Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cell phone coverage, experiences?

Cell phone coverage, experiences?

Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Cell phone coverage, experiences?

I've got a Cingular phone that won't work in my office - when it rings I have to run to the other side of the buiding to catch the caller before they ring off.

Good plan though,the monthly minutes roll over, and we get unlimited free calls between my phone and my wife's.

If I could actually receive the free calls - it would be superb!!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell phone coverage, experiences?

I've been using my Sony Ericson T68, it's unlocked, and haven't had a problem when in cities, but coverage is soooo bad in New England, which is why I ain't bothered getting a new plan, still using my O2 Pay as you go from UK as it works out being cheaper than using local alternatives for the rare times I actually need and get mobile reception.....

Do get roamin with ATT, T-mobile, which is weird, and with Voicestream....
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:55 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bobz
Do get roamin with ATT, T-mobile, which is weird, and with Voicestream....
T-Mobile USA *is* Voicestream. Deutsche Telekom bought Voicestream and renamed them to be part of the global brand.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We've got U.S. Cellular!!!....loath it!...we can't wait until the contract runs out in November....it's pretty sad when there's a tower on the edge of our tiny town and we still can't get a signal in our house(anywhere!)to speak to our son just at the end of our street!!!!NEVER GET U.S. CELLULAR AGAIN!!!!
(Can anyone tell we're pretty peeved with it?!!!!) Good luck with whatever service you all have!!......Sophia (Illinois)(a different planet, maybe?!)
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
T-Mobile USA *is* Voicestream. Deutsche Telekom bought Voicestream and renamed them to be part of the global brand.
Which is why I said it was weird....I can still pick both names up when I get to a city.....though I'm sure it won't last...
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Reading through all these posts, I wonder why anyone has a mobile phone in the US. Sounds like no company can guarantee coverage to/from anywhere.

I borrowed my sister-in-law's mobile (pay as you go) while I was at home and in France during July, and it worked briliantly. I made several calls from various out-of-the-way places in France (including mountains) to people in the US and UK, no problem. If I could guarantee that kind of coverage in the US I'd consider it but all I ever seem to hear from friends here with mobiles are complaints about how crap their service is.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dunroving
Reading through all these posts, I wonder why anyone has a mobile phone in the US. Sounds like no company can guarantee coverage to/from anywhere.

I borrowed my sister-in-law's mobile (pay as you go) while I was at home and in France during July, and it worked briliantly. I made several calls from various out-of-the-way places in France (including mountains) to people in the US and UK, no problem. If I could guarantee that kind of coverage in the US I'd consider it but all I ever seem to hear from friends here with mobiles are complaints about how crap their service is.

Your right, service is poor, very expensive breaking contract, the phones suck, and getting sim cards isn't easy...and having to pay to recieve calls, and having calls rounded up to the minute is annoying...and pay as you go over here has to be topped up very regulary for it to work, and if you don't use the minutes they expire, with the ATT pay as you go plan...
And if your not in a city, it's pretty much impossible to get a signal...and even then you'll probably end up roaming from one end of a mall to the next...