Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chappie Dog Food in the US?

Chappie Dog Food in the US?

Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chappie Dog Food in the US?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's about the only thing that isn't most likely, along with chicken wings and drum sticks, but chicken is a premium meat so not cheap and certainly too much $$$ to feed the dog with, pork is still cheapest meat, but even pork chops are mostly boneless, and still 4-5 per pound.

Stores don't even have a meat department anymore, everything comes pre-wrapped and ready to sell. No meat counter anymore.

T-bone steaks are out of my range, so I can't even say for sure the store sells them.....
Never, never, never give your dog chicken that has bones, they splinter and are very sharp and can penetrate the gullet and stomach walls.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Never, never, never give your dog chicken that has bones, they splinter and are very sharp and can penetrate the gullet and stomach walls.
That's actually not true. I asked my sister about that when I saw her feeding "chicken on the bone" to her dogs. She feeds her dogs raw food on the advice of her vet, who had recommended raw chicken with bones, and the story about chicken bones is apparently, much to my surprise, an old wives tale with no factual merit. My sister's dogs are lab-mixes, so a fair size; I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 17th 2015 at 11:20 am.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's actually not true. I asked my sister about that when I saw her feeding "chicken on the bone" to her dogs. She feeds her dogs raw food on the advice of her vet, who had recommended chicken with bones, and the story about chicken bones is apparently, much to my surprise, an old wives tale with no factual merit. My sister's dogs are lab-mixes, so a fair size; I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Raw chicken bones are safer than cooked ones as the cooking hardens the bone and makes it more likely to splinter. I had Irish Setters, and fed them raw bones, and cooked ones, but never chicken, usually beef.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Raw chicken bones are safer than cooked ones as the cooking hardens the bone and makes it more likely to splinter. I had Irish Setters, and fed them raw bones, and cooked ones, but never chicken, usually beef.
Ah yes, I can see that cooking the chicken bones would make a difference.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not feeding her any bones, so no worries there. I don't even buy chicken for us to eat....

Pulaski, we can thank these folks for the high price of chicken.

Supply Management | British Columbia Chicken Marketing Board

We also have a milk marketing board who controls the supply of milk, which is why dairy products have such insane prices here vs the US.

Generally meat goes in the following order price wise, top being cheapest bottom being the priciest.

Fish such as salmon and trout
Beef
Pork
Chicken
Specialty meats like bison, kangaroo and such.

Food is a pricey thing to obtain here at times, a gallon of milk is almost 5 dollars, a pack of shredded cheese (2 cups) is 7-9 dollars, 2kg block runs close to 20 dollars.

Fruit except banana's run 2-5 per pound, banana's run about a dollar a pound.

Go up to Northern Canada and prices will give you a heart attack. The pictures attached are actual prices in stores in Northern Canada.
Attached Thumbnails Chappie Dog Food in the US?-milk.jpg   Chappie Dog Food in the US?-north-prices.jpeg   Chappie Dog Food in the US?-water.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:54 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It is a common myth that Acana has not had a recall. Alana is made by Champion Petfoods. They have had their share of recalls for sure. Including a case of salmonella:
Import Refusal Report

and this one ...
http://www.wherearethepetfoodchampio...A_RECALL_1.pdf
... where the manufacturer threatened vets with legal action for speaking out against them
The 7.30 Report - ABC

I feed Acana, even with her sensitivity she reacts well. I don't personally trust vets when it comes to food, the stuff in their offices is generally poor and filled with fillers like corn, I prefer the more wholesome blends of food with limited grains and fillers.

I wouldn't feed anything made by Mars, Purina, Iams and the like, it's all low quality in my view.

But when it comes to dog food, everyone has an opinion, based on my research better to stick with smaller companies not owned by some mega corporation.

Just check the FDA website and see how many recalls some of these companies have.

Acana also makes a food called Orijen, our pup has done very good on this companies food and from what I can find, they have never had a recall.

This is the food the vet said to feed:

rewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, wheat gluten, oat groats, chicken fat, natural flavors, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, powdered cellulose, salt, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, fructooligosaccharides, sodium tripolyphosphate, L-lysine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], taurine, choline chloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), glucosamine hydrochloride, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], tea, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Dachshund / BREED HEALTH NUTRITIONâ„¢ / Dog Products / Products / Products / Home Royal Canin USA - Royal Canin

This is what we decided to food based on my research

Chicken meal, steel-cut oats, chicken fat, deboned chicken, whole potato, peas, whole egg, deboned flounder, sun-cured alfalfa, chicken liver, herring oil, pea fiber, whole apples, whole pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender.

Vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Puppy Small Breed | ACANA Pet Foods

I just couldn't feed her the Royal Canin with a list of ingredients like that.

Opinions vary, and this is simply from my research and seeing my dog and how well she is on the Acana, good skin, firm stools, nice coat. Not saying anyone else is wrong, and we all have our own opinion based on research we do.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:56 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We had a case at Thanksgiving when the owner gave the dog the whole, cooked, turkey carcass after their family meal. It was a PD service dog. It required surgery to remove all the impacted bones. An expensive mistake, and one that could have proved fatal.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

everything is boneless these days.
Boneless
Attached Thumbnails Chappie Dog Food in the US?-boneless-chicken-ranch-far-side-247x300.png  
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Boneless
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Boneless
even less bones..
Attached Thumbnails Chappie Dog Food in the US?-th.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:55 pm

even less bones..

Why I was a young whipper-snapper, my grandma used to say we were having chicken for dinner. "Chicken in a shell"...
Old Mar 17th 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Why I was a young whipper-snapper, my grandma used to say we were having chicken for dinner. "Chicken in a shell"...
Is that like "chicken of the sea"?
Old Mar 17th 2015, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lamb was one of the cheaper meats in my youth, not here.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 4:28 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by HG72
Hi there, urgently trying to find out where I can purchase Chappie Dog Food in the US.
3 Dogs with sensitive stomachs and are able to ship the food over from the UK but would make it easier if I could purchase in US.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know where I can purchase?
These people claim world wide delivery..

Chappie Dog Food delivered straight to your door - Buy online with worldwide delivery
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is that like "chicken of the sea"?
Chicken in a shell:

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lamb was one of the cheaper meats in my youth, not here.
Same here. Mum also used to buy cheap cuts of beef for Sunday roast. I couldn't understand why my compliment, made as a nipper, that "mmmmm, the meat is nice and chewy" was met with shock at first, and then hysterics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.