.
Yep just found this here

https://j1visa.state.gov/basics/common-questions/

How do I know if I am subject to the two-year home-country foreign residency requirement?

When you agree to participate in an Exchange Visitor Program you will be subject to the two-year home-country foreign residency requirement if your exchange program is funded by either your government or the U.S. government, involves specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary by your home country or you received graduate medical training. If this requirement applies, you must return to your home country for a cumulative total of two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. You are not prohibited from traveling to the United States but may not benefit from certain employment-based or family-based visas until the foreign residency requirement is satisfied.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Not sure if this is useful/relevant but back in the day (26 years ago) I came over on a J1 and got married 5 months in. Did my AOS and got my greencard within 5 months of the marriage. I never had to return to England. All this was via using an attorney so don't really know all the nitty gritty stuff plus its so long ago now.
Not all J1 visa's are subject to the 2 year home stay requirement. It says on your visa when you are, I believe.

I know my J1 from summer camp wasn't subject to it.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most J1's are not subject to a 2 Year HRR.

And many adjust in country through marriage.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:51 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Although many stay and adjust, the J-1 is not a dual intent visa and to use it to get into the country with the intention of adjusting status is a no-no.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would need to be a decision made once you are in the US.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Just get married, then have no restrictions?