Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chappie Dog Food in the US?

Chappie Dog Food in the US?

Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chappie Dog Food in the US?

Originally Posted by thinbrit
It is a common myth that Acana has not had a recall. Alana is made by Champion Petfoods. They have had their share of recalls for sure. Including a case of salmonella:
Import Refusal Report

and this one ...
http://www.wherearethepetfoodchampio...A_RECALL_1.pdf
... where the manufacturer threatened vets with legal action for speaking out against them
The 7.30 Report - ABC
Recall is for Australia, but anyhow they have far less issues then say Purina or Mars.

They don't show up on this link which is the one I was using.

Recalls & Withdrawals

Mars, Nestle, Purina = waste of money and too risky in my view.

I can't see on the link you provided where the FDA did a recall though.

I am happy with the food, dog likes it, and is still one of the better foods out there.

Nutrition is just not something I trust vets on, but I don't trust my own doctor on nutrition either.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 17th 2015 at 6:08 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

My dog gets Costco Kirkland Natures Domain dry food. She likes it. Good value, actually has meat as the first ingredient and is grain free.

Pretty much all have had some sort of recall. Whatever you do don't start reading reviews on websites with names like petparentdogfoodadvocate.com there's always someone there claiming their dog died after being struck by a car but it was probably really the dog food which they kept feeding to their pet for months even though it always made it vomit. Yes I know there have been some real issues with injuries and deaths to dogs but some people get really militant about it.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Mars, Nestle, Purina = waste of money and too risky in my view.
93% of the mid priced pet food is sold by the above 3 companies. Therefore they have about a 15x greater chance of something going wrong than all the other pet food companies combined.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also produce a large amount of mid priced pet food for competitors with just different labeling (ex. Kirkland) as well as their plants being used to produce competitors high priced pet food.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 17th 2015 at 6:44 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
93% of the mid priced pet food is sold by the above 3 companies. Therefore they have about a 15x greater chance of something going wrong than all the other pet food companies combined.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if they also produce a large amount of pet food for competitors with just different labeling (ex. Kirkland).
I agree totally. Mars and Nestle really dominate the global market so will be subject to a greater failure number. Mars also own Royal Canin and Iams brands too. Purina is part of Nestle.

I do not actually think that Mars manufacture for others though. There are a few companies that are purely set up to toll manufacture products. Basically (if you have enough money) you can start your own brand and they will prepare a product to meet the spec you set.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be surprised if they also produce a large amount of mid priced pet food for competitors with just different labeling (ex. Kirkland) as well as their plants being used to produce competitors high priced pet food.
Yes they do, but they also use low quality ingredients of poor quality and a lot of fillers not necessary but they are cheap.

Mars, Purina and the like do not make a good product. Its like if you ate junk food everyday vs a more balanced diet with whole foods.

This is a mars brand, Pedigree, you cannot honestly say this is a quality food, filled with fillers, and artificial colors and crap no needed in dog food.

GROUND WHOLE CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/CITRIC ACID), SOYBEAN MEAL, GROUND WHOLE WHEAT, BREWERS RICE, DRIED PLAIN BEET PULP, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, VEGETABLE OIL ([SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID] PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, A-TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], NIACIN, BIOTIN, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT) MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, COPPER PROTEINATE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE), ADDED FD&C COLORS (RED 40, YELLOW 5, BLUE 2).

Beneful Original a Purina brand.

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, rice flour, beef, soy flour, meat and bone meal, propylene glycol, sugar, tricalcium phosphate, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), mono and dicalcium phosphate, dried spinach, dried peas, dried carrots, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Red 40, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, Blue 2, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

They might be bigger which increases their risk, but they really use crappy stuff in their food.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Diamond makes the Kirkland brand.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
They do.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have long suspected that a lot of petfood production is contracted out to suppliers who make the customer's recipe and churn out x'000 cans/ bags a day.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Our fairly new, adopted-from-shelter puppy arrived with a nice dose of diarrhoea.

The vet suggested California Natural chicken/rice as it has very few ingredients. The diarrhoea has gone but he's very bored with his food now.

I boil up some chicken breasts and chicken livers to have as treats for training, and he adores them.

I'm not sure what we'll do next, but the California Natural has really helped with his sensitive tum.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have long suspected that a lot of petfood production is contracted out to suppliers who make the customer's recipe and churn out x'000 cans/ bags a day.
A good chunk do just that. There are some brands though who do make all their product in house and don't outsource or make another companies product.

I recall a article a bit back about someone who opened a bag of the food they had and it wasn't the same look or texture, and turned out the company outsources the production to one who makes food for several companies and they screwed up when packaging it.

Another reason why I prefer companies who do the production in house, once you outsource, you lose direct control over your product.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kins
Our fairly new, adopted-from-shelter puppy arrived with a nice dose of diarrhoea.

The vet suggested California Natural chicken/rice as it has very few ingredients. The diarrhoea has gone but he's very bored with his food now.

I boil up some chicken breasts and chicken livers to have as treats for training, and he adores them.

I'm not sure what we'll do next, but the California Natural has really helped with his sensitive tum.
A little bit of salmon or sardines mixed into the dry food? That is what we do with ours as she isn't too fond of dry food, we had a 1tsp of either salmon, cooked but cooled and pureed and mix is into her dry food, we do the same with the sardines.

The vet gave us the idea instead of using wet food to mix in.

Obviously with a bigger dog, 1tsp may not be enough.

Our's is a little dog, and just doesn't seem to like dry food, but eats it no issue with a bit of fish mixed in.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give that a try - thanks :-)
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:33 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. OP posts once, a year ago, and never comes back. A quick google search suggested nothing special (beyond marketing BS) about Chappie. I wonder what he/she ended up doing.

My dog is badly allergic to one or more grains, so she gets grain-free from a variety of companies. Unfortunately, you never really know who's truly making the stuff or where it comes from. Her favorite is clearly Merrick - they must be putting doggie crack in those cans.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Meh. OP posts once, a year ago, and never comes back. A quick google search suggested nothing special (beyond marketing BS) about Chappie. I wonder what he/she ended up doing.

Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:36 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Diamond manufactures quite a few brands UPDATED: CORRECT PRODUCTION CODE INFORMATION Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food Due to Potential Salmonella Contamination but at least they were honest about their recall unlike Blue Buffalo and their pushy employees. One tried to feed our dog during an in-store promotion even though I told them no, and then tried to deny the recall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.